Old 04-07-2006, 11:41 AM   #16
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Tenspace wrote
Points to ponder:

Ren, you are right, but keep in mind that he is not saying you could travel to a time before the machine's existence. Using short-lived particles example, the machine was built before the particles were inserted, so no problems there.

The past is unobtainable, regardless of the specific reason. Maybe it's my timeless theory. Maybe it's the Deutsch theory that travel to the past is actually travel to other universes. Whatever it might be, I propose that 1) if it is possible, then someone in the future has already figured it out, and 2) it is not lethal to our existence, because we are still here.

Choobus, this is an idea that's been floating aroud for awhile (I first heard of it about two years ago) - it builds off the anomalies discovered by rotating laser beams. I don't know if this analogy flies, but for the same reason particles make multiple laps around an accelerator, building relativistic speed, that laser energy could somehow accumulate through rotation. I shall see if I can find more on this for everyone.
yeah, I suspect these are the same "anomalies" that drove otherwise sane men to spend years and years trying to construct a perpetual motion gyroscope. At the end of the day it all comes down to faulty transformations between rotating and non-rotating inertial frames.

In any case, if the laser energy does somehow accumulate then why won't an extremely strong gravitational field be generated, which would destroy the machine? You can't invoke relativity to bend spacetime and not expect a strong gravitational field.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #17
Ickybod

This is about as ridiculous as a Scientific America article I saw about us existing in many parallel universes. What garbage. Had my great, great, great, grandparents done certain things differently in this alternate dimension that lead them to never meet each other thereby causing my parents to never have been born, then how could I exist in this alternate world? It puts a complete spin on everything and changes the future entirely. I think they just come up with these crazy ideas so that they can make money off the people gullible enough to buy this shit. But hey, if they ARE right, then more power to them.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:44 AM   #18
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Tenspace wrote
By the way, the lasers I'm referring to are atom lasers that utilize a BEC as the stimulated emission source.
no true atom laser has yet been demonmstrated. There was a paper by the NIST people (Eric Cornell et al) in which they had highly correlated atoms but it wasn't a real laser because there was no stimulated amplification, just coherrant atom beams. If professor time cube wants to build his machine then he'd better make a real atom laser first.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:31 PM   #19
Single Serving Jack
A caricature

Quote:
Single Serving Jack wrote
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding the idea here but if you scale up his desktop 'time machine' to bung your run of the mill human bean in it, it doesn't appear to me that it would be much use.

You have your new room-sized time-warpin' machine ready to go. Subject walks into machine, shuts door. Scientist flicks switch to turn on machine. Say they plan to send the subject one week into his future - now the machine doesn't actually freeze his subjective time, just slows it, right? So from the scientists point of view it could take two weeks of machine running to slow the subjects time enough for him to lose a week? Seems a bit pointless - after the two weeks the subject would leave the machine having only aged a week (so from his point of view travelled a week into the future).

Unless you're mega-rich and can afford a machine that can warp time enough to slow down the subject's time massively and have the machine running non-stop for a couple of centuries (presumably by the scientists grandchildren by then) in some secure bunker somewhere, it just wouldn't be worth the bother would it?

Ok I've just read that back and I have a feeling I've got it ALL wrong somehow. :D
Someone tell me if anything there made sense!

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day" - Douglas Adams
Single Serving Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:55 PM   #20
evident_enigma

Has the prof taken into account movement through space?

I mean, the earth is in motion in the universe, right?
I don't think that the earth will be in the exact same place more than once, right?

Wouldn't he have to worry about past-present-future spacial alignment?

In other words, would someone operating this thing have to align the two events in space-time?

In still other words, wouldn't he have to "aim" it at a point in "future-space" or "past-space" where the instrument will-be/was in order to get a measurement of some sort?

I just don't get how he could send a particle through a laser iris, and expect the particle to "know" (<--used for lack of a better word) where the laboratory will be in "future-space" or "past-space". How will the particle emerge in the exact spot where his spiral WILL BE in the past or future (depending on when, past/present, he wants to send it) is what I'm trying to say.

Musing:
It seems as if a neutron was sent into some time in the past (also: I don't think it is mentioned whether there is a mechanism that could give the experimenter a choice in determining when the neutron would 'emerge' in the past or future). The earth could have moved hundreds of lightyears in space since that time, and this neutron just emerges ex-nilio in the middle of nowhere. hehe

All the while, at some 'point' in time, this guy might be wondering;

"Where's my neutron?"

I wish he would give more detail.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

*sigh*

E_E
Old 04-19-2006, 01:43 AM   #21
skribb

Quote:
Quote:
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding the idea here but if you scale up his desktop 'time machine' to bung your run of the mill human bean in it, it doesn't appear to me that it would be much use.

You have your new room-sized time-warpin' machine ready to go. Subject walks into machine, shuts door. Scientist flicks switch to turn on machine. Say they plan to send the subject one week into his future - now the machine doesn't actually freeze his subjective time, just slows it, right? So from the scientists point of view it could take two weeks of machine running to slow the subjects time enough for him to lose a week? Seems a bit pointless - after the two weeks the subject would leave the machine having only aged a week (so from his point of view travelled a week into the future).

Unless you're mega-rich and can afford a machine that can warp time enough to slow down the subject's time massively and have the machine running non-stop for a couple of centuries (presumably by the scientists grandchildren by then) in some secure bunker somewhere, it just wouldn't be worth the bother would it?

Ok I've just read that back and I have a feeling I've got it ALL wrong somehow. :D
Someone tell me if anything there made sense!
It made sense to me ,Jack.