Old 04-11-2006, 01:12 AM   #1
iiartisanii

I was in an argument today over evolution with a creationist. . which is not something I'd recommend. I found myself laughing at some of the "proof" for creationism. Also, I learned today that creationism IS a science . . right haha.

Well, I heard an argument for creationism today that I've never come across before. And being a science major, I get a real kick out of these things so I thought I'd share it.

Since radiometric dating of C-14 can only be traced back 60,000ish years, that means that the universe is only 60,000 years old! Life did not exist before 60,000 years because there are no fossil records.

Now, when I mentioned that the half life of U-234 was about 700 million years, there was a long pause. .

"Well uranium is not found in biological organisms"

Have any of you ever heard this argument for creationism before? Or any others that are extremely amusing?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:51 AM   #2
CavKiller37

The funniest argument for the young earth that I've heard was on the god channel a few years ago. This really old guy who used to be an engineer was talking about the rotation of the earth and how it proved creationism.

His theory basically said that during the noah flood event all of the water in the atmosphere fell to earth as rain. This sped up the rotation of the earth because now all of that mass was closer to the center of the earth. Thus the earth "aged" several million years in the span of several thousand.

What an asshat.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:06 AM   #3
schemanista

Quote:
CavKiller37 wrote
His theory basically said that during the noah flood event all of the water in the atmosphere fell to earth as rain. This sped up the rotation of the earth because now all of that mass was closer to the center of the earth. Thus the earth "aged" several million years in the span of several thousand.
So that explains the Livingstone Limestone!

Quote:
What an asshat.
That's a synonym for creationist, in my grammar.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:10 AM   #4
Demigod79

Quote:
iiartisanii wrote
I was in an argument today over evolution with a creationist. . which is not something I'd recommend. I found myself laughing at some of the "proof" for creationism. Also, I learned today that creationism IS a science . . right haha.

Well, I heard an argument for creationism today that I've never come across before. And being a science major, I get a real kick out of these things so I thought I'd share it.

Since radiometric dating of C-14 can only be traced back 60,000ish years, that means that the universe is only 60,000 years old! Life did not exist before 60,000 years because there are no fossil records.

Now, when I mentioned that the half life of U-234 was about 700 million years, there was a long pause. .

"Well uranium is not found in biological organisms"

Have any of you ever heard this argument for creationism before? Or any others that are extremely amusing?
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
The funniest thing I've heard in a long while

Religion - it gives people hope in a world torn apart by religion.
Demigod79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:39 AM   #5
schemanista

Quote:
iiartisanii wrote
Or any others that are extremely amusing?
I like the one where Ica stones and Nazca weavings prove that dinosaurs and humans co-existed, thus invalidating the geologic column and refuting evolution.

They're so wacky, those creationists!
Old 04-11-2006, 07:54 AM   #6
a different tim
Obsessed Member

We had one on the front page called Jen who argued that the moon is receding due to tidal forces (which it is), and that half a billion years ago it would have been touching the earth, so all the dinosaurs would have been dead, so short earth creationism must be true.

Turned out she'd misplaced a decimal point in her calculation. :lol:

"You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat-catching, and will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family"
a different tim is offline   Reply With Quote