Old 04-21-2006, 12:55 PM   #16
postbicameral

Quote:
Choobus wrote
A well written letter. Aside from a few grammatical points there seems to be only one major problem: you forgot to ask if he does anal.
Isn't it implied?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:33 PM   #17
RenaissanceMan

Sa-weet! These 'ten commandment' guys even have legislation pending...

H.R. 1070, S. 520

Still in committee... And I expect it won't get out alive. Basically (If I'm reading it right) it says the Supreme Court cannot review any case against a government office, body or official where GOD was referenced as the supreme authority.

It reads:
1 `` 1260. Matters not reviewable
2 ``Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter,
3 the Supreme Court shall not have jurisdiction to review,
4 by appeal, writ of certiorari, or otherwise, any matter to
5 the extent that relief is sought against an entity of Fed-
6 eral, State, or local government, or against an officer or
7 agent of Federal, State, or local government (whether or
8 not acting in official or personal capacity), concerning that
9 entity's, officer's, or agent's acknowledgment of God as
10 the sovereign source of law, liberty, or government.''.

That can't POSSIBLY mean what I think it means... that if some clown in Asshat, Arkansas Enacts legislation with the only justification being that the LAWD wants it that way... that the Supreme Court cannot review the case. Please tell me I'm reading this wrong.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:58 PM   #18
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Quote:
RenaissanceMan wrote

H.R. 1070, S. 520

Still in committee... And I expect it won't get out alive. Basically (If I'm reading it right) it says the Supreme Court cannot review any case against a government office, body or official where GOD was referenced as the supreme authority.

It reads:

That can't POSSIBLY mean what I think it means... that if some clown in Asshat, Arkansas Enacts legislation with the only justification being that the LAWD wants it that way... that the Supreme Court cannot review the case. Please tell me I'm reading this wrong.
I'm no lawyer (I resisted the temptation to go to the dark side of philosophy), I think it's saying exactly what you think it's saying. And that is fuuucked up.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:16 PM   #19
Accuser of the Brethren

I’m no lawyer either but I can see no way this law isn't struck down as unconstitutional. For one if you read the bill, specifically this part:

“Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, the Supreme Court shall not have jurisdiction to review, by appeal, writ of certiorari, or otherwise, any matter to the extent that relief is sought against an element of Federal, State, or local government, or against an officer of Federal, State, or local government (whether or not acting in official personal capacity), by reason of that element’s or officer’s acknowledgment of God as the sovereign source of law, liberty, or government.”

And you see read the 1st amendment of the constitution:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Specifically the first part: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion

If Congress recognizes "God" as the sovereign source of law, and this law is not struck down then judges may impose religious law from the bible with out BEING SUBJECT TO JUDICIAL OVERSIGHT! Do to the Supreme Court not having oversight of this issue. Now you might say "But the appellate courts would throw it out!", maybe in the liberil states but if you're living in the bible belt I wouldn't give it long before the likes of Pat Robertson managed to subvert a state justice.

Just look at this from a couple years back:
On January 6, 2004, the Yurica Report published “America Stands on the Edge of a Grave Constitutional Crisis Linked to Pat Robertson.” In that article it was reported that televangelist Pat Robertson devised a number of ways of limiting the power of the U.S. Supreme Court and the federal courts of America. To quote from the article, Robertson said as early as March 24, 1986, “Congress could say, ‘There’s a whole class of cases you can’t hear’ and there’s nobody can do anything about it!”

I can honestly say that if this bill pass's and is not struck down Ill move to another country, because this one would be going down the road to being just as a intolerant religious state as the Taliban was in Afghanistan.

I would like give props to this sight for giving me the background and the argument for this issue:
http://www.yuricareport.com/Dominion...orationAct.htm
Old 04-21-2006, 05:29 PM   #20
Silentknight

Quote:
Tenspace wrote
Thanks, Silent... you just did my research for me. :)
No problem.

Fundies always pull out the Ten Commandments as moral absolutes which they think form the basis for the laws of every society on earth in some form. Had they actually bothered to read the commandments in context they'd realize just how bloodthirsty the biblegod is. If this godfucking committee wants to force Mosaic laws on the rest of society they're going to have to admit that they are likewise in favor of enforcing harsh capital punishment on any violators. They cannot have it both ways.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:51 PM   #21
GodlessHeathen
Obsessed Member

Quote:
RenaissanceMan wrote

H.R. 1070, S. 520

It reads:

Sorry, I can't do that - you're not reading it wrong. HR1070 is the Constitution Restoration Act of 2005. This has actually been kicked around Congress for a couple of years, but it's never reached the floor.

Christian: One who believes that the New Testament is a divinely inspired book admirably suited to the spiritual needs of his neighbor. - Ambrose Bierce
GodlessHeathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #22
Oz

Quote:
GodlessHeathen wrote
Sorry, I can't do that - you're not reading it wrong. HR1070 is the Constitution Restoration Act of 2005. This has actually been kicked around Congress for a couple of years, but it's never reached the floor.
Can't complain... it deserves to be kicked around. Hard. In the balls.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:45 PM   #23
darwinfish

Quote:
Accuser of the Brethren wrote
I can honestly say that if this bill pass's and is not struck down Ill move to another country, because this one would be going down the road to being just as a intolerant religious state as the Taliban was in Afghanistan.
at least do the world a favor and blow up the white house or a couple churches before you leave...what's that? did I just advocate terrorism?...more like the US government justifies attacks against itself.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:44 AM   #24
leguru

Quote:
To wit, I will be issuing a press release through a nationally-recognized organization challenging you to either drum up some genuine references to yours statement, or to retract the press release, in its entirety, for being disingineous, manipulative, and full of falsehoods.
yours statement should be your statement; disingineous should be disingenuous
Other that that, it's a great project. Lots of luck.