Old 12-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #1081
Brick

Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #1082
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post

If it comes down to Romney vs Obama, as I'm pretty sure it will, the choice is moot (from a philosophical point of view.... I realize for some, appearance is important, but behaviorally they will be the same.)
My impression too: I am thinking it won't make any difference to "little people" (aka, middle class).

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #1083
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
merkin wrote View Post
I am not sure propaganda is the exact word for what they do, which is more on the order of self-delusion. They are capable of convincing themselves of the truth of the most obvious falsehood that supports their word view. Here is an example that was in the New York Times from a few days ago, the unsupported claim that the recent financial crisis was caused by Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, the two GSEs that underwrite mortgages in the US.

There was a need on the right to provide an explanation for what caused the financial crisis that didn't involve the obvious one, deregulation, a long time goal of the right. If they conceded that the financial crisis was caused by irresponsible behavior by the financial industry enabled by deregulation then the answer would be increased regulation, and worse, that they were wrong that regulation is a needless intrusion of the government into the operation of the markets.

Not mentioned in the piece is the irony that the two GSEs were converted into private investor owned companies so that the stockholders would be on the hook if the companies failed and not the tax payers. This was done on the advice of the right. It didn't work out too well. Plus the risky behavior of the two was the result of shareholder pressure to get in on the profits being earned by the private sector in the sub-prime mortgages, pressure that wouldn't have existed if they were still government agencies.
I didn't understand all of this, but my understanding is that the powers that be can use those that and convince themselves and/or others of absolute falsehoods, hence it is still highly successful propaganda. They have succeeded in getting much of the middle class to vote against their own interests: they have succeeded in this regard. The ability to lie and deceive w/o conscience may be what enable their success: people who care about the truth don't do this, and may be at an inherent disadvantage. For this reason, I wonder if the truth ever prevails.

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #1084
merkin

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
This man will possibly be Romney's running mate

Quote:
The NDAA, which I've covered in this column in the past, allows for the detention and torture of American citizens on US soil -- without access to a trial or attorney, and without the government bringing formal charges. It's basically a return to the Dark Ages, and wipes out hundreds of years of civil rights progress in the Western world. Portman reportedly voted in favor of it.

Rep. Ron Paul has characterized the NDAA as "martial law," and groups as disparate as the ACLU, Amnesty International and even the FBI have expressed their serious concerns.

Despite petitions and pleas from coast-to-coast, the legislation passed overwhelmingly. As it turns out, many politicians may be representatives of the people, but their voices are ones bought by corporations. Senator Robert Portman (R-Ohio) not only voted in favor of the NDAA, he also received $272,853 from the special interest groups that backed the bill."

If it comes down to Romney vs Obama, as I'm pretty sure it will, the choice is moot (from a philosophical point of view.... I realize for some, appearance is important, but behaviorally they will be the same.)
The furour over the NDAA is a bit over blown, in my opinion. The act doesn't allow for unlimited detention of US citizens. It doesn't even require the military to take over the detention of foreign born terrorists suspects as has been widely reported.

Here is a report by a journalist who actually read the act and asked people who are knowledgeable about the subject for their comments. Obama was willing to veto the entire DOD budget unless the offensive language was taken out or, as was the case, language added that rendered it useless. The question then becomes would Romney have done the same? I think not.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." -- Bertrand Russell
merkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #1085
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
This man will possibly be Romney's running mate

It will come down to a choice between President Obama and Mitt Romney, two fairly mainstream, establishment politicians, but they are hardly the same man or else Republicans wouldn't be so desperate to unseat the former.

Ron Paul, a six-term Republican Congressman from Texas, is essentially a social conservative and, on that front, he has far more in common with most of his Republican colleagues in the House than Obama does. Romney is trying to re-make himself into a social conservative of that vein, and if he succeeds Obama as president, I think Romney will make that change. The Republicans in the House, especially if they retain the majority, will see to it.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #1086
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Good for a LOL. Krazy Eyes' Iowa campaign chairman jumped off the cuckoo wagon and hitched his star to the Ron Paul lunatic train.

Quote:
In one of the most surprising moments of the 2012 campaign, Sorenson strolled on stage just moments before Paul was set to speak and declared that he had switched his allegiance. Just hours earlier, he had been at a Bachmann campaign event with his former candidate. Sorenson's switch is a major boost to Paul's campaign, which has been dogged by criticism from establishment Republicans that his support here was largely among Democrats and independents.

A furious Bachmann accused her former chair of being bought off.

"Kent Sorenson personally told me he was offered a large sum of money to go to work for the Paul campaign," said the Minnesotan in a statement

Paul campaign chair Jesse Benton flatly denied that they were paying Sorenson.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #1087
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Can't compete according to laws?

.Change the law.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #1088
Brick

Is Obama smarter than a 2nd grader?

Old 01-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #1089
Brick

Need to add some color to your photo-op? Try Rent-a-black! Rent-a-black supplies photogenic negroes for all your needs: yearbooks, bar mitzvahs, stump-speeches, commencement addresses and many more!

Old 01-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #1090
ubs
I Live Here

Iowa Bitches

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #1091
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post

All Gangsta and shit!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #1092
ubs
I Live Here

I would love it if Idaho and Ohio would do one like that. "Fifty States, fuckwads!"

Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #1093
psychodiva
I Live Here

Alan Turing anyone?

anyhoo- love the video- a lot I didn't know about Iowa in there and very nicely done

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #1094
merkin

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
Alan Turing anyone?

anyhoo- love the video- a lot I didn't know about Iowa in there and very nicely done
Iowa is actually a pretty progressive state. Beyond what was mentioned in the video it has Election Day (Voter) Registration even for the Republican caucuses. (I wonder if the Republicans require proof of citizenship before the caucuses?) And non-partisan congressional redistricting resulting in the most competitive congressional races in the country.

The progressive movement actually started in the Midwest with the farmer's organizations called the grange. They initially were campaigning for more liquidity in the economy, more money available to be able to borrow to carry the farmers from the planting season to harvest.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." -- Bertrand Russell
merkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #1095
ubs
I Live Here

Santorum?! Iowa, are you fucking kidding me? How many confused young gay men can there be in one state?