Old 09-27-2005, 04:46 PM   #1
Another brick in the wall

The Second Law of Thermodynamics (SLOT) has been bandied about lately so I though I might clarify any misconceptions there might be about it.

One way to state SLOT is that the entropy, or disorder, of the universe is always increasing.
Another version, the Clausius version, states that no process whose sole result is the transfer of heat from a cold object to a hot object can exist.

In thermodynamics, we divide the universe into the system (whose properties we are interested in) and the surroundings. Entropy in the system can decrease as long as there is a bigger increase in the entropy of the surroundings. Mathematically:

dS_universe = dS_system + dS_surroundings (differential form)

If dS_system < 0 (decreasing entropy), then as long as dS_surroundings > -(dS_system), dS_universe > 0 and SLOT is satisfied.

Systems can be defined as open (permitting transfer of mass and energy across system boundary), closed (not permitting transfer of mass, could be allowing transfer of energy), or isolated (no transfer of mass or energy across the system boundary- special case of a closed system).

The entropy of a closed system can only increase. Since the universe is by definition a closed system (isolated, technically), its entropy can only increase. This is because there is nothing outside the universe. However, a cell can decrease its entropy as long as there is a bigger increase in entropy outside the cell. Changes in entropy are often described as changes in free energy, or G. G = H - TS. The "G" stands for Gibbs, after Josiah Gibbs, who described it first. The change in free energy (delta G) of a spontaneous reaction is negative.

This has implications for chemical reactions. Normally, most of the reactions that occur inside a cell do not occur spontaneously (positive delta G). However, a nonspontaneous reaction can occur if it is coupled with a sufficiently large spontaneous reaction ( large negative delta G).

I'm taking thermodynamics in my chemical engineering classes right now, so feel free to ask me any questions.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:50 PM   #2
Devedander

EDIT: Posted before I finished reading
Old 09-27-2005, 04:50 PM   #3
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Thanks for the post, Brick. Now we can just point theists here when they start ranting about what they "think" entropy is.

Rhinoq

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:02 PM   #4
sludge

Thermo is a no-brainer.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:23 PM   #5
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
sludge wrote
Thermo is a no-brainer.
There's only one thing worse than sludge and his gay lover slapping each other on the back telling themselves how smart and insightful they are --- sludge and his gay lover slapping each other on the back telling themselves how good they are and how rotton [sic] choobus is. Pathetic. :lol::lol:

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:27 PM   #6
Daniel

Quote:
Another brick in the wall wrote
The Second Law of Thermodynamics (SLOT) has been bandied about lately so I though I might clarify any misconceptions there might be about it.

One way to state SLOT is that the entropy, or disorder, of the universe is always increasing.
Another version, the Clausius version, states that no process whose sole result is the transfer of heat from a cold object to a hot object can exist.

In thermodynamics, we divide the universe into the system (whose properties we are interested in) and the surroundings. Entropy in the system can decrease as long as there is a bigger increase in the entropy of the surroundings. Mathematically:

dS_universe = dS_system + dS_surroundings (differential form)

If dS_system < 0 (decreasing entropy), then as long as dS_surroundings > -(dS_system), dS_universe > 0 and SLOT is satisfied.

Systems can be defined as open (permitting transfer of mass and energy across system boundary), closed (not permitting transfer of mass, could be allowing transfer of energy), or isolated (no transfer of mass or energy across the system boundary- special case of a closed system).

The entropy of a closed system can only increase. Since the universe is by definition a closed system (isolated, technically), its entropy can only increase. This is because there is nothing outside the universe. However, a cell can decrease its entropy as long as there is a bigger increase in entropy outside the cell. Changes in entropy are often described as changes in free energy, or G. G = H - TS. The "G" stands for Gibbs, after Josiah Gibbs, who described it first. The change in free energy (delta G) of a spontaneous reaction is negative.

This has implications for chemical reactions. Normally, most of the reactions that occur inside a cell do not occur spontaneously (positive delta G). However, a nonspontaneous reaction can occur if it is coupled with a sufficiently large spontaneous reaction ( large negative delta G).

I'm taking thermodynamics in my chemical engineering classes right now, so feel free to ask me any questions.
Huh? :(
Old 09-27-2005, 06:35 PM   #7

Think of it this way: I put an ice cube in a metal box. The box and the ice cube are the system and the system is closed. The ice cube melts and as it melts, it goes from a more ordered state (solid) to a less ordered state (liquid). If I put the box in a freezer, the water will refreeze. The entropy of the water goes down, but only because the freezer creates more disorder (in the form of heat) in the surroundings. You can't transfer heat from a cold object to a hot object without performing work.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:41 PM   #8
Rat Bastard

Quote:
sludge wrote
Thermo is a no-brainer.
Actually, thermo (and statistical mechanics) use an eight-dimensional Jacobian determinant to link the various terms together. If your brain can handle that, run amok. Otherwise there's smoke coming from your anal sphincter.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:42 PM   #9
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Think of it this way: I put an ice cube in a metal box. The box and the ice cube are the system and the system is closed. The ice cube melts and as it melts, it goes from a more ordered state (solid) to a less ordered state (liquid). If I put the box in a freezer, the water will refreeze. The entropy of the water goes down, but only because the freezer creates more disorder (in the form of heat) in the surroundings. You can't transfer heat from a cold object to a hot object without performing work.
Gratias tibi ago ( thanks) for the lesson, which the Christ-psychotics will never be able to understand...:)

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:12 PM   #10
Daniel

Quote:
calpurnpiso wrote
Quote:
Gratias tibi ago ( thanks) for the lesson, which the Christ-psychotics will never be able to understand...:)
Actually, the Christ-psychotics will never be willing to understand because they are afraid of knowledge. If anything is shown to be a threat to their understanding of the world they turn a deaf ear and then actively try to exterminate that knowledge--hence, ID.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #11
Daniel

Quote:
Interesting, no doubt. I have a Bachelor's in English and American Literature with a minor in History, so you guys went way above my head. :(:(

Would you like to know about Shakespeare or James Joyce? :rolleyes:

But seriously, where would a slow-witted (in science) lit. man start out if interested in said subject?
Old 09-28-2005, 10:14 AM   #12
schemanista

Quote:
Daniel wrote
But seriously, where would a slow-witted (in science) lit. man start out if interested in said subject?
www.google.com

But you can cut your teeth on this if you'd like.

EDIT: P.S. I have a BFA in Jesus-H-Christ-on-a-popsicle-stick-mutherfucking Theatre fer cryin' out loud. If you can read Joyce, that article won't be over your head.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:29 PM   #13
Daniel

Quote:
schemanista wrote
Quote:
Daniel wrote
www.google.com

But you can cut your teeth on this if you'd like.

EDIT: P.S. I have a BFA in Jesus-H-Christ-on-a-popsicle-stick-mutherfucking Theatre fer cryin' out loud. If you can read Joyce, that article won't be over your head.
Thank you. I'll exagmine for my factification.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:16 PM   #14
Switch25

What is the argument from theists using thermodynamics? I don't think I've heard it yet.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:56 PM   #15

It's a creationist argument. They say evolution is impossible because it involves a decrease in disorder. Of course, living things are not closed systems, so order can arise in them.