Old 05-26-2008, 05:24 PM   #31
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Quote:
Cal wrote
Kate you are 41 years too late.
Yup!

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #32
Facehammer

I think that, since time came into existence at the Big Bang, this would also have been the start-point of causality. I think it's quite a neat solution, and I have never seen any actual evidence against it.

There. Now back to nonsense: why are naturists always old and/or fat?
Old 05-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #33
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
Yup!
Wow, what a cute girl.....

After my 1st Birthday in 1943, I was ready to roll. Ahhh life was great I had slaves called Family that gave me everything.

Today I ask, where are they? Why do I have to work to live? that's infamy..
In Pace deorum.

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #34
Kate

Quote:
Facehammer wrote View Post
why are naturists always old and/or fat?
I give up, Facehammer. Why are naturists always old and/or fat?

Old 05-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #35
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
hmmmm wrote View Post
Yes, I realize your position...I was just curious if there were some good explanations you could offer that don't include God...
I don't know of any good explanations that do include God.

That's a very misleading statement you made there, you sneaky bastage.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:14 PM   #36
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
I give up, Facehammer. Why are naturists always old and/or fat?

Was this a riddle? I was trying to think of the punch line, but got caught up in the graphics of sagging old people walking around naked in their gardens.

You’d think that if naturalists really wanted to recruit members they’d have some hot titty chicks standing in front of super markets or maybe some Mormon missionary type doll boys going from door to door with only a tie and a name badge.

I peeked into a nudist club once. Yuck! If I wanted to see a bunch of out of shape saggy-balled men standing around I’d just go to the locker room at the gym.

Screw the nudist shit! I’ll stick to the go go clubs.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #37
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
hmmmm wrote View Post
Hello...I am just doing a little research and wanted some thoughts.

As I am assuming all Atheists here are Naturalists, though I do not know what else an Atheist would be, I was curious what answers you all here have for our universe's existence, whether it be it has always existed, came into existence from nothing, multi universe theory, etc. etc.
Hmmmm, welcome.

I kinda like starting posts with "Hmmmm," though that's two more "m's" than I would normally use.

Just to set you straight, Hmmmm, I am not an Atheist with a capital A. Atheism is not a religion or a belief system, at all. If you're doing research on atheists, you'll likely find that the beliefs of many who lack a belief in deities (be it one of the many Christian conceptions of this alleged entity or those claimed by others) span the spectrum.

We're not all wild hedonists, we don't necessarily live to vex devout theists, and while some of us may be fond of infants, we would never consider eating them. From that standpoint, we're probably not all that different from you.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Naturalist," but I don't like the label, especially not when you capitalize the first letter of the word. Speaking purely for myself, I'm willing to bet I'm no more "natural" than you. I am using a computer to communicate with you, after all.

If you mean that I don't have a belief in the alleged "supernatural," well, you're right; I don't. I've seen no evidence of this alleged thing. If it exists, it stands to reason that it's part of the natural world.

Personally, I don't spend a lot of time contemplating how the universe came into being. I lack the basic scientific knowledge and, frankly, the aptitude to even begin figuring that out, first of all. Secondly, in the absence of a definitive answer, it always seemed to me to be presumptuous to go with someone else's made-up answer, especially when it clearly defies all common sense and logic. I can live without knowing the answer to that question, mainly, because I have no choice.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #38
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
That must be Laika's earth-bound sibling.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #39
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
hmmmm wrote View Post
Yes, I realize your position...I was just curious if there were some good explanations you could offer that don't include God...
We do not need to include god in explanations or in speculations, nor even in our daydreams.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:07 AM   #40
VladTheImpaler
Obsessed Member

Quote:
hmmmm wrote View Post
God is a non-answer. God simply adds another layer coating of bullshit. If you state that God created the universe you’re left with what or who created God? Now if you can’t answer that you might as well go back to not being able to answer who or what process created the universe.

So far, my human reasoning skills, lacking as they may be, have concluded that the (multi)universe has always existed in one form or another.
VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:24 AM   #41
Facehammer

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
Was this a riddle? I was trying to think of the punch line, but got caught up in the graphics of sagging old people walking around naked in their gardens.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. It's not a riddle as much as a horrible, horrible mystery.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #42
Kate

Old 05-27-2008, 08:41 AM   #43
zer0

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
Hmmmm, welcome.

