Old 01-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #16
Sternwallow
I Live Here

When I used to pray, I always got a response: "That number is not in service, please check it and try again."

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #17
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
I dislike the "grace" malarkey at meals, along with the ritual muttering of nonsense at formal council sessions.
At last we have a turning of the tide;

A Green Councillor is considering legal action in Kendal.

Bideford Council scraps it's pre-meeting bullshit.

OK, it's only a piddling two Councils I've found thus far, but it's a step in the right direction for us secularists.

Does Brother Merkin have this muttering to deal with in public chambers?
Are you kidding? Is the pope a demented creep? I've had to deal with it countless times at my job. When your boss bows his/her head in prayer, you have to do the same...or not...and then get fired on some pretext or another.

Edit: Ah...old thread.

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #18
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Good to see the great faiths getting along so well

But I couldn't help pissing myself laughing at this gem:

Do these fucking fools realise how retarded they seem to some members of the species?
Hmm..don't forget retardation is MENTAL ILLNESS as is temporal lobe EPILEPSY which by creating Bizarre Beliefs of GOD ( an anachronism in this 21st Century) defines these folks NOT as "fool" but ChristPSyschotics ( if their Delusion happens to be a resurrected Zombie named Jesus Christ who saves with blood)

Religious beliefs, which occur in the BRAIN are a neurological disorder not unlike status epilepticus, schizophrenia etc.

here learn:
http://epilepsy.healthchecknetwork.c...-brain-4-of-5/

"BBC Horizon looks at belief in the supernatural being caused by temperal lobe epilepsy."

Isn't temporal lobe epilepsy a DISORDER?

This phrase can be reworded this way "BBC Horizon looks at belief in the supernatural being caused by ChristPsychosis."

"The connection between the temporal lobes of the brain and religious feeling has led one Canadian scientist to try stimulating them. (They are near your ears.) 80% of Dr Michael Persinger’s experimental subjects report that an artificial magnetic field focused on those brain areas gives them a feeling of ‘not being alone’. Some of them describe it as a religious sensation. His work raises the prospect that we are programmed to believe in god, that faith is a mental ability humans have developed or been given. And temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE) could help unlock the mystery."

Please remove blindfolds.

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #19
Steel

I skip over the "under god" part of the pledge of allegiance when I have to say it.

Irreligious:
Quote:
At some point, folks without the stomach for bitter discord will decide to throw in the towel while others will commence slapping each other with it.
Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #20
Qlidnaque

I live in Canada Vancouver, never knew this public prayer thing was so serious in the US with real life implications.
Qlidnaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #21
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Qlidnaque wrote View Post
I live in Canada Vancouver, never knew this public prayer thing was so serious in the US with real life implications.
Well, Canadians are not as infected with ChristPsychosis as are Americans. The BizarreBeliefs produced by the disorder is inducing those poor demented people to express it.
For this every reason one doesn't see that much paredolia & glosolalia, manifestations of the disorder, in Canada.

I'm certain the Lillooet, Seechelt, Siksika, Tatlitkutchin and others have a better way of obtain the psychosis by ingesting entheogens becoming ONE with their neurological manifestations. Americans on the other hand are ravaged by this insidious schizotypy without ingesting entheogens.

The genetic malformation begun by ChristPsychosis inception with its mutation has been plaguing mankind for over 1700 years so with time No entheogens were needed to bring up the divine Spirits as Banisteriopsis caapi would have.

The reason we have in America naturally CRAZY people. ChristPSychosis.

It is just like performing a miracle where a Leader says to his followers BE DRUNK ! and automatically all of them begun behaving, reasoning & talking like someone that have consumed many alcoholic beverages..

ChristPsychosis is a very dangerous neurological disorder composed of many factors. A true syndrome where the cause can not be assigned to one agent but to many. For this very reason religious folks are not classified for the Bizarre Beliefs Accepting nuts they truly are. You're lucky Canada doesn't have that many of the theotards, thought I'm certain some ChristPSychotic Taze Russell ( Jehova's Witness) followers would knock at people's doors in Canada. ChristPSychosis infected Missionaries are IMHO the lowest of the low.

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #22
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Steel wrote View Post
I skip over the "under god" part of the pledge of allegiance when I have to say it.
That is a good start. Better is to realize that you never "have" to say it at all, especially not an adult, non-school setting.

It is nothing more than a tradition, like standing for the National Anthem.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:11 AM   #23
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Government uses UK’s ‘Christian heritage’ to justify collective worship in schools

In the you-kay, currently, all state-funded schools are required to hold a daily act of collective worship. This is usually of a broadly Christian character, though a school can apply to make this of some other faith.

Our highest legislative body is at least talking about this antiquated malarkey.

Quote:
The Education Bill was debated in the House of Lords yesterday, and humanist peers argued for abolishing English state schools’ requirement to hold a daily act of collective worship of a broadly Christian character. However, concerns were dismissed by the Government, who argued that the current system was ‘sufficiently flexible’ in allowing parents to withdraw their children, and referred to the country’s ‘Christian heritage’.
I'd be interested to see what percentage responded 'christ-stain' in the recent national census. I suppose we'll have to wait till it drops below 50% before the morning worship bollocks finally does some dust biting.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:11 AM   #24
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
In the you-kay, currently, all state-funded schools are required to hold a daily act of collective worship. This is usually of a broadly Christian character, though a school can apply to make this of some other faith.
Our highest legislative body is at least talking about this antiquated malarkey.

I'd be interested to see what percentage responded 'christ-stain' in the recent national census. I suppose we'll have to wait till it drops below 50% before the morning worship bollocks finally does some dust biting.
Can those parents apply to not pay taxes for schools they pull their kids out of as well?

The whole purpose of tradition is to institutionalize practices that have been presumably a good thing to do for the society at some time in the past. It is a matter of being able to remember that activity so that it can be accurately repeated. In this sense tradition is much the same as music and poetry, both of which are simply memory aids. Therefore we can see that as soon as an activity becomes traditional it is almost immediately obsolete even if it was beneficial in the first place so I believe that tradition and doctrine are very bad reasons to do anything.

T Ithe repair manual for the 1948 Land Rover was beautifully written a contains much can be considered excellent literature. There is much deep philosophical truth in it and it provides wonderful insights into the mechanics of road transportation. The section on balancing spring pressure in the breaking system is deeply moving, for instance.

It has therefore become the traditional manual for repairing all of my cars even the most current ones, that is to say, it is a huge part of my automotive history and it is to be regarded as authoritative because of its age.

I wouldn't want to live in a world where the Range Rover and its magnificent manual had never existed.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:28 AM   #25
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

The 1948 manual is truly a beautiful piece of literature, but I wouldn't be happy to have my kids forced to listen to the preachings of Arthur Goddard - unless they really wanted to of course.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #26
Broga
Obsessed Member

The only prayer that was unloaded on me as a small child was:

If I should die before I sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.

It occured to me in later life that this isn't the most cheering of incantations. However, as the prayer was as meaningless then, as it remains, I never thought about it.

For the really stomach churning, I think the, "Vicar, I wonder if you might say grace for us" is high on the list. The vicar then simpers, graciously agrees, and says his piece.

Do any of those so enthusiastic about prayers think about what they are doing? Do they see any results? Or do they just like appearing pious?
Broga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #27
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
If I should die before I wake
I pray the Lord my soul to take

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #28
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
Can those parents apply to not pay taxes for schools they pull their kids out of as well?

The whole purpose of tradition is to institutionalize practices that have been presumably a good thing to do for the society at some time in the past. It is a matter of being able to remember that activity so that it can be accurately repeated. In this sense tradition is much the same as music and poetry, both of which are simply memory aids. Therefore we can see that as soon as an activity becomes traditional it is almost immediately obsolete even if it was beneficial in the first place so I believe that tradition and doctrine are very bad reasons to do anything.

T Ithe repair manual for the 1948 Land Rover was beautifully written a contains much can be considered excellent literature. There is much deep philosophical truth in it and it provides wonderful insights into the mechanics of road transportation. The section on balancing spring pressure in the breaking system is deeply moving, for instance.

It has therefore become the traditional manual for repairing all of my cars even the most current ones, that is to say, it is a huge part of my automotive history and it is to be regarded as authoritative because of its age.

I wouldn't want to live in a world where the Range Rover and its magnificent manual had never existed.
The 1948 Land Rover is the only true off road vehicle! Hollowed be it's frame!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #29
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote View Post
Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
If I should die before I wake
I pray the Lord my soul to take

Now I lay here still awake.
I pray the Lord my ass to take.
If He should cum before I sleep,
I pray my cream-pie bum will seep.

Ahhhhh....men!

~ Ghoulslime "Hot for Jesus" Christ

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #30
dogpet
Obsessed Member

When someone asks the vicar to pray, for who's sake are they asking? The vicar's of course whether he wants to or not, the asking is part of the pantomime. I will object next time, who's with me?
Shouldn't grace be at the end of a meal anyhow, or wait till next day to see if anyone threw up?

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote