Captain Relativity wrote View Post
Do they explode? Will you explode?
I don't think so
Old 12-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #17
Captain Relativity
Obsessed Member

Good to know. Happy Winter Solstice.

Atheism is a strictly non-prophet organization. - Carlin
And the Catholic Cow sez: "The Inquisition was a legal proceeding.
Victims had rights, trials, etc."
Captain Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #18
Simple Mind

Quote:
Captain Relativity wrote View Post
Good to know. Happy Winter Solstice.
thank you
Old 12-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #19
Simple Mind

ok

although I am surely not as well educated as some here, obviously, and I have a limited knowledge of both science and scripture. I assure you that will not stop me from spouting off

I live in north central Oklahoma , (admins will notice that my IP realizes back to Texas) smack in the middle of Jesus land
it's like being behind enemy lines or something. I don't just hate religious people,I work with some doozies ,.Southern baptists, a Mormon ,.Pentecostal holiness (the kind that flop around on the floor speaking in tongues). and for the most part they are good people who in 20 years there have refrained from trying to save me (I do keep my beliefs to myself ,. a survival technique) there is a born againer there,.he is most annoying,.ex drug hippie who came to the lord,.blah blah blah

I was born into Irish Catholosism but my father left the fold when I was 10, I have never had the "faith" , it's just not part of who I am, it just always seemed silly to me is the only way I can explain it.
as of late what with our little crusade in the middle east (and if you don't think the thumpers view it that way you are not talking to them the way I am) I have come to see that the push for the theocroisation ,.theocization?,..(spell check is not helping me with this one ) is at the strongest I've seen in my 52 years and that disturbs me greatly, I feel that people who love and trust in our constitution need to be stepping up now more than ever to protect our seperation clause or we may well lose it

so any way,.I came across this place while on a google search started reading and was quite entertained by the posting and thought I'd join
Old 12-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #20
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:32 AM   #21
GodIsAMyth

Welcome! Love your signature. I am not as educated as most of the people on here either so I find myself getting pretty intimidated. I am basically here to learn some good arguments to use against all of my christian Facebook friends (so far so good). Apparently saying that christianity is stupid just isn't working any longer, soooo. I'm also pretty new here too. Now...how about those genitals? Just a peek?
Old 12-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #22
Simple Mind

Quote:
GodIsAMyth wrote View Post
Welcome! Now...how about those genitals? Just a peek?
the world is not ready for that

and I can't upload a pic any way,.I guess we just link pics here?

I dunno
Old 12-25-2009, 09:37 AM   #23
Simple Mind

well,.I got the av to load
Old 12-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #24
Eva
Super Moderator

i see a stache in the photo, so i guess it's a boy!!

and well done, simple. that is a nice intro.

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #25
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
I am not as educated as most of the people on here either so I find myself getting pretty intimidated.
Here is what I learned when I first joined (after getting slapped down a few times): when you make an argument, be absolutely sure that you can back it up with some evidence.

Nothing gets the slapdown treatment quicker than someone presenting old wives' tales, urban legends, biased propaganda, and the like, as fact (well, maybe jackass theists preaching get cornholed a little quicker, but not by much).

Otherwise, keep an open mind, be ready to learn, and enjoy the feisty discussions. It worked for me. I am not intimidated, but I know when I am out of my league.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #26
psychodiva
I Live Here

I'd back that advice too nkb education isn't everyting- look at Lilseecow it's what you do with what sense you have that is more important

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #27
Simple Mind

Quote:
Welcome! Love your signature. I am not as educated as most of the people on here either so I find myself getting pretty intimidated. I am basically here to learn some good arguments to use against all of my christian Facebook friends (so far so good). Apparently saying that christianity is stupid just isn't working any longer, soooo. I'm also pretty new here too. Now...how about those genitals? Just a peek?
this is something you may be interested in
granted it's 100 years old but has many good points that can be used in your endeavors, it's looong and may take a day or three

http://www.infidels.org/library/hist...out_jesus.html
Old 12-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #28
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

I like the sentiment of your sig, Simple Mind, but the church grows fondler's what? The suspense is killing me.

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #29
Simple Mind

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
I like the sentiment of your sig, Simple Mind, but the church grows fondler's what? The suspense is killing me.

is that better?

damn smug educated people
Old 12-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #30
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Hi Simple, like the sig now.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote