Old 11-27-2007, 10:18 AM   #16
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
Lily wrote
One would expect that a transcendent, creator God would come up with things we haven't seen before, if he were going to bother to deal with us at all.
One would. Which is why such oft-repeated concepts as virgin births, resurrections, "Sons" of God, salvation, and the like suggest the God of Abraham wasn't as Creative as his followers like to think.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:10 AM   #17
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
Which is why such oft-repeated concepts as virgin births, resurrections, "Sons" of God, salvation, and the like suggest the God of Abraham wasn't as Creative as his followers like to think.
Not to mention the tedious repetition in his creations. Every animal on earth is an elaboration of a meat worm. Even preschoolers come up with a wider variety of beings.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:18 AM   #18
Erik

"The Bible is clear: the sin of Adam brought death and suffering into the world. As Romans 8:19-22 tells us, the whole of creation "groans" because of the effects of the fall of Adam, and the creation will be liberated "from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God" (Rom. 8:21). Also, bear in mind that thorns came into existence after the Curse. Because there are thorns in the fossil record, it had to be formed after Adam and Eve sinned."

Courtesy of Ken Ham.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:25 AM   #19
Lily

Quote:
DrunkMonkey wrote View Post
In addition, just because something is off-limits for the people that follow the religion doesn't mean it was personally off-limits for the people that started the religion or are in power. It is all about control.
I just love this oft-repeated, always implausible explanation for religion! Really, I do. Think about it. How did Mr. X or Mr. X and his three best friends get the idea to invent a religion out of whole cloth and use it to control others? How did he/they get the idea of "religion" at all? How did he/they persuade others to buy into it? etc. etc. etc.

Quote:
Christianity isn't even that unique- dying and rising gods and messages about loving everyone were around long before Christ. To say that it is strange enough to be believable is a laughable concept since virtually none of the religion is unique.
I am only going to try one more time. "Strange enough to be believable" is absurd on its face. "Unusual enough to get our attention" is the point. If something in our collective experience hadn't prepared us to be able to understand what we are seeing or hearing about, then we would be up the proverbial creek. Why do you suppose, say, that Osiris has no followers? How about followers of Tammuz? Where do you see them worshipped? Where are their churches?

By the way, loving everyone is unique to Christianity. You will be hard pressed to find any group that extended the definition of neighbor, as in "love of neighbor" beyond its own clan or tribe.

Quote:
Erik wrote
"The Bible is clear: the sin of Adam brought death and suffering into the world. As Romans 8:19-22 tells us, the whole of creation "groans" because of the effects of the fall of Adam, and the creation will be liberated "from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God" (Rom. 8:21). Also, bear in mind that thorns came into existence after the Curse. Because there are thorns in the fossil record, it had to be formed after Adam and Eve sinned."

Courtesy of Ken Ham.
?? Not sure where this came from or what it is in reference to (or who Ken Ham is). But since the Genesis story is a mythopoeic account of why mankind finds itself in the situation it is in, I wouldn't expect it to be scientifically accurate.

Unless I am mistaken, I don't think thorns are mentioned in Genesis or as the result of the fall anywhere in the Bible.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:33 AM   #20
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Erik wrote View Post

Courtesy of Ken Ham.
I love the arrogant, self-centeredness of some human beings who believe that just because they can perceive death and suffering they must somehow be uniquely responsible for its existence. Whether or not there is a real godlike creature somewhere out there in the cosmos, the thing these folks are exhalting ain't God; it's the human ego run amuck.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:54 AM   #21
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
I just love this oft-repeated, always implausible explanation for religion! Really, I do. Think about it. How did Mr. X or Mr. X and his three best friends get the idea to invent a religion out of whole cloth and use it to control others? How did he/they get the idea of "religion" at all? How did he/they persuade others to buy into it? etc. etc. etc.
I just love how you keep repeating that the inherent implausibility of Christianity somehow makes it unique. What the hell is so plausible about Islam (if you even know the first thing about it), or Scientology (and you probably don't know a damn thing about that, either) or any number of unverifiable claims of the alleged supernatural?

Quote:
Lily wrote
I am only going to try one more time. "Strange enough to be believable" is absurd on its face. "Unusual enough to get our attention" is the point. If something in our collective experience hadn't prepared us to be able to understand what we are seeing or hearing about, then we would be up the proverbial creek. Why do you suppose, say, that Osiris has no followers? How about followers of Tammuz? Where do you see them worshipped? Where are their churches?
As to your assertion that you will try to explain just once more, why make promises you obviously can't keep? The fact that the most technologically proficient and powerful people on the planet adopted this very pliable belief system and saw to its spread by dint of war, enslavement, and other means, both nefarious and benign, might have a little something to do with its apparent ubiquity, methinks.

Quote:
Lily wrote
By the way, loving everyone is unique to Christianity. You will be hard pressed to find any group that extended the definition of neighbor, as in "love of neighbor" beyond its own clan or tribe.
This is utter bullshit. The only folks rivaling y'all in the hypocrisy department today are the Muslims and they're only at number 2 on the list, currently. They also claim to love their neighbors while simultaneously referring to the ones who don't support their unfounded beliefs as infidels. Y'all call everybody else heathens.

Quote:
Lily wrote
?? Not sure where this came from or what it is in reference to (or who Ken Ham is). But since the Genesis story is a mythopoeic account of why mankind finds itself in the situation it is in, I wouldn't expect it to be scientifically accurate.
And there's nothing scientifically accurate about claims that a dead man claiming to be God reanimated three days after he was allegedly brutally murdered. They are part and parcel of the same baseless absurdity.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:10 PM   #22
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
In this hypothetical, you are starting from the idea that Christianity was a master-planned religion. However, that is quite an assumption, not all religions are planned out like Scientology. In fact, I'm betting most of them weren't.

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Why do you suppose, say, that Osiris has no followers? How about followers of Tammuz? Where do you see them worshipped? Where are their churches?
It never fails, your ad populum argument always manages to make it in there.
The fact that nobody follows Osiris and Tammuz anymore says absolutely nothing about its truth. Maybe we humans are so incredibly stupid that we cast the only true religion aside, and are now praying to a false deity.

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Maybe you should check the name of the thread again.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:49 PM   #23
Choobus
I Live Here

IT is not surprising that a thread dedicated to theistic stupidity seems to feature Lily quite heavily. Deliberate irony, or simple inevitability (aka god's will)?

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #24
Lily

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
In this hypothetical, you are starting from the idea that Christianity was a master-planned religion. However, that is quite an assumption, not all religions are planned out like Scientology. In fact, I'm betting most of them weren't.
Not the point. The claim that is being made here is that some one, somewhere made up "religion" out of nothing and mankind just fell in with the idea.

Quote:
It never fails, your ad populum argument always manages to make it in there. The fact that nobody follows Osiris and Tammuz anymore says absolutely nothing about its truth. Maybe we humans are so incredibly stupid that we cast the only true religion aside, and are now praying to a false deity.
You have, yet again, completely missed the point. Completely. Dear You Know Who, even a clock that has stopped is right twice a day.

Shall I bother to explain it to you? I suppose I must.

1. When and where were Osiris and Tammuz born?
2. What accounts have been written of them that claim to be eyewitness accounts of their doings?
3. _________________(That's enough help. See if you can figure out the next couple of points. and fill in the blanks)
4. ________________________________________________

5. ________________________________________________
Old 11-27-2007, 01:50 PM   #25
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

What accounts have been written of your guy that claim to be eyewitness accounts?

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #26
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
2. What accounts have been written of them that claim to be eyewitness accounts of their doings?
I can claim I'm banging supermodels all I want, but that doesn't make the plastic blow up doll any more responsive.....

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Old 11-27-2007, 01:55 PM   #27
Lily

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote View Post
What accounts have been written of your guy that claim to be eyewitness accounts?
The Gospels.

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
I can claim I'm banging supermodels all I want, but that doesn't make the plastic blow up doll any more responsive.....
Why am I not shocked that you know that?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:58 PM   #28
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Didn't we just go through that not even a few days ago?

Did you not admit that it is highly unlikely that the Gospels were first-hand accounts?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:58 PM   #29
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
The Gospels.

Why am I not shocked that you know that?
because you'll believe anything?

~ Philiboid Studge
Old 11-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #30
Lily

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
I just love how you keep repeating that the inherent implausibility of Christianity somehow makes it unique. ?
I have made no such claim. I am expending more energy than I have to spare right now to try and refute that notion.

Quote:
This is utter bullshit. The only folks rivaling y'all in the hypocrisy department today are the Muslims and they're only at number 2 on the list, currently. They also claim to love their neighbors while simultaneously referring to the ones who don't support their unfounded beliefs as infidels. Y'all call everybody else heathens.
Excuse me. Islam is, at best, a heresy of Christianity. It came later in the scheme of things, remember? So that doesn't answer the question: What religions or tribes or clans pre-Christianity extended love of neighbor beyond its own borders?

Quote:
And there's nothing scientifically accurate about claims that a dead man claiming to be God reanimated three days after he was allegedly brutally murdered. They are part and parcel of the same baseless absurdity.
Oh? I am waiting to hear your argument for that position.