I kinda like starting posts with "Hmmmm," though that's two more "m's" than I would normally use.

Just to set you straight, Hmmmm, I am not an Atheist with a capital A. Atheism is not a religion or a belief system, at all. If you're doing research on atheists, you'll likely find that the beliefs of many who lack a belief in deities (be it one of the many Christian conceptions of this alleged entity or those claimed by others) span the spectrum.

We're not all wild hedonists, we don't necessarily live to vex devout theists, and while some of us may be fond of infants, we would never consider eating them. From that standpoint, we're probably not all that different from you.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Naturalist," but I don't like the label, especially not when you capitalize the first letter of the word. Speaking purely for myself, I'm willing to bet I'm no more "natural" than you. I am using a computer to communicate with you, after all.

If you mean that I don't have a belief in the alleged "supernatural," well, you're right; I don't. I've seen no evidence of this alleged thing. If it exists, it stands to reason that it's part of the natural world.

Personally, I don't spend a lot of time contemplating how the universe came into being. I lack the basic scientific knowledge and, frankly, the aptitude to even begin figuring that out, first of all. Secondly, in the absence of a definitive answer, it always seemed to me to be presumptuous to go with someone else's made-up answer, especially when it clearly defies all common sense and logic. I can live without knowing the answer to that question, mainly, because I have no choice.
Good points Irr. I think the word he might have intended was materialist, or natural materialist? I hear that word kicked around a lot too to try to encompass some "block" of philosophy that every atheist is magically supposed to adhere to. It's so misunderstood. I don't like labels either, and I especially don't like labeling fellow atheists as anything rather than simply atheist. Hell, I don't even like that word.

For some of your questions hmmmm, you should know that the Universe definitely has a beginning. We know it has not always been here. In the process of determining where it came from, how and why, we do not feel the need to create a pan-dimensional, omnipresent, omniscient, omni-benevolent being that loves us and watches our every move. Science can explain a lot without sky daddy!

P.S. So that's where the G-spot is... elusive bastard!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #44
YHWH

Grin

Quote:
hmmmm wrote View Post
Hello...I am just doing a little research and wanted some thoughts.

As I am assuming all Atheists here are Naturalists, though I do not know what else an Atheist would be, I was curious what answers you all here have for our universe's existence, whether it be it has always existed, came into existence from nothing, multi universe theory, etc. etc.
Atheists are clueless when it comes to the beginning of space and time. They have no clue if God made it all possible.. They have no clue if it happened by some sheer chaotic event.. They have no clue if the universe is eternal, or was it created or formed? The best answer you will receive by an atheist is something like.. "God didn't do it."

The endless Atheist Vs. Christian debate;

Atheist - "God doesn't exist"
Christian - "Yes he does"
Atheist - "No he doesn't"
Old 05-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #45
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
YHWH wrote View Post
Atheists are clueless when it comes to the beginning of space and time.
As are YOU. What do you actually know about it beyond your baseless speculation? Nada, it seems. So get off your high hobby-horse, pal.

Quote:
YHWH wrote
They have no clue if God made it all possible.. They have no clue if it happened by some sheer chaotic event.. They have no clue if the universe is eternal, or was it created or formed? The best answer you will receive by an atheist is something like.. "God didn't do it."
Again, anybody can speculate on the unknowable. That hardly makes you special. I'm still waiting for one of you speculators to give me an accurate description of what a god is supposed to be. The best I can make out from all of your ridiculous blather is he's an invisible, "supernatural" white man in the sky or out there in the ether somewhere. Try explaining how this alleged entity managed to do anything beyond just asserting that it did. Give us the nuts and bolts of how something invisible and immaterial performs concrete tasks. I dare ya.

Quote:
YHWH wrote
The endless Atheist Vs. Christian debate;

Atheist - "God doesn't exist"
Atheist - "No he doesn't"
Uh-uh, buddy, you got that wrong. Goes more like this:
Christian: "God exists."
Atheist: Yeah? Where's your evidence?
Christian: *crickets*

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote