Old 06-16-2005, 07:35 AM   #16
peepnklown

Tell people that you are converting to Islam.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:29 PM   #17
Kamikaze189

Quote:
niles wrote
Quote:
Another brick in the wall wrote
I think most people are atheists and they pretend to believe just to fit in. It's hard for me to comprehend how any sane person could believe in gods, angels, ufos, etc.
However,it's perfectly sane to believe that,billions of years ago,life on earth arose through single-celled orga-
nism that,over time,developed into 'higher-developed' organisms like fish that on,their turn,developed into
amphibians,from amphibians to birds,bla,bla,bla,bla,bla,bla...

I think most people are religious people,but they pretend to be atheists,'cuz they do not like the notion of
God watching (and judging..)them.Which makes perfectly sense.
People who talk like this just make me laugh.

I for one do not "believe" in evolution, I accept it as a valid possibility, and it has scientific evidence. God is not a valid possibility imo. God is unsupported by science and the scientific method.

You think most people are actually believe in god/are religious because they don't like the notion of god watching and judging them? Then wouldn't they still be religious? I wouldn't call myself an atheist if I wasn't one.

I think most people who believe in god believe in god because it makes them comfortable, makes them feel reason, and decreases their fear of dying. God is a shield and you use it to make yourself feel safe. I ask you, are you afraid to die? Every sane person is, but that's no reason to lie to yourself.

That went a little off topic, but w/e.
(1st post, woot)

“Whoever attacks the popular falsehoods of his time will find that a lie defends itself by telling other lies.” - Robert Ingersoll
Kamikaze189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 02:06 PM   #18
Jennifer

Quote:
Kamikaze189 wrote
I think most people who believe in god believe in god because it makes them comfortable, makes them feel reason, and decreases their fear of dying. God is a shield and you use it to make yourself feel safe.
I disagree with just this. My exposure to Christians leads me to beleive that most beleivers are actually seeking a feeling of superiority over others. "We belong to the special club. Later we will go to the special place." There is too much day to day experiance contradicting the concept of God as a safety net. Did he protect you from the flu? Did he protect you from the auto accident? It seems to me that illusion would die pretty quickly.

On the Other Hand. You go meet with a group of people each week (or even daily if you want). That reenforce the idea that you are a special group, with special words, special buildings, special clothes....
Old 06-18-2005, 03:01 PM   #19
PanAtheist
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Another brick in the wall wrote
I think most people are atheists and they pretend to believe just to fit in.
It is PLAIN to EVERYONE that "God" and "theism" is OUTRAGEOUS ABSURDITY!!
And it is PLAIN to EVERYONE that EVERYONE is an atheist!!

AND it is plain to everyone, that people who act otherwise, are ACTUALLY PRACTISING INSANITY - and that they are practising insanity because that is what they, in full realisation, have DECIDED to do. :lol:

Their actions go WAY FURTHER than pretence!!

Their practise is to be utterly heedless of their realization that it *is* outrageous nonsense, and to be utterly heedless of everything that has generated that realization (that being BLATANT evidence, sense and reason), and thereby, to be RECKLESS OF REALITY.

And "atheists" who act as if "theists" actually believe God exists ARE THEMSELVES being heedless of THEIR realization that NO ONE CAN BELIEVE in that absurd insanity - and THEY THEMSELVES are being RECKLESS OF REALITY.

When folk start acknowledging that this is the REAL nature of that phenomena that has been called "theism", we will stand a *chance* of seeing its ending.

Now, shall we admit just how DEEP the rabbit hole goes??

Healthy genes act as team-players. They are teamish!
Their winning plays are
salvations of an aliveness of which they are a part.
Only a fraction of genes are selfish/parasitic (and they
parasitize teams).
PanAtheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 03:30 PM   #20
Tenspace
I Live Here

I just wish I'd be around long enough to see a religion-free world. Sadly, I don't think any of us will.

Tenspace

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 04:36 PM   #21
Crackerus Dadderus

Quote:
Tenspace wrote
I just wish I'd be around long enough to see a religion-free world. Sadly, I don't think any of us will.

Tenspace
And if the religious have their way - they'll make sure no one will.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:51 PM   #22
snap crafter

I'm pretty sure bush'll destroy the world before we die, so no worries. It'll be a religion free world then I'm sure. Niles... That was blatantly rude and not backed by any real arguement/evidence to the contrary. To the guy that started this thread, you know your right, your mind has been opened. You can't convert your friends because they are reenforced every week, ask one to stop attending church for a month and see if he changes a bit. Atleast your xtians aren't hostile, down here in kentucky the police would pass a group by if they claimed the guy they were beating was a heathen devil.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:19 AM   #23
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
Crackerus Dadderus wrote
Quote:
Tenspace wrote

Tenspace
And if the religious have their way - they'll make sure no one will.
And for those theists who disagree, then explain this to us (One Christian's interpretation of the Big Bang):

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote