Old 08-30-2006, 12:49 PM   #16
TheAmazingPinball

It isn't saying there aren't neurological causes but that what neurological causes there are (or may be) are not located in one specific area.

Anyone who reads more into this than "The main goal of the study was to identify the neural correlates of a mystical experience," should just go to bed.

Edit: That last comment wasn't directed at you Judge but at those who would take this simple little article to be an argument for or against the existence of a sky daddy. It occurred to me after posting that it might look like I was saying that to you.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:22 PM   #17
The Judge
Obsessed Member

Quote:
oliverwxyz wrote
The problem with study of brain activity like this is how to distinguish between activity occuring becasue of imagination and activity occurring becasue of an objective extrernal force/being etc. As it says above, I imagine it;s hard to tell scientifically a difference between someone imagining or remembering a mystical experience and the 'real thing', other than that the latter might be more intense I guess.
There are functional brain imaging techniques which have shown the genuine auditory experiences of e.g. schizophrenics in the absence of external stimuli i.e. auditory areas of the brain "light up" as activated during the experience of auditory hallucinations (hearing voices) despite there being no external cause.

So such differences can and have been measured.

Auditory hallucinations are of course one thing, "mystical experiences" are another, but it's fairly common that they go hand in hand and the delusional interpretation of the these hallucinatory experiences often manifests itself as "mystical / spiritual" in those who are quite ill.

Invisibility and nothingness look an awful lot alike.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:24 PM   #18
The Judge
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Los Pepes wrote
I was just fuckin witchya judge... :cheers:
I know ;) :cheers:

Invisibility and nothingness look an awful lot alike.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:40 AM   #19
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

I don't give a shit if it's the wrong thread - but shirley a view from our lady members would be welcomed!

Quote:
The elusive erogenous zone said to exist in some women may be a myth, say researchers who have hunted for it.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #20
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
The women in the study, who were all pairs of identical and non-identical twins ...

This 2-5cm thing is good news, for some of us ...

Quote:
The Gräfenberg Spot, or G-Spot, was named in honour of the German gynaecologist Ernst Gräfenberg who described it over 50 years ago and is said to sit in the front wall of the vagina some 2-5cm up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #21
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
The women in the study, who were all pairs of identical and non-identical twins ...
Now, that's a study I can get behind.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #22
VladTheImpaler
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Tenspace wrote View Post
Now, that's a study I can get behind.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then is he malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~Epicurus
VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #23
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
VladTheImpaler wrote View Post
There... fixed that for ya.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #24
pinkmagpie

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
I don't give a shit if it's the wrong thread - but shirley a view from our lady members would be welcomed!
I find it hilarious that they can't find it. It wouldn't deserve the title of "elusive" if it were any other way...
Old 01-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #25
tjakey

Anyone can experience a oneness with god and the cosmos, all it takes is the careful application of the appropriate pharmaceuticals.