Old 03-18-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
ninjaxlikewoah__

According to many Christians, there is a missing day in history. They apparently proved it with a computer, or something. The point is, they think they proved the Bible right or proved GOd exists. Well, my boyfriend did a little research on it, and by what he's found, it's all a myth.

The reason I bring this up is because our Trig teacher is a mad Bible Thumper and thinks he's always right, and my boyfriend decided to prove him wrong, and he did. Yay.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
ninjaxlikewoah__

According to many Christians, there is a missing day in history. They apparently proved it with a computer, or something. The point is, they think they proved the Bible right or proved GOd exists. Well, my boyfriend did a little research on it, and by what he's found, it's all a myth.

The reason I bring this up is because our Trig teacher is a mad Bible Thumper and thinks he's always right, and my boyfriend decided to prove him wrong, and he did. Yay.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
Mog
Obsessed Member

It makes you wonder how many fundies base at least part of their faith on urban legends like the one you mentioned.

Such as that missing day myth http://www.snopes.com/religion/lostday.htm

Has he mentioned the well that goes down to hell yet? http://www.snopes.com/religion/wellhell.htm

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
Mog
Obsessed Member

It makes you wonder how many fundies base at least part of their faith on urban legends like the one you mentioned.

Such as that missing day myth http://www.snopes.com/religion/lostday.htm

Has he mentioned the well that goes down to hell yet? http://www.snopes.com/religion/wellhell.htm

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ninjaxlikewoah__ wrote
There is a missing day in history.
A Trigonometry teacher believes this ridiculous bullshit?

There is no such thing as "a day." The phenomenon that we call "a day" is our own perception of the Sun during one rotation of the Earth. A missing "day," then, would require the EARTH TO STOP ROTATING, not for the Sun to stop spinning; as such, it would not even result in a "missing day," but rather a superlong day.

Besides which, there are 11 "missing days" between 4 October 1582 and 15 October 1582 when the Catholic Church switched from the Julian Calendar to the Gregorian Calendar. So clearly the phenomenon of "Missing days" is a result of psychosocial culture, not physical reality.

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:44 PM   #6
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ninjaxlikewoah__ wrote
There is a missing day in history.
A Trigonometry teacher believes this ridiculous bullshit?

There is no such thing as "a day." The phenomenon that we call "a day" is our own perception of the Sun during one rotation of the Earth. A missing "day," then, would require the EARTH TO STOP ROTATING, not for the Sun to stop spinning; as such, it would not even result in a "missing day," but rather a superlong day.

Besides which, there are 11 "missing days" between 4 October 1582 and 15 October 1582 when the Catholic Church switched from the Julian Calendar to the Gregorian Calendar. So clearly the phenomenon of "Missing days" is a result of psychosocial culture, not physical reality.

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote