Old 09-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
myst7426

The word evolution

I have been noticing that the word evolution is being used frequently in my astronomy textbook. My professor uses the term a lot as well. In all instances, the word does not describe organic evolution. This is a main problem with all the idiot theists like Kent Hovind using the word incorrectly. Scientists need to be more careful with terminology.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
snap crafter

Evolution is change over time guy, don't blame scientists for people's stupidity.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
myst7426

Quote:
snap crafter wrote View Post
Evolution is change over time guy, don't blame scientists for people's stupidity.
My point is they use the term too loosely and idiots like Kent Hovind attempt to link cosmic evolution with organic evolution.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
snap crafter

Quote:
myst7426 wrote View Post
My point is they use the term too loosely and idiots like Kent Hovind attempt to link cosmic evolution with organic evolution.
Kent Hovind is far from an idiot, he knows how to sell his wares.

Everything evolves! Ideas evolve, species evolve, the universe evolves; who cares what idiots think.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
Choobus
I Live Here

It's clear to all but the most slack jawed of yokels that stellar evolution has nothing to do with Darwinian evolution. Scientists don't usually take such individuals into account when writing articles and such.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:34 PM   #6
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

This ranks up there with the most retarded threads ever created.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
myst7426

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
It's clear to all but the most slack jawed of yokels that stellar evolution has nothing to do with Darwinian evolution. Scientists don't usually take such individuals into account when writing articles and such.
Sure, but there are a lot of slack jawed yokels in my astronomy class (intro course). I am just taking the class for fun to fill up my non-business credit hour requirements. The class average for today's quiz was pathetic (a failing score).
Old 09-10-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
Choobus
I Live Here

Myst, you are a fetid, dripping, example of what the word cunt really means.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:08 AM   #9
a different tim
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
Unless you're Lee Smolin, obviously*.

Just thought I'd throw that in.

*Yeah, OK, it's not quite stellar evolution, but close enough for this thread.

"You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat-catching, and will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family"

Last edited by Professor Chaos; 09-11-2007 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Fixed link
a different tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:57 AM   #10
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:

Everything evolves! Ideas evolve, species evolve, the universe evolves; who cares what idiots think.
Answer: parents care, school boards care, state legislatures care.
The difference matters because organic evolution explains the undirected, unintelligent, accumulation of complexity in living things.
Mountains evolve by eroding and they do not get more complex. Planaria evolve and have more acute light sensitivity without being told to do so.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:57 PM   #11
baconeatingatheistjew

Quote:
myst7426 wrote View Post
Sure, but there are a lot of slack jawed yokels in my astronomy class (intro course). I am just taking the class for fun to fill up my non-business credit hour requirements. The class average for today's quiz was pathetic (a failing score).
Do you expect any college that would accept you, to be full of anything but idiots?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #12
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:

I beg to differ, not everything evolves! HAve you ever seen A christ-psychosis infected brain evolve? Their paresis and stagnation is sign of non evolution. Their brains are frozen since their god created them..

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #13
Rat Bastard

I took Intro Astro for general ed. Kind of funny, having to take science courses, when I ended up with over 60 units of Physics. But anyway. I had that class right after my modern physics class. While my brain was spinning down from integrating Ψ*Ψ dΨ in my modern physics class, the other prof was trying to explain logarithms in the intro astro class. I aced that astro class, but most of the students had a seriously hard time with it.

You would have been just another slack-jawed yokel in that class, I think, Myst.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:43 PM   #14
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
calpurnpiso wrote View Post
I beg to differ, not everything evolves! HAve you ever seen A christ-psychosis infected brain evolve? Their paresis and stagnation is sign of non evolution. Their brains are frozen since their god created them..
I beg to differ. Everything evolves, but not all evolution is for the better. Damaged minds can be seen to sink ever further from reality whatever their original injury.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:55 AM   #15
Rocketman the Sequel

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote View Post
This ranks up there with the most retarded threads ever created.
I think you need to be a little more discerning about the use of the word retarded. I mean there is the common use...for the mentally challenged...then there is the idea of impeding motion--and then of course there is flame retardant--which is only marginally connected.

So I propose we use the word retarded only for the mentally challenged, and substitute the word --stopfromgoeeness--for the second--and the word flamitynono for the third--that way everyone will understand.