Old 10-28-2016, 11:24 PM   #1531
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:
JerryJohn wrote View Post
What post number was that? I don't mean the post where you linked this and that to BS sites.
Your own words would be fine. Pull some out of your atheist ass.
I’ll have a crack at something.

Quote:
Now, I'd like an answer, once again, to what you would tell a dying child age 7 when they ask you what will happened when they die?
I’m pretty sure this was the question, yes?

There’s no easy answer with a dying child, obviously - nobody likes the idea of parents outliving their children.

Children do not have the same capacity for logic and emotion that adults do. That’s not hyperbole, it’s the result of a lot of study by smart people.
It’s geenerally referred to using Piaget’s Theroy of Cognitive Development.

At age 7, a child is in the early stages of what is known as the “Concrete Operational Stage”, or in the very late stages of the Preoperational Period. They are coming out of an “egocentric” frame of reference (i.e. everything is related to how it affects them), however they are only in the beginning stages of developing their morality - learning the ideas of right and wrong and the effects actions have on a community rather than themselves. They are also only starting to develop organized, logical thought and still cannot think in abstract concepts.

My point being they may be familiar with the concept of people dying, but are unlikely to be able to truly grasp abstract ideas like their own death and mortality and to try to put things in these terms is unlikely to comfort the child as they will not understand.

Now I’m not a child psychologist and will not pretend to be one - though from what I know and understand about this if I was in this position I would discuss the issue of their illness (and what would be done about it) in regards to what it means to them -

“You’re going to be a bit sore and probably get sleepy, maybe even feel sick. This is okay, you’re not going to be in trouble if you are. We are going to go to the hospital and it might be scary but remember that everybody there is really friendly and want to help you. It will sting a little when the needle goes in but only for a moment.” Etcetera and etcetera.

As for questions about death - again these are abstract concepts that in this stage of development they are not particularly equipped to handle - I’d likely couch it in sleeping terms as they will have a better general understanding of sleeping. It's something that they have experience with and how it relates to them.

Though honestly if I were in this situation it’s probably likely that I’ve been in touch with a child psychologist and spoken to them about the best way to handle it - and maybe they would tell me a different way (or maybe I got it spot on), but you don't need to bring an afterlife into it.

Michael...you are correct
- selliedjoup
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:27 PM   #1532
JerryJohn
Obsessed Member

Michael,

Thank you for your sincere and well thought out answer. You nailed the question from the atheist view point which I appreciate as that is what I was interested to hear.

For Christians it's an easy answer with a dying child that might actually ask and know they are dying "what happens to me when I die?"
You will be in heaven with the Jesus and your loved ones that have gone before you. That said, perhaps that question does not always come up and the theist answer of them leaving family and friends behind as they die may not bring a lot of comfort when I think about it realistically. It's the best answer I would have.

I have a business degree with a liberal arts background but it is long ago and far away and albeit Piaget is familiar to me, I would have to "look it up" to remember much about it.

I think that speaking with any expert in psychology if needed is always prudent. I disagree that a child may not understand the ideas that are abstract like their own death but then again it would depend upon the age as you noted and stage of development.

Your comments on speaking to children in their terms and what it means to them is right on target and to be honest , Michael, My wife would do a much
JerryJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:29 PM   #1533
JerryJohn
Obsessed Member

Part II
better job than myself at this. I would hope should the need arise that I too could give comfort and reassurance to a child in this situation.

Towards a better understanding of a Christian and atheist..........................

JJ
Old 10-29-2016, 07:09 PM   #1534
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

Wanker!

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:57 PM   #1535
JerryJohn
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Kinich Ahau wrote View Post
Wanker!
K,

Thanks for your contribution to the discussion, you dumbass.

JJ
Old 10-30-2016, 07:03 AM   #1536
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Part II
better job than myself at this. I would hope should the need arise that I too could give comfort and reassurance to a child in this situation.

Towards a better understanding of a Christian and atheist..........................

JJ

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:23 AM   #1537
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

JerryJohn wrote
Quote:
Now, I'd like an answer, once again, to what you would tell a dying child age 7 when they ask you what will happened when they die?
Hey Kid - don't worry about JJ's LIE about being with that Jesus guy in eternal happyland when you die. You see, instead, you'll be brought back to life! Yes. It's called "resurrection", and will be performed by JJ on his kitchen table. Theologues like JJ even offer proof of this -

Quote:
Wearing enormous pink or platinum bouffant wigs which framed a face laden with heavy makeup, Jan preached the Crouches’ curious take on the Christian message in a sing-song voice, letting the tears flow freely, whether moved by a viewer’s letter or recalling how God resurrected her pet chicken when she was a child.
As she liked to tell TBN followers, she discovered the power of prayer aged four when her pet chicken wandered out into the street and was hit by a car, but later brought back to life after she “laid him on the kitchen table” and “prayed in the name of Jesus Christ”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituarie...ist--obituary/

So Kid, don't worry about spending eternity with the guy who likes dashing children against the rocks.

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Old 10-30-2016, 07:35 AM   #1538
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
I suggest we put prisoners to work for 1.51 an hour picking fruits and vegetables. I also support paying minimum wage for those on welfare and unemployment to do these jobs as a requirement for their free benefits.

I might add, they could clean bathrooms, pick up trash in our communities and do something besides sit on their dead asses and get fat from eating junk food all day.

Yuk

Old 10-30-2016, 08:14 AM   #1539
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Michael,

Thank you for your sincere and well thought out answer. You nailed the question from the atheist view point which I appreciate as that is what I was interested to hear.

For Christians it's an easy answer with a dying child that might actually ask and know they are dying "what happens to me when I die?"
You will be in heaven with the Jesus and your loved ones that have gone before you. That said, perhaps that question does not always come up and the theist answer of them leaving family and friends behind as they die may not bring a lot of comfort when I think about it realistically. It's the best answer I would have.

I have a business degree with a liberal arts background but it is long ago and far away and albeit Piaget is familiar to me, I would have to "look it up" to remember much about it.

I think that speaking with any expert in psychology if needed is always prudent. I disagree that a child may not understand the ideas that are abstract like their own death but then again it would depend upon the age as you noted and stage of development.

Your comments on speaking to children in their terms and what it means to them is right on target and to be honest , Michael, My wife would do a much

Old 10-30-2016, 12:43 PM   #1540
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Your vocation and talent are God given and a choice you have in life.

JJ
Like this -

Nice creature your god is. Must have been created in your image!

Old 10-30-2016, 12:53 PM   #1541
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Dedicated to Sinfidel, the "troll feeder>" ROFLMAO
Compliments of Styx-Too much time on my hands ( and my hands on my dick most of the time so it's raw)

Yeah I'm sitting on this barstool
Talking like a damn fool
Got the twelve o'clock news blues
And I've given up hope for the afternoon soaps
And a bottle of cold brew
Is it any wonder I'm not crazy?
Is it any wonder I'm sane at all?
Well I'm so tired of losing I got nothing to do
And all day to do it
I go out cruisin'
But I've no place to go
And all night to get there
Is it any wonder I'm not a criminal?
Is it any wonder I'm not in jail?
Is it any wonder I've got
Too much time on my hands,
It's ticking away with my sanity
I've got too much time on my hands,
it's hard to believe such a calamity
I've got too much time on my hands
and it's ticking away,
ticking away from me
(Too much time on my hands)
It's tick tick tick tick ticking away
And I don't know what to do with myself
(Solo)
(Too much time on my hands),
(Too much time on my hands),
Now I'm a jet fuel genius
I can solve the world's problems
Without even trying
I have dozens of friends and the fun never ends
That is as long as I'm buying
Is it any wonder I'm not the President
Is it any wonder I'm null and void?
Is it any wonder I've got
Too much time on my hands,
It's ticking away with my sanity
I've got too much time on my hands,
it's hard to believe such a calamity
I've got too much time on my hands
and it's ticking away,
ticking away from me
Tick tick tick tick ticking away
And I don't know what to do with myself
Hmm mmm
Tick tick tick ticking away
Hmm mmm
Too much time on my hands
Too much time on my
Songwriters
Tommy Shaw
Published by
STYGIAN SONGS

Old 10-30-2016, 01:17 PM   #1542
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Romans 13:1-7English Standard Version (ESV)
Submission to the Authorities
13*Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. 2*Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #1543
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
and I will enjoy everlasting life in paradise.

Have fun rotting in your grave with maggots all over you as an atheist, or
burned to death in ash form with nothing more but your pathetic wasted life.

JJ
Don't forget your ATM card!

Old 10-30-2016, 06:01 PM   #1544
JerryJohn
Obsessed Member

Sinny,

You are the "ultimate" RAVING madman.

rav·ing1
[ˈrāviNG]

NOUN
(ravings)
wild, irrational, or incoherent talk:
"the ravings of a madwoman"
synonyms: gibberish · rambling · babbling · wild talk ·
incoherent talk

JJ
Old 10-31-2016, 06:36 AM   #1545
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

JJ wrote:

Quote:
Sinny,

You are the "ultimate" RAVING madman.

rav·ing1
[ˈrāviNG]

NOUN
(ravings)
wild, irrational, or incoherent talk:
"the ravings of a madwoman"
synonyms: gibberish · rambling · babbling · wild talk ·
incoherent talk

JJ