Old 09-12-2005, 11:34 PM   #1
"IT"

There are those who believe we are born, we live, we die, and go into nothingness. It's kind of like a machine. When it's use is over we throw it away. But how depressing is that? the thought that once your use is up you’ll be thrown out and replaced. What's you're opinion? What happens when we die? Be honest.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
Choobus
I Live Here

When you die NOTHING HAPPENS. Depressing or not, get over it you pussy. What is more pathetic than someone wasting their life with contrived foolishness hoping for a great afterlife when no such thing exists. At the very least, we don't know now and possibly can't know what happens after death, so worrying about it is worse than pointless, it's retarded.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:02 AM   #3
"IT"

Did i ever say there was an afterlife? And what's your proof that there isn't other than your opinion?
Old 09-13-2005, 12:10 AM   #4
"IT"

I hope in a lot of things whether i'll get to do this or that or have this or that. I'm not hoping for an afterlife. I know there's an after life. I haven't seen it, but since you don't know what it means to be a true christian, you wouldn't know what it means to feel God's presence. I believe and for those who don't believe it's hard to understand. You don't know how something works until you try it. And just picking it up and fiddling with it doesn't help. You have to come to understand and know its inner workings to really understand it. Yes the afterlife is an idea, but that idea was there before the belief that there wasn't an afterlife. Stop basing your argument on opinion and state fact. Hope is a fact. We all hope for something.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:25 AM   #5
Choobus
I Live Here

read what I wrote IT you dickwad.

If you ask what happens after death you are a priori asking about an after life (after life, geddit?)

I state quite clearly that "At the very least, we don't know now..." which means I don't know, and therefore I am not asserting anything, which means your question "And what's your proof that there isn't other than your opinion?" is even more banal and dumb than the original post.

Having said that, I am impressed by your argument that "I know there's an after life. I haven't seen it, but since you don't know what it means to be a true christian, you wouldn't know what it means to feel God's presence. I believe and for those who don't believe it's hard to understand." When I say impressed, I mean that I'm impressed that someone with an IQ likely in the 60-75 range is able to operate one of Mr Babbages calculating machines all on his own.

you have exhibited one of the worst examples of faulty understanding since wile e coyote tried to fire an acme missile at the road runner.

Stop basing your arguments on bullshit, you fucking assclown.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Old 09-13-2005, 12:49 AM   #6
Cap'n Awesome

Quote:
"IT" wrote
Did i ever say there was an afterlife? And what's your proof that there isn't other than your opinion?
IT, you have to keep in mind, you are the one claiming that an afterlife exists, so it would be up to you to provide proof for it.

As for proof that it doesn't exist, I would simply say "Where is it?" Where is heaven, or hell, or any sort of afterlife. There has to be some sort of material, or metaphyisical location for this afterlife. And of all our searching of the universe, with radio telescopes and electron microscopes, we haven't seen any of it. Do you honestly think that one day we will find secular evidence for an afterlife? Believe me, people have been looking, alot of them for a long long time, and what have they turned up? Do you believe in the possibility of a Bigfoot? No, neither do I, because there is no evidence for it, and there should be, were such a thing as Bigfoot to exist. The Idea of an afterlife is a far far grander, and more massive thing, encompassing Billions of humans. And far far more people are looking for any evidence of an afterlife then are looking for evidence of a Bigfoot. Yet still.....nothing.

Sure it's a slightly depressing thought that one day I will not exist, but I didn't exist for infinite years before I was born, and it didn't bother me too much then, So I'm not going to spend my time worrying about it.

Edit: Typo
Old 09-13-2005, 12:55 AM   #7
Psalm 1

"there are millions of people who like to dress up as gimps and have buttplugs installed sans lubricant." well this idea has not existed for thousands of years. there is more proof that the bible is real that there is that socrates was real. There are thousands of manuscripts about the bible yet only a few have been found about socrates. So if you believe that socrates existed even though there's hardly any proof of it, than why shouldn't you believe that there is a god because there is way more evidence for his existence. True you've never seen god, but you haven't seen Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, or any of those other philosophers either and you believe they existed even though there's hardly any evidence for it. And back to natural selection and evolution. What's your basis for it? There's not much proof just excuses. If the dinosaurs were destroyed by a meteor the size of Texas then where's the crater. Lets take for example some of the history in the Bible. The bible said that people groups such as the hitites or phillistines existed. many people said those two people groups never existed because there was no evidence and it was in the bible, but sometime in the 20th century remains of these civilizations were dug up and it proved the bible was right. People's ideas have changed all of the world's major religions have changes except for christianity. It's still the same as it was a thousand years ago. Nothing in the bible has changed from its origional manuscripts.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:18 AM   #8
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Psalm 1 wrote
"there are millions of people who like to dress up as gimps and have buttplugs installed sans lubricant." well this idea has not existed for thousands of years. there is more proof that the bible is real that there is that socrates was real. There are thousands of manuscripts about the bible yet only a few have been found about socrates. So if you believe that socrates existed even though there's hardly any proof of it, than why shouldn't you believe that there is a god because there is way more evidence for his existence. True you've never seen god, but you haven't seen Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, or any of those other philosophers either and you believe they existed even though there's hardly any evidence for it. And back to natural selection and evolution. What's your basis for it? There's not much proof just excuses. If the dinosaurs were destroyed by a meteor the size of Texas then where's the crater. Lets take for example some of the history in the Bible. The bible said that people groups such as the hitites or phillistines existed. many people said those two people groups never existed because there was no evidence and it was in the bible, but sometime in the 20th century remains of these civilizations were dug up and it proved the bible was right. People's ideas have changed all of the world's major religions have changes except for christianity. It's still the same as it was a thousand years ago. Nothing in the bible has changed from its origional manuscripts.
well done psalm 1, you have managed to come across as even more of an asshole than IT. Good going assclown

~ Philiboid Studge
Old 09-13-2005, 01:20 AM   #9
Mog
Obsessed Member

Psalm 1, its actually irrelevent whether Plato, Socrates, Aristotle existed anyway, because its the knowledge attributed to them that is important, not the men themselves. The same goes with certain Eastern philosophers such as the Buddha and Lao Tze. You can't claim the same for Jesus.

After this, you show your scientific ignorance. Evolution has plenty of evidence. Go to www.talkorigins.org for all the details.
A meteor the size of Texas? It doesn't have to be that big. The meteor was estimated to be just 10 kilometers wide and it hit the Yucatan here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicxulub_Crater

(I'm not even sure we'd even have a planet left if a Texas sized meteor hit us.)
(I just love how science fiction shows exaggerate the size of these meteors...)

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:22 AM   #10
TheSnake

Quote:
Psalm 1 wrote
There are thousands of manuscripts about the bible yet only a few have been found about socrates. So if you believe that socrates existed even though there's hardly any proof of it, than why shouldn't you believe that there is a god because there is way more evidence for his existence.
Honestly, would it be too much to ask, if you'd actually think about what you're writing before you post?
How many literate people do you think have lived throughout history? Do you think that it's unlikely that there was a Greek philosopher that lived about 2000 years ago, who though about things and wrote about them?
You're comparing literal evidence of some person having lived and having done something with 'evidence' of some absurd invisible ghost that created the world, but no-one is able to directly show that he exists.

Quote:
And back to natural selection and evolution. What's your basis for it? There's not much proof just excuses. If the dinosaurs were destroyed by a meteor the size of Texas then where's the crater.
There are plenty of craters. How about the one here?
What's the basis for natural selection and evolution? Ever heard of DNA? Have you ever though that animals who are better at finding food and mates often have more offsprings? What exactly do you need for proof?

Quote:
People's ideas have changed all of the world's major religions have changes except for christianity. It's still the same as it was a thousand years ago. Nothing in the bible has changed from its origional manuscripts.
So when's the last time you paid for an absolution? When's the last time you saw a witch burned on a stake? Do you read your Bible in latin?
Old 09-13-2005, 04:57 AM   #11
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
Psalm 1 wrote
People's ideas have changed all of the world's major religions have changes except for christianity. It's still the same as it was a thousand years ago. Nothing in the bible has changed from its origional manuscripts.
Hey, Psalm 1. Welcome to the monkeyhouse. Your point about Christianity's unchanging quality is actually its greatest flaw, in my view. Almost every other aspect of humanity has improved over time, yet the religion remains stuck in the Iron Age. If spirituality had grown alongside our understanding of the universe, perhaps the world would be a better place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:30 AM   #12
Kamikaze189

Quote:
Kamikaze189 wrote
When we die, we all go to the same place, and it's not heaven or hell.
Here, I will approach this logically for you to see plainly. First, the opposite of life is "unlife." I say unlife because death only encompasses after you die. We need to have one term to have both BEFORE and AFTER life. So, it's "unlife". Now I ask you, what do you remember before you were born? Nothing? What a surprise! So since we've already experienced the first part of "unlife", we can logically expect the second part to be the same.

“Whoever attacks the popular falsehoods of his time will find that a lie defends itself by telling other lies.” - Robert Ingersoll
Kamikaze189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 07:30 AM   #13
thomas

Isn't the distinction between life and death rather arbitrary for both the Christian and the atheist ? For the Christian there is no death at all, only a transistion from one state to another. For the atheist there is no life at all, only a random collection of atoms banging about together, until they disperse. What is life other than a heart ensuring oxygen gets to a brain, that produces random electrical signals ?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:40 AM   #14
TheSnake

Quote:
thomas wrote
Isn't the distinction between life and death rather arbitrary for both the Christian and the atheist ?
The distinction comes from both theists and atheists calling the usual human existence life. When we talk about living, we mean the same thing even if we understand it differently. Theists then say that this life continues after death, when areligious atheists say that it doesn't.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:49 AM   #15
oliverwxyz

Quote:
"IT" wrote
Yes the afterlife is an idea, but that idea was there before the belief that there wasn't an afterlife. Stop basing your argument on opinion and state fact. Hope is a fact. We all hope for something.
Actually I think many scholars seem to taker the view the earlier Old Testament books suggest the Jews did not originally believe in an afterlife - they hoped for God's favour here and now in the form of wives, children, cattle etc.

After all in Genesis God told Adam and Eve - 'dust you are, to dust you shall return' and specifically said he wanted to get them out of the garden to make sure they didn't eat of the tree of life and so live forever. (Gen 3:22).

At the most there are a few vague references to somewhere called Sheol under the ground, which might just be a poetic reference to the grave.
Ecclesiastes - 10. 'whatever work you find to do, do it with all your might, for there is neither achievement, nor planning. nor science, nor wisdon, in Sheol, where you are going'
I know there are clearer references to non-existence than this, but not sure where right now.

A developed belief in either punishment in Hell or rewards in Heaven was a latter development, possibly from comparison with Zoroastrian beliefs (the beliefs of the powerful Persian empire - including a good God Ahura-Mazda and an evil God who would eeventually be overthrown, Heaven and Hell and a day of judgment and messengers from God who were predicted to be be born from virgins in times to come. An offshoot of the religion in Jesus' time was the worship of the son of Ahura Mazda, the sun God Mithra).