Old 01-10-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
DrunkMonkey
Alcoholic Primate

Anyone else ever browse this website? I do all the time and it usually doesn't take long to find a hillariously fundamentalist post. I've been trying to join for awhile to see all of the topics and join in, but I haven't had any luck.

And it would not surprise me if someone from that site read this. Thats right. I know all of your tricks.

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." -Richard Dawkins
DrunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
myst7426

I've been there and find it disturbing that a huge chunk of the US population thinks so radically. The rapture is never going to happen. Anyways, I could not join because I do not use an internet provider address.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
Baphomet

What I find disturbing is that some people want the rapture to occur. Like a bunch of christians just can't wait for the world to end in fire...
Old 01-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
Demigod79

Well, if it means meeting Jesus, entering paradise, and saying "I told you so" to non-believers then yeah, it would be the best thing ever :rolleyes:

Religion - it gives people hope in a world torn apart by religion.
Demigod79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:31 PM   #5
Interested Atheist

I've had a look at the site. It's extremely worrying. A bunch of people saying "You know, I left my boyfriend and gave up my job so that I can be more prepared for when Jesus comes. I stay at home now and watch TV for signs of his arrival all day. I hope he comes soon!"
Old 01-11-2006, 06:30 AM   #6
Realityhack

Quote:
Baphomet wrote
What I find disturbing is that some people want the rapture to occur. Like a bunch of christians just can't wait for the world to end in fire...
What I find far more distrubing is there attempts to bring about the end of the world based on that desire. Thats some seriously scary shit and people should be locked up in the funny farm for it. Same as any other homicidal cult.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:27 AM   #7
RenaissanceMan

LOL! That's hilarious. What is wrong with these people? Do they actually believe that a god that can't inspire someone to write down "The earth orbits the sun" managed to accurately insert the insane ramblings that is Relevations into a human's head?

Yeah, the US can be scary with it's boatload of fundies! Just think what would happen if we manage to elect one that says god tells him to invate other nations to the presidency!

Oh, crap. We did.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
ubs
I Live Here

The End Is Near - 2012? No! Closer

Biblical Scholar Harold Camping says that The Rapturetm is scheduled for 2011, making Hollywood and the Mayans big fat liars.

Quote:
Camping, 88, has scrutinized the Bible for almost 70 years and says he has developed a mathematical system to interpret prophecies hidden within the Good Book. One night a few years ago, Camping, a civil engineer by trade, crunched the numbers and was stunned at what he'd found: The world will end May 21, 2011.
One can't help but wonder if the tip came to him in a dream in 1960. Needless to say, his followers are quite excited.

Quote:
"I'm looking forward to it," said Ted Solomon, 60, who started listening to Camping in 1997. He's worked at Family Radio since 2004, making sure international translators properly dictate Camping's sermons.

"This world may have had an attraction to me at one time," Solomon said. "But now it's definitely lost its appeal."

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
GodlessHeathen
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
Biblical Scholar Harold Camping says that The Rapturetm is scheduled for 2011, making Hollywood and the Mayans big fat liars.

One can't help but wonder if the tip came to him in a dream in 1960. Needless to say, his followers are quite excited.
The same guy predicted the rapture in 1994. I read his book back then, because I actually believed in this rubbish back then.

He was wrong then. He'll be wrong this time, too.

Christian: One who believes that the New Testament is a divinely inspired book admirably suited to the spiritual needs of his neighbor. - Ambrose Bierce
GodlessHeathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #10
Choobus
I Live Here

So a biblical scholar (no different from "Harry Potter expert") says the world will end. Let's see the cunt put his money where his big mouth is and arrange for all the cash in his bank accounts to be transferred to charity the day before the cataclysm is due.

yeah, that's what I thought.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #11
Lily

Biblical scholars are scholars, as you know very well. They tend to be experts in history, ancient languages and cultures, archaeology, etc. etc. etc. Camping is not a scholar of any sort-- I am not sure he has a college education, though I have heard him called a civil engineer. In any case, by virtue of believing and preaching that he knows more than Christ, he is a heretic-- he is just another in a long line of those who can read Christ's words (that no one knows when the end will come. Not Jesus, not anybody. Only God.) and ignore them.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #12
Mog
Obsessed Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Camping

Apparently, according to Lily, if you ever try to learn about anything without the aid of a college or university, you could never be an expert in that subject. So even studying it for 70 years is useless without college guidance. (Also, there is nothing in Camping's claims that states that he knows more than Christ. Nor is he claiming he knows more than God, since by thinking that there were hidden messages in the Bible, he's telling us that God is telling us something about the end through the Bible.)

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #13
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
he is just another in a long line of those who can read Christ's words (that no one knows when the end will come. Not Jesus, not anybody. Only God.) and ignore them.
If Jesus IS God but doesn't know what God knows then, paradoxes aside, why should we listen to anything He (allegedly) said? Aren't you admitting that Jesus is both 100% Schmuck and 100% God? Ergo, God is a schmuck.....

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #14
Irreligious
I Live Here

Yeah, that's curious. Even Jesus doesn't know when he's due to return? What, is he not in communication with the fully God part of himself these days or is he just being indecisive? Or completely arbitrary?

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:49 PM   #15
Simple Mind

in case of rapture, can I have your car