Old 10-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #16
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
DrunkMonkey wrote View Post
If you look at the link it just says "on average". This was just the only reference that I could find with a quick search. I heard about this concept (molecules being replaced) in one of my classes and I want to say it was my into to psychology course 3 years ago. I think the professor said something like "every molecule is different from when you were born" and most people in the class at that time would have been about 18 or 19 years old. Of course that would cover enamel since you get new teeth between your birth and 18 years later.
Yes, I too, heard about the molecular replacement some time ago. I recollect it was about 7 years between changes for adults. It seems unlikely to apply to tooth enamel though. For one thing, that is the most often found remains of ancient people, their teeth, after all else has worn away or dissolved.

At my age, my teeth are removed and replaced every day ... at bedtime and awakening respectively.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:12 AM   #17
1seekstruth

Just curious, while we're on the topic....what is every one's moral take on cloning?

Should we be trying to find ways to clone people, or should we just let "nature take its course?"

I know most people in the religious world view cloning as a "sinful abomination," but what are your guys' take on it?

Personally, I don't think it's too bad at this point. The only way I would take issue with it is if somehow in the process, cells were compromised causing hideous mutations----Although, I doubt this would happen anywhere else but in a low-budget horror film! I'm just starting biology right now, so forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject...
Old 10-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #18
Tenspace
I Live Here

We're already cloning people, naturally, in the womb, usually in pairs.

If we had the technology to transfer our minds into fresh bodies, I'd be all for cloning, a la Peter F Hamilton's sci-fi Re-Life

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #19
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Isn't it somewhat questionable when religious folk insist that God injects a soul into an embryo at conception inside a woman's body but He is unable to do it in a Petri dish?

Is God shy? Does He have performance anxiety?

Following Harris, a fertilized egg can split into two individuals, called twins. Does God make a return visit to inject another soul, and if so, into which of the two does it go and how can God tell?

Sometimes, after some time has passed and the two twin embryos have grown to some number of cells, they can merge into a single individual called a "chimera" [ky-mera]. What happens to the second soul? How can any sane person reconcile this "arithmetic of souls"?

If there is no soul in the first place it would neatly dispense with the whole problem of making clones.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #20
BOF

"Isn't it somewhat questionable when religious folk insist that God injects a soul into an embryo at conception inside a woman's body but He is unable to do it in a Petri dish?'

'My understanding is that he is supposed to exactly that,which is the basis of the theological opposition of experimentation and harvesting of artificially produced embyos.

OR is it the nonsense about "potential" ? Or both?