Old 11-06-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
JU Mike
Obsessed Member

I was arguing with a theist the other day about the role that the evolution theory plays in scientific fields besides biology. This guy kept mouthing off that "evolution is a useless theory even if it's true because a brain surgeon doesn't need to know that men evolved from apes to examine someone's brain blah blah blah..." (sounded like a kent hovind argument). Of course this is where my bullshit detector started going all over the place, because I'm pretty sure that studying and understanding the evolution theory has gave us great progress in every science field, but since I'm no expert on any science field I didn't have enough information to correct him.

So I ask any experts out there, what would happen to all the science fields if by some freaky reason evolution was disproven, or how would it change what we know about psychology, medical science, chemistry, physics and all other stuff? If evolution was disproven would we have start every field from scratch, or would they all remain the same?
JU Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
Choobus
I Live Here

This assclown clearly has no idea about the scietific method. Ask him to come back when he's got some edumacation.

I could easily destroy his argument, but instead I merely ask this: does he like luxury?

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
Christ

Quote:
Choobus wrote
...but instead I merely ask this: does he like luxury?
:angel: You brought it back. :)
Old 11-06-2006, 09:14 PM   #4
schemanista

Quote:
JU Mike wrote
If evolution was disproven would we have start every field from scratch, or would they all remain the same?
None of them "remain the same". Not even evolutionary biology. The only way to "disprove" evolution is to come up with a better explanation for not only all of the abundant differences but also the manifold similarities amongst life on this planet. And the only way to do that would be through careful application of the scientific method. "Disproving" evolution would be one of the most significant validations of science imaginable--second only to upholding evolution as the explanitory paridigm for life on this planet.

Good luck with that.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
Victus
Obsessed Member

Schemanista nailed it. As for a brain surgeon not needing to have an awareness of evolutionary theory, this is incorrect. The nervous system is distributed in humans in a manner we would expect to see if they were quadropeds, rather than bipeds. If he didn't know this, he would be cutting things he ought not touch. I'll try to get a picture the details the distribution.

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #6
Christ

Quote:
Victus wrote
Schemanista nailed it. As for a brain surgeon not needing to have an awareness of evolutionary theory, this is incorrect. The nervous system is distributed in humans in a manner we would expect to see if they were quadropeds, rather than bipeds. If he didn't know this, he would be cutting things he ought not touch. I'll try to get a picture the details the distribution.
I'd be very interested if you'd do that, Victus. :) Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:28 PM   #7
JU Mike
Obsessed Member

Quote:
schemanista wrote
Quote:
JU Mike wrote
If evolution was disproven would we have start every field from scratch, or would they all remain the same?
None of them "remain the same". Not even evolutionary biology. The only way to "disprove" evolution is to come up with a better explanation for not only all of the abundant differences but also the manifold similarities amongst life on this planet. And the only way to do that would be through careful application of the scientific method. "Disproving" evolution would be one of the most significant validations of science imaginable--second only to upholding evolution as the explanitory paridigm for life on this planet.

Good luck with that.
Yea I guess that answers my question, thanks.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
Victus
Obsessed Member

The images below contain some nudity...

If we look at the ditribution of the peripheral nervous system as it branches off the dorsal horns of the spinal cord, we see a seemingly random mishmash of innervation throughout the body. This makes no sense in the context of bipedial humans.

However, if we look at this distribution in the context of humans having been quadropedial a handful of millions of years ago, everything falls into place...

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:17 AM   #9
JU Mike
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Victus wrote
The images below contain some nudity...

If we look at the ditribution of the peripheral nervous system as it branches off the dorsal horns of the spinal cord, we see a seemingly random mishmash of innervation throughout the body. This makes no sense in the context of bipedial humans.

http://lpig.doereport.com/imagesenlarged/4941W.jpg

However, if we look at this distribution in the context of humans having been quadropedial a handful of millions of years ago, everything falls into place...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...dermatomes.jpg
I see. That's what I was trying to explain to this guy, but I'm not shocked by the fact that he didn't listen. Alot of people think that evolution is just about "monkey becoming a man", when there is more to it then that. Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:20 AM   #10
Eva
Super Moderator

SAM HARRIS, TOMORROW NIGHT (WEDNESDAY) 7 PM EASTERN TIME IN THE TRA FORUMS CHAT!!!!!!

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:23 AM   #11
schemanista

Quote:
Eva wrote
SAM HARRIS, TOMORROW NIGHT (WEDNESDAY) 7 PM EASTERN TIME IN THE TRA FORUMS CHAT!!!!!!
Eva, when is Sam Harris going to be in the TRA Forums chat? I can't seem to find any information about it. :D
Old 11-07-2006, 07:26 AM   #12
Eva
Super Moderator

tomorrow, 7 pm est.
he got confirmed a couple of days ago.
prof chaos has been emailing the publicist, and he agreed to tomorrow night.

there is one thread about it but i realized almost no one knew...so i spammed the threads with this news...

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:27 AM   #13
GaryM

Quote:
schemanista wrote
Quote:
Eva wrote
Eva, when is Sam Harris going to be in the TRA Forums chat? I can't seem to find any information about it. :D
It's midnight on Thursday if you're in the UK :D
Old 11-07-2006, 09:44 AM   #14
darwinfish

what is 7 eastern time in mountain time? 5? fuck, I'd be in class then!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:46 AM   #15
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
darwinfish wrote
what is 7 eastern time in mountain time? 5? fuck, I'd be in class then!
Ditch!

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote