Old 07-06-2008, 03:40 AM   #376
Waddlie
Still Kate's Bitch...

When luxury and anal become one...

One man's strawman is another man's asshole.
Waddlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #377
zer0

Quote:
Missionary wrote View Post
Sure...Like Jericho and Nineveh were considered by the Enlightenment as myths that proved the bible wrong. The problem is they found them both in the 1800's.
Bible: Dudes marched around Jericho once a day for six days, 7 times on the 7th day, blew some horns, destroyed the city. Anyone that attempted to rebuild Jericho would be cursed.

Archeology: Jericho found, and shown to be the longest continually inhabited city on the planet. Bible = Fail.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #378
Barney

Location: This Jewel sat in a silver sea; England, my England
When you look at the sheer number of failures in the bible, dozens sometimes on a page, I'm starting to agree with Dawkins that there is something organic going on in theists brains. It is surely impossible to be so pathalogically fixated on something that provides evidence after evidence of its own moronicness. Not only do they skip lightly over the moronicness, they see the scriptures as the most wonderful book ever written. There simply has to be something neurological making ordinary people so ridiculous.

"If you can wait 2000 years for Mr Christ, I can wait 19 years for John Frum" High Preist :- Church of John Frum 1952
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #379
Barney

Quote:
Who now build cities and love? From a big bang? You're deceiving only yourself.
God build Milton Keynes? I think not, and if he did, he isnt benificent.

"If you can wait 2000 years for Mr Christ, I can wait 19 years for John Frum" High Preist :- Church of John Frum 1952
Old 07-06-2008, 01:51 PM   #380
dogpet
Obsessed Member

He sent you wombles. Ungrateful chav, you don't know you're born

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #381
psychodiva
I Live Here

there are Wombles in Milton Keynes? I thought they only lived in Wimbledon?

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #382
Missionary

Quote:
zer0 wrote View Post
Bible: Dudes marched around Jericho once a day for six days, 7 times on the 7th day, blew some horns, destroyed the city. Anyone that attempted to rebuild Jericho would be cursed.

Archeology: Jericho found, and shown to be the longest continually inhabited city on the planet. Bible = Fail.
Joshua was speaking to Israelites. zer0=Fail.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #383
Missionary

Quote:
Barney wrote View Post
When you look at the sheer number of failures in the bible, dozens sometimes on a page, I'm starting to agree with Dawkins that there is something organic going on in theists brains.
The only failures are of comprehension. For some people, that could involve dozens per sentence. It depends on which "Official Atheist List of Biblical Contradictions" you draw your comprehension failures from.

After all, God can't beat iron chariots, right?
Old 07-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #384
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #385
Eva
Super Moderator

so dissapointing to see choobus going all kumbaya on us....

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:18 AM   #386
Riddler

Does anyone fancy getting this thread back on topic? I think the following post from Friday (yeah, mine actually) was the last to mention the key subject of the origin of gender. I could be wrong about that. I could also be wrong in thinking that Missionary has been lapping up all the ad homs because it lets him off the tricky matter of defending his own position on the topic he started.

Quote:
Riddler: (further to 'Why did God make two sexes?'):
Missionary, I can understand why you would want to prioritise rebuttals to all the slander and shouting, but please would you attend to this question at your earliest convenience? I'm sure you'll agree it's pertinent to your topic, and I think it would help us to establish what the difference is between "It's God's plan" and "I don't know; that's just the way it is." . . .

(btw: What do you mean by 'unity of oneness'? That seems like a meaningless tautology to me.)

Missionary :
Seriously...I thought you guys knew the bible so you could reject it with knowledge, logic, and reason? Y'all don't seem to even understand the first 3 chapters. I seriously doubt you've read them much less any of the rest.

Riddler:
No, tbh, I don't know the Bible chapter & verse. But then I haven't made a Mission out of turning whole swathes of people either for or against it. Did you read and digest the Buddhist sutras in their entirety before you set about hawking your Biblical stuff to the Chinese?

Missionary:
You asked about Adam and Eve. Gen 2:24-cleave; one flesh

See: Mal.2:14-16; Matt.19:3-9; Mark 10:6-12 for further reference which illustrates the following:

"But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit."1 Cor.6:17

AND

Ephesians 4:3-6 (KJV)
3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Oneness in unity.

Riddler:
All I'm seeing is a few disjointed pulled biblical phrases with variations on the word 'one' in them. I'm no wiser for it. Oneness is not 'in' unity: oneness 'is' unity. What does all this have to do with God's purpose for making two sexes?

Missionary:
The platypus wasn't created in God's image nor given dominion over the earth. The platypus does not marry, have a relationship with God, or face moral dilemma. The platypus does not sin or need forgiveness, atonement, or salvation.

Come to think of it, this applies to the worm and ant as well. I best include as a disclaimer, all of the animal kingdom, lest you be asking about kangaroos or sea urchins next. You've picked up your unsupported assertion and, instead of explaning it, have added a whole load more. I asked you to explain, 'Together a man and wife become one whole person, procreate, thus they complete their purpose to illustrate the image of God'.

Riddler:
Platypusses, and most of the more advanced animals as you note, live and procreate as two sexes. But you now say animals don't have the purpose of illustrating the image of God. So sexual procreation is irrelevant to that supposed purpose, isn't it?
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:29 AM   #387
Riddler

Correction, too late to edit:

Penultimate paragraph should be:
Quote:
Missionary:
Come to think of it, this applies to the worm and ant as well. I best include as a disclaimer, all of the animal kingdom, lest you be asking about kangaroos or sea urchins next.

Riddler: You've picked up your unsupported assertion and, instead of explaning it, have added a whole load more. I asked you to explain, 'Together a man and wife become one whole person, procreate, thus they complete their purpose to illustrate the image of God'. . . . Platypusses, and most of the more advanced animals as you note, live and procreate as two sexes. But you now say animals don't have the purpose of illustrating the image of God. So sexual procreation is irrelevant to that supposed purpose, isn't it?
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:51 AM   #388
Barney

Quote:
The only failures are of comprehension. For some people, that could involve dozens per sentence. It depends on which "Official Atheist List of Biblical Contradictions" you draw your comprehension failures from.

After all, God can't beat iron chariots, right?
Perhaps your right. In order to truely comprehand the bible properly and make sense of things like
1"Kill the abomination"
2"Slaughter the firstborn"
3"Leave not a stone upon a stone"
4"Take their women as wives"
5"Made the earth in 6 days"
first I need to smash myself around the head with a large plank, drink 4 liters of Frosty Jack Battery acid cider, inject neat LSD into my arteries and sit in a snoozlum room for 15 weeks listening to Barney and Freinds on a loop.

Then I might understand the Scripture to mean:
1"Those who dont heed gods word are distant from him and he is sad about it"
2"Gods love is equal to his mercy and the firstborn who died are examples of what happens when satan enters the heart"
3"The ones who resisted Gods people had rejected his word and so the gentle dismanteling of their citys stones was a only symbolic of the end of their heresy and their acceptance of Yahwes love"
4"The women of the time had terrible rights until Gods law gave them protection, "Taking a slave as a wife was rescuing her from poverty"
5 "six Days simply means six phases which science has since labled, yet this was written long before science discovered it! Miraculous eh?"

Yeah, the worrying thing is I know enough about your mindset to come out with this shit without drugs.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:28 AM   #389
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Eva wrote View Post
so dissapointing to see choobus going all kumbaya on us....
what?

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #390
Eva
Super Moderator

choob, it's refreshing to see you haven't lost your DYDA and DYDL....been a long time. for a while, i thought you had gone soft on those you, ehm, don't care much for. you have not gone kumbaya (as in the kumba-yaaaa my lord, kum-ba yaaaa- the wishy washy song that i hate so much).
this kumbaya thing did not translate as good as i had hoped.

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote