ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Tenspace wrote
Quote:
TheSnake wrote
Quote:
ghoulslime wrote
And all the tortoises and lizards came crawling out of the deserts, and all the fresh water fish came swimming to the ark, too, because salt water would kill them.
I think Noah would have needed to take all the salt water fishes too. If the nearly all of Earth was covered by water, the water level would've risen by maybe 5 kms, leaving only some mountain tops on the surface. That's probably close to the average depth of the oceans. Oceans cover 2/3rds of the surface of Earth, so the amount of water would have had to increase by 150 %. 100 % to cover 2/3rds that's already underwater and 50 % to cover the other 1/3rd.
So the average salt level would have dropped by 60 %.
Even if some species would've survived the change in the salt level, the sudden increase of 5kms in the sea depth would've deprived a lot of fishes from their food sources.
Of course all of the plants on the planet, whether undersea or on the ground, would've died during a year under such depths of water.
Ah, the salinity angle. Excellent. Your post leads me to wonder what the pressures would be under all that water. I would think that this is an opportunity to provide empirical evidence of the flood. There must be some feature or anomaly that is generated by the enormous pressures of a 5km water column. Hm...
God made the fishes bones stronger to resist the increase in pressure...or..wait...he killed all of them except two of a kind. All of those goddamn evil fish had to die because they were wicked! Just like all of the evil bunny rabbits that had to be killed because god was....ANGRY! :mad:

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:44 PM   #32
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Devedander wrote
Quote:
Tenspace wrote
Ah, the salinity angle. Excellent. Your post leads me to wonder what the pressures would be under all that water. I would think that this is an opportunity to provide empirical evidence of the flood. There must be some feature or anomaly that is generated by the enormous pressures of a 5km water column. Hm...
You forget only one pair of each of those animals needed to survive, God simply made a small exception to the rule so they could live for a long time in not so salty water without food. It's like playing a game with children, you bend the rules a bit so the game is playable becuase it was your idea to play in the first place.

As for anomalies left over from the water, God either prevented them or fixed them after the fact. He created the whole planet and the heavens, He can patch a few holes.
You think you could get your god to patch a few of the holes in your bucket head? I can't believe there is actually a theist who is stupid enough to try and engage Atheists on the subject of Noah's ark. :lol:

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
Old 09-28-2005, 04:48 PM   #33
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
UnknownUser wrote
Quote:
Devedander wrote
Helloooo... God made it so.... remember?
Translation: "LAAAAAA LAAAAA LA I CANT HEAR YOU LALLALALALALALALLAAAAALALALALALALALA"
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Old 09-28-2005, 05:48 PM   #34
Devedander

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote
Quote:
Devedander wrote
Quote:
Tenspace wrote
You forget only one pair of each of those animals needed to survive, God simply made a small exception to the rule so they could live for a long time in not so salty water without food. It's like playing a game with children, you bend the rules a bit so the game is playable becuase it was your idea to play in the first place.

As for anomalies left over from the water, God either prevented them or fixed them after the fact. He created the whole planet and the heavens, He can patch a few holes.
You think you could get your god to patch a few of the holes in your bucket head? I can't believe there is actually a theist who is stupid enough to try and engage Atheists on the subject of Noah's ark. :lol:
You weren't there, you don't know.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:52 PM   #35
Another brick in the wall

Every time I drive home from Morgantown, I pass a partial reconstruction of Noah's Ark in Frostburg, MD. They started building it in the 70s, but it's still not done. It's not very big either.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:58 PM   #36
UnknownUser

Quote:
Devedander wrote
But of course your bible makes you christians the only ones who are right...
Old 09-28-2005, 07:59 PM   #37
Another brick in the wall

Direct observation is not required to figure what happened. If it were, it would be impossible to solve crimes where there were no witnesses.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:29 PM   #38
schemanista

Quote:
Devedander wrote
Right back atcha.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:21 PM   #39
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Another brick in the wall wrote
Every time I drive home from Morgantown, I pass a partial reconstruction of Noah's Ark in Frostburg, MD. They started building it in the 70s, but it's still not done. It's not very big either.
Dude, I've seen it! I have a buddy in Frostburg. I saw it back in the early 90's. They better hurry that shit up before it starts raining.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:22 PM   #40
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Devedander wrote
Quote:
ghoulslime wrote
Quote:
Devedander wrote

What the fuck are you talking about? Of course I was there. I am Noah! I built the goddamn ark! :mad:

Old 09-28-2005, 09:35 PM   #41
ghoulslime
I Live Here

When I was in elementary school, I calculated how many animals could fit in Noah’s ark by measuring it out in the field behind our house in Idaho. It was pretty obvious that it would be impossible to even house the animals in a zoo in the space provided, let alone the food they would require.

When I was in high school, my friends and I took it a bit further and calculated the volume in cubic feet required to house two of every kind of animal in North America. We stopped at land mammals and birds if I recall correctly, as it exceeded the volume of Noah’s ark exponentially.

We thought it would impress our seminary teacher. He blustered like a son of a bitch and reached for any excuse he could find. He said that the ark was probably bigger than what the bible says.

So, we calculated the volume of the largest aircraft carrier in the United States Navy at the time, the USS Enterprise, if I recall correctly. We were not structural engineers, but we presumed Noah couldn’t have built a wooden ship much bigger than the Enterprise.

We quickly filled up the space with only a fraction of the animals we could name and find the dimensions of in our library. Again, how surprised we thought our seminary teacher would be.

We got kicked out of seminary, then as quickly as we were kicked out, we were reinstated and asked very firmly to please cease our calculations.

Ahahahahahahaha! Christianity is one big Noah’s ark!

Old 09-28-2005, 10:10 PM   #42
Devedander

Quote:
schemanista wrote
Quote:
Devedander wrote
Right back atcha.
Quote:
Direct observation is not required to figure what happened. If it were, it would be impossible to solve crimes where there were no witnesses.
You are both right. Eye witness: God.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:50 PM   #43
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
Devedander wrote
"God said so" is the equivalent of "Matter exists". If you don't believe it, fine you don't believe it and I can't convince you because I need matter to convince you.
But matter can bite. If you kick it, it kicks back, so to speak. "God said so" is not tangible, doesn't kick back, and therefore can never be the equivalent of matter.

In other words, God doesn't bite.

Those events attributed to him are nothing more than uninformed explanations of natural occurrances.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:53 PM   #44
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
Devedander wrote
Quote:
ghoulslime wrote
Quote:
Devedander wrote

But science would know, because there would be traces. But if God said, "Let there be no traces", then I guess there wouldn't be.

If we all followed that philosophy, then we'd be communicating on stone tablets and cave walls. Still. After all these years. If anything helped spark the cognitive development of humans, it was our drive to learn. When the most popular book on the planet punishes the original humans for eating from the Tree of Knowledge, it would appear to me that education and progress aren't high on God's list.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:47 AM   #45
Devedander

Quote:
Tenspace wrote
Quote:
Devedander wrote
"God said so" is the equivalent of "Matter exists". If you don't believe it, fine you don't believe it and I can't convince you because I need matter to convince you.
But matter can bite. If you kick it, it kicks back, so to speak. "God said so" is not tangible, doesn't kick back, and therefore can never be the equivalent of matter.

In other words, God doesn't bite.

Those events attributed to him are nothing more than uninformed explanations of natural occurrances.
Maybe He doesn't always bite... maybe you missinterperate His bites as results of other things... Can you prove He doesn't bite? Can you prove the hurricanes aren't produced by His divine intention? Perhaps the randomness is the great tool of The Divine...

The Chaos theory states that in any complex itterative system the smallest change can be the cause for the greatest result. How do you know when God bites it's not like the Brown Recluse spider, whos bite is virtually painless... but the results of which are astounding?

Perhaps you simply lack the ability to understand His bite... perhaps like a scientist of centuries past you simply lack the tools to truly measure His bite...

If you kick matter it kicks back... what makes it kick back?