Old 08-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #406
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
Seriously, Master Choobus, which would you prefer to deal with, troll or tard?
In this case one need not choose

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #407
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
I'm curious as to why these two geniuses are so intent on separating these two particular cults from the rest of the cults. Yes, their beliefs are embarassing, but they're no worse (and in some cases, slightly better) than the mainstream Christians like the RCC.

Not believing the whole transsubstantiation is a good start, so every non-RCC Christian has that advantage.
Also, believing Jesus was the son of God, without the tortured complication of also being God, sounds slightly more sane as well.
Before you lose your grip, please do not expect sanity in dogma.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #408
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Dumbcow wrote View Post
It might sound more sane but it is not Christianity.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #409
wohaz

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
This is all irrelevant. What is relevant is the need for words to accurately convey some sort of meaning. "Christian" cannot be used the way you and that lunatic Irreligious (among others) want to use it. It simply cannot describe JWs and, say, Baptists because they have different beliefs that are not conveyed by using the same word to describe those differing beliefs. Words simply don't mean whatever you want them to mean whenever you want them to mean it. If you try, you will find that you neither understand anything nor can anyone understand you.
..i will let that sit for the moment...
Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
I'm curious as to why these two geniuses are so intent on separating these two particular cults from the rest of the cults. Yes, their beliefs are embarassing, but they're no worse (and in some cases, slightly better) than the mainstream Christians like the RCC.

Not believing the whole transsubstantiation is a good start, so every non-RCC Christian has that advantage.
Also, believing Jesus was the son of God, without the tortured complication of also being God, sounds slightly more sane as well.
because, religion by its own standards, depening on who you talk to, is right.
the best you will ever get is "well, they are okay, and they are close enough, but this is the real religion."
welcoming and accepting certain groups in this manner lets you sound somehat giving and kind.
but if you extend it to the farthest reaches, you create an anything goes deal. once that happens, say they accept satanism(yes i know, shut up lily )then you are left with no credibility for your religion.
after all, what is t say you are right if satanism can be right too?

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
No it is not irrelevant. Those are the core beliefs that unite Christendom. Your lunatic refusal to accept the obvious is your problem, not mine.
the core beliefs of christianity are subject to falsification yes?
lets take a hypothetical look back into the place that it was all
VOTED on.

do you see it, see the room, see the people arguing, see the two pulling eahothrs beards off becase they think the other guy is insane?
okay, your here sharing a mental picture with me.

do you see that guy all the way in the back?
he is saying that they are all wrong, and the earth is spherical.
he says that appostolic succesion is not needed nor is the trinity needed.
that was his vote.

now, in a vote, is it not possible that the many are wrong, and the one is right?
so, if anoher up coming religion decicdes taht the bishop who said it was un needed was correct, he is still modeling his beliefs after christian belifs, thus making you wrong.

i ubnderstnd your parreation for your own dogma, i really do, we all need a concrete belief structure. however, we also need to allow others to both have their own and their own abilty to discern truth from fiction.

so we are left with again, opinion vs opinion.
and again you are left with,
i am right because people who happen to be in the majority when voted on it agree with me.
the ultimate appeal to both authority that is thought of by many as non authoritative and popular vote which is what got bush elected.
both bad ideas.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #410
wohaz

oh my god ho could i have missed that!

Quote:
this one is a keeper.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #411
Eva
Super Moderator

is semiidiotarian gone....?

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #412
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Thanks, Sterny, for pointing that one out. As much as I would like to add it to my new thread, this really belongs in the Galactically Stupid Theist Quotes.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #413
Choobus
I Live Here

I think it would belong in the "business as usual theist quotes" thread, if one existed.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote