Old 12-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #46
BOF

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
Og replies: "You say this ties in with the fight/flight impulse? Then I'll just have fun beating the crap out of you instead. Now, that's fun!"
and hence was born the sport of boxing.

I also think all kinds of competitive sports are sublimations/transferences of more basic urges.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #47
simpledon

My contribution to the OP. It was sent to me by a friend.

If we had no moon ...

Basically if the earth had no moon we wouldn't be here. The earth would be a water covered planet (Water World!) and octopus type life forms the ones with the highest intelligence.

The moon was formed by a mars sized planet striking the earth off center causing the mass that became the moon to be blown into near earth orbit where it coalesced over hundreds to thousands of years into the moon. It's initial orbit was only about 23,000 kms (verses 400,000 km now). The moon then appeared 50 times larger in our night sky than it does today. The day was only 4 hours long. The increase in moon orbit and length of day was caused by drag due to tides.

Man, I love this stuff. How anyone would prefer religion/bible to science/truth is beyond me. But they do.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #48
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
simpledon wrote View Post
My contribution to the OP. It was sent to me by a friend.

If we had no moon ...

Basically if the earth had no moon we wouldn't be here. The earth would be a water covered planet (Water World!) and octopus type life forms the ones with the highest intelligence.

The moon was formed by a mars sized planet striking the earth off center causing the mass that became the moon to be blown into near earth orbit where it coalesced over hundreds to thousands of years into the moon. It's initial orbit was only about 23,000 kms (verses 400,000 km now). The moon then appeared 50 times larger in our night sky than it does today. The day was only 4 hours long. The increase in moon orbit and length of day was caused by drag due to tides.

Man, I love this stuff. How anyone would prefer religion/bible to science/truth is beyond me. But they do.
Because they are retarded, & retards love Goddly fairy tales void of substance..they are stuck reading the same book of myths over & over & over.....andto top it all they STUDY it.....and Christ-psychotics are not retarded?

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:27 PM   #49
simpledon

Quote:
calpurnpiso wrote View Post
Because they are retarded, & retards love Goddly fairy tales void of substance..they are stuck reading the same book of myths over & over & over.....andto top it all they STUDY it.....and Christ-psychotics are not retarded?
I don't believe these people are retarded or psychotic. I mean there are a lot of beliefs based on delusion, not reality, which are not mental disorders. Look at libertarians, supply side economics, self correcting free enterprise, communism, basic goodness of man, check is in the mail for examples.

By definition the religious cannot see the delusion. But it is a delusion implanted externally, for example by parents and re-enforced by the religious group, the church. I think the delusions of the true psychotic are internally generated. Think hallucinations.

The religious set up a false reality devised by the group. The psychotic wings it without any reality at all.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:53 AM   #50
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Ahh, simpledon, do you also believe that 2+2 = 6?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:08 AM   #51
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:10 AM   #52
just questions

new effort
just questions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:59 AM   #53
Steel

Owww. Thaaaat had to hurt. This place is frickin sweet!

Irreligious:
Quote:
At some point, folks without the stomach for bitter discord will decide to throw in the towel while others will commence slapping each other with it.
Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:26 AM   #54
simpledon

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Ahh, simpledon, do you also believe that 2+2 = 6?
2 + 2 = 4, 2 + 2 = 11, 2 + 2 = 10 are correct depending on the base number (=>5,3,4).
Belief has nothing to do with it.
2 + 2 = 6 is always wrong.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #55
nkb

That is correct. 2+2 does not equal 6. Ergo, you are wrong in not accepting that belief in God is a psychosis.

Can you dig the Cal logic?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #56
simpledon

No. This logic is stuck with only black & white. He is saying that God belief = delusion = psychosis. Case proved. This ignores any grey, any consideration of degree.

This is provides the religious with an example of atheist excess and intolerance. It should be discouraged. Even if Cal holds it as a solemn truth he should learn to keep it bottled up inside and never, ever express it aloud. When he does he should hear that it is wrong and borders on batshit crazy.

Sorry to derail a rather pleasant thread. I haven't been here in a while and it seems Cal always received a free ride by being ignored. I see that others in other threads have questioned him lately.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #57
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Speaking of borders...

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #58
simpledon

Which side is batshit crazy?
Old 12-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #59
nkb

Quote:
simpledon wrote View Post
No. This logic is stuck with only black & white. He is saying that God belief = delusion = psychosis. Case proved. This ignores any grey, any consideration of degree.

This is provides the religious with an example of atheist excess and intolerance. It should be discouraged. Even if Cal holds it as a solemn truth he should learn to keep it bottled up inside and never, ever express it aloud. When he does he should hear that it is wrong and borders on batshit crazy.

Sorry to derail a rather pleasant thread. I haven't been here in a while and it seems Cal always received a free ride by being ignored. I see that others in other threads have questioned him lately.
I'm with you, 100%. I just like to emulate Cal's retarded logic whenever someone else disagrees with him.

Yes, "Cal logic" is really an oxymoron.

Anyway, enough of this, as you said, we are derailing this very interesting thread.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #60
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote