Old 02-07-2012, 06:00 AM   #691
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Sorry Victus. I am with you on much of your vendetta against anti capitalist mumbo jumbo, and over regulation. I just cannot see how opening up a market place that would require huge regulation, and be open to massive neglegence even with that, is the solution.
I also find it hard to understand how you are willing to value a criminals life above a poor person, which is what will be the case in your organ world view. Surely poor people will be better off and safer in prison. At the expense of the taxpayer? Kind of like where we are heading at the moment in many ways.
Putting people into positions where they have to lose or risk their lives, for the profit of a company, not the benefit of a country as you would have in a war, is a little unethical to me. How can some say no? You would be putting people into situations where desperation costs their lives. However a criminal can murder a whole lot of people and be looked after by the state in a prison? Odd.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:02 AM   #692
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Here's a question I hadn't thought of yet, Victus.

THIS IS HYPOTHETICAL!

What if a woman were pregnant and decided, at six months gestation, to have to fetus removed from her body and sold it for $200,000?

Would you support that?

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #693
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Stargazer wrote View Post
Here's a question I hadn't thought of yet, Victus.

THIS IS HYPOTHETICAL!
Admit it, this has been what you've been plotting all along!

Quote:
Star wrote
What if a woman were pregnant and decided, at six months gestation, to have to fetus removed from her body and sold it for $200,000?

Would you support that?
I don't see anything inherently wrong with this.

If abortion is legal, then terminating/ending/killing/whatever the fetus is legal. If that's legal, then why shouldn't removing the fetus and selling the remains be legal?

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #694
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Another advantage to the scheme described above:

A year later, the woman could repeat the procedure, ad infinitum, and have a regular income for many years.

Just think of all that profit, Victus!

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Old 02-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #695
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Another advantage to the scheme described above:

A year later, the woman could repeat the procedure, ad infinitum, and have a regular income for many years.

Just think of all that profit, Victus!
And for a woman doing it, it might be very profitable indeed. Of course, I wonder who, if anyone, would pay $200,000 for a fetus. They could probably pay less just to get rent-out the woman's womb to bring a fetus to term.

But what would be wrong with it, exactly? Or is it just another thing you find to be not seemly?

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Old 02-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #696
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Just pulling your chain.

Couldn't help myself, sorry.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #697
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16972761 Who knows what we will be growing next lol.

A theist is just an atheist with a space in it.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #698
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ILOVEJESUS wrote View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16972761 Who knows what we will be growing next lol.
Suddenly, I'm considering being a vegetarian.

Cool, but the description was too detailed in places.

For me.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:26 AM   #699
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Kind of interesting. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-hundreds.html

Old 02-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #700
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Yeah, brings up something the "organ selling market debate" didn't consider. Organs that are harvested, but get too damaged in transport, or are otherwise unfit for use. They're already removed from the donor, and paid for. So then what?

This alone tells me it is not a viable "market."

Old 02-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #701
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Yeah, brings up something the "organ selling market debate" didn't consider. Organs that are harvested, but get too damaged in transport, or are otherwise unfit for use. They're already removed from the donor, and paid for. So then what?

This alone tells me it is not a viable "market.".
It depends on the contract, but from the seller's point of view they've already taken the risk of surgery/donation. That the organ ultimately proved useless isn't their problem. Caveat emptor applies to organs as well.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #702
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Victus my dear fellow, think of another marketplace lol.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #703
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Victus wrote View Post
It depends on the contract, but from the seller's point of view they've already taken the risk of surgery/donation. That the organ ultimately proved useless isn't their problem. Caveat emptor applies to organs as well.
Argh!

What you say here is just such an argument for artificial organs.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #704
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Argh!

What you say here is just such an argument for artificial organs.
Why? Caveat emptor would apply there as well.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #705
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Victus wrote View Post
Why? Caveat emptor would apply there as well.
No, Victus. This example, more than any other, should show us that organs harvested from living beings are not commodities to be bought and sold. It's not like buying a bag of potato chips.

Or a used car.

Especially a used car.