Old 07-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #61
colpat

Thanks for Quick Course!

Greetings Psychodiva:
Quote:
How not to annoy a Brit 101

1. Don't tell the originators of a language that what they speak is now a 'dialect'.
2. See number 1
Sorry 'bout that. Thanks for the lesson. I'll do my best to apply it.
colpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:32 AM   #62
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
colpat wrote View Post
Greetings psychodiva:

I often have opportunity to meet with men and women who happen to be atheists.
I don't want to appear foolish and unlearned when socializing. Some of the words like "faith" are spelled and sound the same. But there is often a big difference how christians and atheists understand the word. To me "faith" means either spiritual knowledge or physical knowledge. I would posit that you understand it differently.
And you would (continue to) posit it wrongly

Faith has many meanings and means different things to different people and in different contexts- I am able to understand them all and from different points of view as well- amazing ability that eh? Do you not have this ability?

Here- a little help:

Quote:
–noun 1. confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.

2. belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.

3. belief in god or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.
Quote:
noun

[mass noun]
  • 1 complete trust or confidence in someone or something:this restores one's faith in politicians
  • 2 strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.
  • [count noun] a particular religion:the Christian faith
  • [count noun] a strongly held belief:men with strong political faiths

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:35 AM   #63
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
colpat wrote View Post
Sternwallow wrote:

Are you suggesting that I should not do the job the school board hired me to do?
Or
That I should stop being a good father to my kids, grandkids and great grandkids?
Or
Cease delivering the messages God gives me?

I took a grandson with me to a reception in honor of Dr. E.O. Wilson.
Was that bad?
Are you suggesting that I (and others) am not a good mother because I do NOT convey any messages about (your) god (or any other )

Do you think people can be 'moral' without religion? Where do you think morals and ethics come from?

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:04 AM   #64
Broga
Obsessed Member

To do good because god says so or under the threat of punishment is not being moral. It is succumbing to the threats of a tyrant god. The goodness of the atheist springs from being part of nature, of the community and from an innate - no doubt evolved from our being social animals - wish to be kind and helpful.
Broga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:11 AM   #65
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Sure didn't take cowpat long to start trying his feeble attempts to turn the tables and throw questions "back" at us. What a tiny, addle-minded soul he is.
Of course you're a bad mother, Diva. Duh. He has already stated that we are not fully human, since we don't understand fuck-all about his rambling assertions about this thing he calls "spirit". Which isn't soul. But is the other half of humans. Which we must not have because we have no idea what he's on about. So, like T2, has informed us that he does, indeed, think we are sub-human, he is our better, and damn if he isn't here to evangelize!

Or just bolster his aging ego.

Wait a second....maybe some kids taunted him for his bald head and his fee-fees are hurt because no bear showed up to eat them!

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #66
Broga
Obsessed Member

@Kate: I think we are on mission impossible here. "Wants to try to communicate with atheists." Bloody hell. Makes us seem like an alien species. I have never yet found myself able to have sensible discussion with a fundamentalist christian.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #67
Kate

Me neither. Can't be arsed to crack through the unbridled arrogance. Methinks he has confused "communicate with" and "talk down to". I supposed that happens as one gets to such an advanced age with no real challenge to his bullshit. Douchewad has always been in the privileged position, and cannot comprehend anything else.

Sad, really. But fun to mock!

Old 07-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #68
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
Sure didn't take cowpat long to start trying his feeble attempts to turn the tables and throw questions "back" at us. What a tiny, addle-minded soul he is.
Of course you're a bad mother, Diva. Duh. He has already stated that we are not fully human, since we don't understand fuck-all about his rambling assertions about this thing he calls "spirit". Which isn't soul. But is the other half of humans. Which we must not have because we have no idea what he's on about. So, like T2, has informed us that he does, indeed, think we are sub-human, he is our better, and damn if he isn't here to evangelize!

Or just bolster his aging ego.

Wait a second....maybe some kids taunted him for his bald head and his fee-fees are hurt because no bear showed up to eat them!

It's got me wondering how I made it through life this far - all crippled and unable to see the color red. Imagine all of the whore houses of delusion I might have prostituted myself to!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #69
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Broga wrote View Post
@Kate: I think we are on mission impossible here. "Wants to try to communicate with atheists." Bloody hell. Makes us seem like an alien species. I have never yet found myself able to have sensible discussion with a fundamentalist christian.
Major Cowpat to ground control, I think I've found Jesus in my hole. Requesting clearance to probe Uranus for signs of Christlike life forms. Over.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
Old 07-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #70
Broga
Obsessed Member

Kate/ghoulslime: I'm beginning to think this guy isn't as niave as he seems. All this humility, only trying to understand, wants to communicate with atheists while at he same time pushing the christian bit. Are we being taken for a ride? If we are then that just shows how tolerant we are as atheists.

Anytime I have ventured on to a fundie site I have been consigned to hellfire pronto and have had some christian fundie slavering at the prospect of me burning in hell for eternity.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #71
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Broga wrote View Post
Kate/ghoulslime: I'm beginning to think this guy isn't as niave as he seems. All this humility, only trying to understand, wants to communicate with atheists while at he same time pushing the christian bit. Are we being taken for a ride? If we are then that just shows how tolerant we are as atheists.

Anytime I have ventured on to a fundie site I have been consigned to hellfire pronto and have had some christian fundie slavering at the prospect of me burning in hell for eternity.
Of course, only a gullible fool would fall for his feigned humility/reason. His sales pitch for his vile sickness is transparent. But he is fun to play with.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #72
Kate

I squished a spider this morning. Same feeling

Old 07-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #73
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

wot, no gladiators?

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #74
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
I squished a spider this morning. Same feeling
Glorious! But it WILL rise again.

Just give it three days and enough faith.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #75
Kate

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
wot, no gladiators?
Not enough spiders, and I couldn't, amazingly, find a roach.

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
Glorious! But it WILL rise again.

Just give it three days and enough faith.
But it doesn't have enough legs. Those fell off. And we know that gawd does not heal amputees because it's an impotent prick.