Old 01-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #361
Michael
Obsessed Member

Hah. It is too.

I should be more careful who I rip images from in future.

Michael...you are correct
- selliedjoup
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #362
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

Cheers. Happy invasion day!

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:59 AM   #363
Michael
Obsessed Member

[edit] never mind it doesn't work on ipad.

Michael...you are correct
- selliedjoup
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #364
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Snake Salvation pastor dies from snake bite.

I read somewhere that one shouldn't speak bad of the dead, only good.
He's dead. Good.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #365
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

I'm sure many of us enjoy an occasional delve into the pharyngulan goings on with PZ Myers, and I did like this response he concocted to some catlicking apologist today. In short - fuck off you idiot!

Fanatical Catholics are always good for a laugh.
Quote:
I’m not sure to what degree you’ve studied the history of Christianity, but I assume you’re at least somewhat aware that the Catholic claim to a historic link from the time of Jesus to now is accurate.
Which explains how Catholic church services and doctrine is so precisely like what a poor first century Jew would have experienced.
Yes, there is a historic “link” from a Jesus cult in the ancient Mediterranean to the modern Catholic church. There are also historic links to pagan practices in Germany, the Mithraic cults from Persia, the political maneuvering in the 3rd and 4th centuries CE (which makes House of Cards look tame), etc. — syncretism is the rule, not the exception. The church has been evolving for as long as it existed, and when cladogenesis occurs, as in the Reformation, both branches are able to trace their lineage back to the same original set of founding events.
I’m not defending Protestantism, by the way. You’re both loony.
Quote:
Since the historical record is clear, since we know that the Catholic church–contrary to Protestant propaganda–has supported science throughout the ages, why exactly does Western society have to conform to liberal cosmopolitan norms, by accepting matters such as gay marriage which run contrary to our culture?
The historical record is clear — all religions are products of their times. You can’t make a case for Catholic exceptionalism without some Protestant making a case for the new and superior revelations of Martin Luther, or Muslim making a case for their prophet, whom you neglect or revile.
Since you are so focused on the historical record, you are aware, are you not, that Catholicism formed in a very cosmopolitan culture, in the heart of the most powerful empire in the ancient world? The core of Catholicism is very urban. Visit Rome and see.
Oh, I can tell you’re just one of those conservative Catholics who believes that their current social beliefs have always been so, and seeks to justify their every kneejerk rejection of change by claiming that the founder of your religion would have agreed. Sorry, no. Paul of Tarsus might well have been a nasty homophobe and misogynist, but that doesn’t mean we have to be. Catholics have changed a lot in the last few centuries. You’ve changed how you handle marriage a lot…unless you’re also one of those reactionaries who thinks love is irrelevant and women should have no say in who they marry.
Quote:
It just seems bizarre to me that every other culture around the world is allowed to keep their traditions but for whatever reason, in large part due to Protestant superstitions, we’re told we must abandon the Catholic tradition. You don’t see anything strange about that?
Protestants are squawking just as loudly as you are about gay marriage. Mormons are on your side in this issue, which ought to make you pause. This is not a conspiracy by organized religion to make Catholics suffer, so just crawl down off that cross.
I think it’s cute what you did there: Protestants have superstitions, but you have traditions. You really are peas in a pod.
Also, no one is making you change your traditions or telling you what to believe. You don’t have to get married to someone of the same sex. Your church doesn’t even have to carry out gay marriage ceremonies. You get to do as you want.
Except where it hurts people.
That’s the thing. Where you think you are just so fucking special because you’re Catholic, the rest of the world is trying to grow up and recognize that every one of us, gay or straight, man or woman, brown or pink, are human beings who deserve equal treatment under the law, and that ‘tradition’ is not a sufficient excuse to refuse some people their rights.
I would also ask how, if a pair of gay atheists marry, it makes you abandon your Catholic tradition? Or what if it’s a pair of liberal Lutherans, or a pair of ex-Catholics? Is it just violating your Catholic tradition of treating some people as less than human?
Quote:
You don’t have to like the Catholic church but you must know that a lot of the science/faith nonsense was created by Protestant propagandists all too willing to exaggerate any little hiccup in Catholic land. They didn’t think the Earth was flat, I assume you know that. I know I’m a Catholic apologist but you should at least look fairly at matters such as the Inquisition and the Galileo trial, there are a lot of exaggerated stories about both.
No, the Catholic church has not been a defender of science. It has been a defender of its own power and its own dogma. Science that contradicts your silly beliefs is either slapped down or mangled to fit. And it has always done that.
The Catholic church does not actually support evolution, for instance. It supports a bastardized version of directed evolution (two words that contradict each other profoundly), with your god creating beings who resembled him in some way using evolution (again, nonsense) and then suddenly creating a distinct transition with magical ensoulment.
Galileo and the Inquisition…just “little hiccups in Catholic land”. Right. Sounds like Catholic history, to me: self-serving distortions everywhere.
Quote:
I guess what I’m saying is that to be Catholic, truly Catholic, you can see just how wicked Protestants behaved (and can you not laugh at their ignorance of history, their belief that the Bible just appeared in English in the 17th century?), how blurred they made all of history, and how it’s a shame that they planted these seeds of confusion in this land. There is really no need to reconcile science with faith, whether you like it or not the Catholic church has always supported science.
Man, you really have a hate-on for Protestants, don’t you? Weird. I get Protestants who tell me how unchristian and evil Catholics are, too, you know. I think you’re both bonkers.
So, what century did the Bible appear, and in what languages was it composed? How was it assembled? Or is that too much sausage making for you?

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #366
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

I wonder if this catholic thanked PZ for handing his arse to him

Old 02-25-2014, 08:41 AM   #367
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #368
Davin
Obsessed Member

lol

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #369
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

http://www.jhuger.com/kissing-hanks-ass

Old 03-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #370
Semper Idem

Quote:
ChristI wrote View Post
I'm going to use that the next time I see a Christian. I mean based on his assessments, one must be able to beat the Christian out of them right?
Sexual orientation is genetic; it cannot be beaten out of someone. That's why all ex-gay 'therapy' fails so badly - you can't change someone's genetics.

Ultimately, the only way someone will change is if they want to change; this desire must come from one's own initiative. Attempting to 'scare straight' fails at this point - bullying may cause an appearance of change, but that's all it is - appearance. It isn't actual change.

Saying that atheists hate God is like saying that teetotalers are alcoholics.
Semper Idem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:38 AM   #371
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

The Lard does indeed seem to work in mysterious ways.
Quote:
A California man remains missing a day after he was swept out to sea during an ocean baptism. Benito Flores, 43, was among several people helping his cousin, Pastor Maurigro Cervantes, baptise a man near the Guadalupe Dunes Preserve north of Santa Barbara.

Two others were swept out by a huge wave but were able to swim to shore.
The US Coast Guard says the search for Mr Flores was called off at midnight on Sunday.
I wonder if these stupid procedures need to carry a mental health warning?

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 03-31-2014, 08:40 PM   #372
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

Go straight to heaven/hell. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:15 AM   #373
Davin
Obsessed Member

Maybe all baptisms should be more life threatening...

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #374
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Is it just me?!!!

Quote:
Noah screening cancelled due to flooding

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #375
Davin
Obsessed Member

Maybe it's a sign.