Old 03-15-2006, 09:45 AM   #16
HeathenLifer

Quote:
Victus wrote
Alot of psychological disorders are becoming more prevalent as the world 'shrinks'. Some believe this is because of an actual change in the population, others the sinple fact that we are becoming better at detecting them (I would propose that the truth lies somewhere in between the two).

One that I find the most interesting is psychopathy (most interesting disorder I've ever seen). Several researchers have deemed psychopaths to be 'interspecies predators'. It's like their built for playing the social game like a fiddle. They have deficiencies in their amigdyla (spelled so so wrong) which can cause a sense of fearlessness. Furthermore they have deficits in their prefrontal cortexes, which has been linked to pathological lying, conning, manipulative behaviors and the like. Also, where intelligence usually inhibits criminal behaviors, in psychopaths it actually seems to make them 'better' criminals.

Some researchers in psychopathy believe that it is a fairly recent evolutionary development (heredity research pending) which allows a limited number of 'wolves' to exist inside of a herd of 'sheep'.

Anyone else have opinions on this interesting disorder?
I found this on one website about psychopaths and their traits.

Quote:
http://faculty.ncwc.edu/toconnor/428/428lect16.htm wrote
The crimes of psychopaths are usually stone-cold, remorseless killings for no apparent reason. They cold-bloodedly take what they want and do as they please without the slightest sense of guilt or regret. In many ways, they are natural-born intraspecies predators who satisfy their lust for power and control by charm, manipulation, intimidation, and violence. While almost all societies would regard them as criminals (the exception being frontier or warlike societies where they might become heroes, patriots, or leaders),
[url=http://faculty.ncwc.edu/toconnor/428/428lect16.htm[/url]I think that explains the evolutionary plusses to psychopathy: A charismatic leader for the tribe who douesn't take no for an answer and is willing to do anything.
After all, hasn't human society until very recently been a frontier/warlike society where the actions of psychopaths would benefit their group by preying on others'?

If your calculator adds your inputs 2 and 3 and gets 5, but the real problem you were trying to solve was 2 plus 2, the machine gives the wrong answer for your problem. The machine isn\'t broken and yet it got the wrong answer. It was gullible and believed your lie and behaved accordingly. - Sternwallow
HeathenLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:28 AM   #17
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
One thing that I always suspected was true but never saw in print until recently is that the part of the brain that processes (creates?) emotions -- the prefrontal cortex -- evolved most recently. I suppose this was concurrent with Homo becoming a cooperator, in which things like face-recognition, empathy, etc emerged as survival strategies. Caring for granny and the disabled is probably a consequence of that -- and perhaps an ironic one, since expending resources on non-childbearing, unproductive clan members seems contrary to maximizing survival.

Tenspace, isn't this a rather loose usage of the word 'prediction'? Or is there a legitimate scientific usage in which a prediction can be 'formed' retroactively through observation of present conditions?
Ever notice how the brain's physical structure parallels the evolutionary predictions about the structure? Core, basic functions in the brain stem, then vision in the occipital lobe, higer functions like emotions, auditory control and spatial realization in the parietal and temporal lobes, and finally the part that makes us human, the workings of the frontal lobes, which are also the farthest from the oldest structures like the stem.

Re prediction - Loose as in the quasi-EvoPsych methodology of finding an evolutionary reason for anything you can bring up? Or would postdiction be a more appropriate way of looking at it? To me, it just seems to fit together so well that it probably is possible to make qualified scientific predictions based on this theory.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:22 PM   #18
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
HeathenLifer wrote
I think that explains the evolutionary plusses to psychopathy: A charismatic leader for the tribe who douesn't take no for an answer and is willing to do anything.
After all, hasn't human society until very recently been a frontier/warlike society where the actions of psychopaths would benefit their group by preying on others'?
The quotes you posted only had one thing (and even then only partially) incorrect. Most psychopathic aggression is instrumental (the guy has something I want) in nature as opposed to reactive (that guy stepped on my toe). Though they do commit more of both, instrumental is their primary MO.

But yeah, another criteria for the PCL-R (psychopathy checklist revised, Hare 1991) which is the main diagnostic tool for this disorder, is that they be sexually.. 'loose'.

This applies to both men and women with psychopathy. It's like they're built specifically for having an evolutionary advantage in a social species.

Fascinating.

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote