Old 07-25-2008, 09:49 PM   #736
Eva
Super Moderator

yuck.
need mind bleach after the mental imagery.

hate you, gs.

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:03 PM   #737
Barney

Location: This Jewel sat in a silver sea; England, my England
Hey Lily. I was talking with some catholics a few days ago,(funnily enough one of em had a similar name to you....small world) and they explained it all very well.

Apparently the zombie in the bread isnt in the bread he is the bread but hes not. He is the bread when its bread and when its bread thats in its constituant parts he isnt. However when he is in something that dosnt get broken down, like ...ummmm. bread or alcohol, then although he passes into the colon and verily pebbledashes the pan, he dosnt, because CCC1377 decided 700 years ago that he couldnt even if he does.

So the short answer is, its all bollocks and 5.7 billion people know it is, yet
you consider the loafy eatable cannabilism of dead jews such a perfectly natural thing.

"If you can wait 2000 years for Mr Christ, I can wait 19 years for John Frum" High Preist :- Church of John Frum 1952
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:07 PM   #738
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Barney wrote
... 5.7 billion people know [that Lily is madder than a hatter] ...
Don't you know that only Lily is allowed to use the appeal-to-popularity?

Consider yourself informed, bub.

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:59 AM   #739
zer0

Fucking Sick
Old 07-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #740
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Eva wrote View Post
yuck.
need mind bleach after the mental imagery.

hate you, gs.
I hate me too. I need real bleach to get the Lily stink off of my dick.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #741
psychodiva
I Live Here

Just catching up on 'Crackergate' over on Pharyngula's blog - had to post this quote from him- says it all really

Quote:
I think if I were truly evil, I would have to demand that all of my acolytes be celibate, but would turn a blind eye to any sexual depravities they might commit. If I wanted to be an evil hypocrite, I'd drape myself in expensive jeweled robes and live in an ornate palace while telling all my followers that poverty is a virtue. If I wanted to commit world-class evil, I'd undermine efforts at family planning by the poor, especially if I could simultaneously enable the spread of deadly diseases. And if I wanted to be so evil that I would commit a devastating crime against the whole of the human race, twisting the minds of children into ignorance and hatred, I would be promoting the indoctrination of religion in children's upbringing, and fomenting hatred against anyone who dared speak out in defiance.

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #742
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
Just catching up on 'Crackergate' over on Pharyngula's blog - had to post this quote from him- says it all really

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
Old 07-26-2008, 08:48 AM   #743
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Old 07-30-2008, 06:56 AM   #744
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

P.Z. Myers hears from some more demented fuckwits.

Quote:
Demented Fuckwits wrote
The freedom of religion means that no one has the right to attack, malign or grossly offend a faith tradition they personally do not have membership or ascribe allegiance.
Quote:
PZ Myers wrote
This is the funniest statement in the whole declaration.

Freedom of speech means I do have the right to malign and make fun of any religion I want. I can't interfere with your right to practice your religion, but that hasn't happened — all I've done is laugh at you.

That last clause, though…do they seriously believe that only Catholics are allowed to criticize Catholics, and that this restriction is enshrined in the constitution? That's a fine catch, that catch-22. So only Catholics can malign the faith, but if they do, then they can be kicked out of the faith, which means they can't criticize it anymore. That sounds like a ripe piece of theological logic to me.
I disagree; I think this is the funniest statement in the whole declaration:

Quote:
DFs wrote
The Chancellor of the University refused to reprimand or censure the teacher, who ironically is a Biology Professor. One fails to see the relevance of the desecration of a Catholic sacrament to the science of Biology. Were Myers a Professor of Theology, there would have been at least a presumption of competency to express religious opinions in a classroom. Yet, for a scientist to ridicule and show utter contempt for the most sacred and precious article of a major world religion, is inappropriate, unprofessional, unconstitutional and disingenuous.
One fails to see the irony too.
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:16 AM   #745
Irreligious
I Live Here

I wonder why some theists think they should be free to critique, ridicule and malign other people's values and worldviews, while simultaneously insisting that theirs beliefs must be held sacrosanct by outsiders? That's a clear double-standard.

However, I'm not totally in Myers corner when it comes to inciting these people to even higher heights of lunacy.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #746
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
I wonder why some theists think they should be free to critique, ridicule and malign other people's values and worldviews, while simultaneously insisting that theirs beliefs must be held sacrosanct by outsiders? That's a clear double-standard.

However, I'm not totally in Myers corner when it comes to inciting these people to even higher heights of lunacy.
I agree. prof Myers saw an opening to expose these retards. He threw a bait & they took it!...I hope neurologists & psychiatrists do the same & their field is the brain.

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:32 AM   #747
Lily

Lots of people don't fully understand the concept of free speech. Those of us who do have no problem with Myers saying what ever he wants. But he crossed the line from speech to action. That action was the action of a prick. It had no point but to mock, outrage or, at least, provoke and, if possible, hurt. Well, Jesus has suffered far worse than what he suffered at the hands of that dried-up buffoon and he will again. Most of us have shrugged off the initial outrage but we aren't going to stop calling a spade a spade.

What I think is funniest of all, is that Myers and his goons are the same people who wail pitifully about atheist persecution and how horrid that atheists are the least trusted group in America. Well, duh!! And this stunt is going to go a long way towards ameliorating that.

And just what higher heights of lunacy have we reached, I wonder? Free speech does not entail freedom from criticism-- even over the top criticism. I think he needs to take it like a man and shut up. His 15 minutes are nearly over and he can go back to being a failed academic in the middle of nowhere at a third tier institution.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:46 AM   #748
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Lily, your repeated assertion -- here and on other internet forums -- about "shrugging off" your outrage gets funnier and funnier, the more you shrug it off.

Quote:
Well, Jesus has suffered far worse than what he suffered at the hands of that dried-up buffoon and he will again.
Yes, wasn't that terrible! Good thing He was God, though! Otherwise, boy howdy that would have really hurt.

Dried-up??

EDIT to ask: When is Jesus going to suffer again?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:57 AM   #749
Lily

You will be hard pressed to find examples of "repeated" assertions that I have shrugged off my outrage. I very rarely post at other forums and I am quite sure I have not made that particular statement anywhere else. I am highly sceptical that I have made it here. But who knows? Who cares?

Edited to add: Yep. A search on shrug off, shrugging off only turns up your silly post. Lay off the mushrooms, Studge.

Last edited by Lily; 07-30-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:57 AM   #750
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

"a failed academic in the middle of nowhere at a third tier institution"

I know that you get some of your more idiotic cues from Mark Shea (!), who also thinks it's an insult of some kind to belittle Myers' title and university. Can you explain how this is an insult (if it is one)? I doubt Myers is anything but delighted with his work; why wouldn't he be? Sounds to me like certain people are feeling a wee bit insecure about their own stations in life.