Old 02-28-2012, 03:00 AM   #721
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Victus, crab fishing is dangerous. Liver removal is fatal 100% bingo bongo. Do you get the difference yet? Not many people live without their heart. Kidneys I can understand the point you are making a little more, as that argument would be similar to the crab fishing scenario. Lung transplants, possibly, though it is a highly unsuccessful process, and not as harmless as kidney removal. My problem of cartel private companies abusing the "unregulated system" has not been adressed. That is why I accept you are in a corner and offer you the chance to discuss the futility of windfarms, outdside the gussets of underwear.

A theist is just an atheist with a space in it.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:20 AM   #722
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ILOVEJESUS wrote View Post
Victus, crab fishing is dangerous. Liver removal is fatal 100% bingo bongo. Do you get the difference yet?
At best, that's an argument against removing whole livers, versus partial liver transplants or single-kidney donations. Those, like crab fishing, are (lower) risks, rather than a death sentence.

Quote:
ILJ wrote
Not many people live without their heart. Kidneys I can understand the point you are making a little more, as that argument would be similar to the crab fishing scenario. Lung transplants, possibly, though it is a highly unsuccessful process, and not as harmless as kidney removal.
Then, logically, you must support legal sales for those organs.

Quote:
ILJ wrote
My problem of cartel private companies abusing the "unregulated system" has not been adressed.
Because there is no problem, any more than there is a problem with unregulated lamp manufacturers. The same economics apply.

Quote:
ILJ wrote
That is why I accept you are in a corner and offer you the chance to discuss the futility of windfarms, outdside the gussets of underwear.
I'm not the one in the corer.

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:44 AM   #723
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Simply put: you can make a living in the crab fishing industry. A job that supports you for years. You sell a kidney once. Then what? Sell another piece of yourself. And then another, until you compromise your health to the point where you are disabled. How are these things comparable?

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #724
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Stargazer wrote View Post
Simply put: you can make a living in the crab fishing industry. A job that supports you for years. You sell a kidney once. Then what? Sell another piece of yourself. And then another, until you compromise your health to the point where you are disabled. How are these things comparable?
Ok, so you believe that selling your kidney once should be illegal, but fishing for crab for a decade, which has 100x the cumulative risk level, should be legal? If that's your argument, then you've abandoned any pretense of caring about peoples' safety.

If the fact that it's a one-off arrangement is the source of your objection, then you should reject all such one-off deals. For instance, game show contestants are likely only to appear once on a given show, only a handful of people make any kind of living by serially appearing on game shows as contestants. Do you think game shows should be banned?

If not, then maybe you don't think that one-off trades is such a big deal.

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Old 02-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #725
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Well heart donations are 100% definite death resulting. Crab fishing isn't. Lung transplants could be even more risky etc. You can finish a days work ( if you live) and not be any the worse for wear. That would not be the same after a heart or lung op. Partial liver transplants are not the same as full liver. You are in a corner.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #726
Irreligious
I Live Here

Stargazer, don't you understand?

Selling your vital organs is just like crab fishing. They're both dangerous ways to make a living, just like tightrope walking and stock car racing. Shouldn't every cash-strapped Joe or Jane with no skill or training be encouraged to ply all of these lucrative trades with no interference from government?

Surely, after our intrepid organ sellers have each sold a few organs, these brave entrepreneurs will get better at it with each transaction, reducing the inherent risks involved.

Logically, that's how it would work, right?

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #727
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ILOVEJESUS wrote View Post
Well heart donations are 100% definite death resulting. Crab fishing isn't. Lung transplants could be even more risky etc. You can finish a days work ( if you live) and not be any the worse for wear. That would not be the same after a heart or lung op. Partial liver transplants are not the same as full liver. You are in a corner.
I notice you've started leaving out things like kidney and partial liver donations. Does that mean that you've ceded the point on those organ groups?

Old 02-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #728
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
Stargazer, don't you understand?

Selling your vital organs is just like crab fishing. They're both dangerous ways to make a living, just like tightrope walking and stock car racing. Shouldn't every cash-strapped Joe or Jane with no skill or training be encouraged to ply all of these lucrative trades with no interference from government?

Surely, after our intrepid organ sellers have each sold a few organs, these brave entrepreneurs will get better at it with each transaction, reducing the inherent risks involved.

Logically, that's how it would work, right?
Not in this universe. You didn't factor in greed and exploitation.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Old 02-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #729
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
Victus wrote View Post
I notice you've started leaving out things like kidney and partial liver donations. Does that mean that you've ceded the point on those organ groups?
For the sake of the crab fishing analogies etc yes, as they are not certain death. I have never said ( I don't think), that you would die from donating a kidney, my point was the risk to complications and quality of life that could be lost through it. I am not the enemy here Victus, just trying to improve your Libertarianism into super Libertarianism. Feel the glory brother lol.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #730
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Greed is fine, just don'r exploit others with it lol.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #731
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Not in this universe. You didn't factor in greed and exploitation.
You didn't miss his sarcasm, did you?

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:46 AM   #732
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
lostsheep wrote View Post
You didn't miss his sarcasm, did you?
(No, not at all. I was giggling when I responded.)

Ahem. Yes, Irr and lostsheep. Victus has totally convinced me to go out and sell a kidney and an eye right away. Think of the profit!

Old 02-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #733
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
(No, not at all. I was giggling when I responded.)

Ahem. Yes, Irr and lostsheep. Victus has totally convinced me to go out and sell a kidney and an eye right away. Think of the profit!
Haha, I missed yours!

But I really want to find a link to that outer limits episode. It's very funny in a dark way.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #734
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
lostsheep wrote View Post
Haha, I missed yours!

But I really want to find a link to that outer limits episode. It's very funny in a dark way.
Is it this one?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0667979/

Old 03-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #735
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

No, but thanks for looking. I looked through all the old episodes and I can't find it. I am thinking it was on some other similar series, and I will continue to look, because it is so apropos.