Old 05-31-2007, 11:31 AM   #76
SteveG

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
Quote:
SteveG wrote
Closer to reality is something like this..

1) Christians believe that all things exist because of God.
2) Over time, science explains the mechanisms by which this existence operates.
3) Christian thinkers affirm this and find it totally unsurprising. Things like those referenced in Mog's original post are totally in keeping with what our understanding already was and has been for more than 500 years. It's interesting at the least, possibly very beneficial to humanity at best. Great to hear!
So the notion of man being created "in God's image" wasn't taken to mean his physical image before Darwin?
No, it was not. That God was not a bearded dude in the sky who we 'look' like is at least as old as Christianity (actually much older).

In truth, there are only two kinds of people; those who accept dogma and know it, and those who accept dogma and don't know it.
G.K. Chesterton
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:32 AM   #77
Irreligious
I Live Here

SteveG, what is the purpose of selling mannequin limbs at Our Lady of Fatima? Do you believe these things actually work for their intended purpose?

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:33 AM   #78
Eva
Super Moderator

why can't people understand that instead of having to do all this convoluted, irrational mental cartwheels to justify gods' existence, it makes much more sense to just say: there can't posibly be any gods?? that things are the way they are, and most of them have a rational, scientific explanation and in none of those explanations it is shown that gods of any kind had anything to do with them???
why?????? why add the extra unecessary ingredient?? the one that explains or adds nothing??

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:36 AM   #79
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
SteveG wrote
So, back to the original post and point by Mog. OK, so humans actually get pleasure from doing good. Wow, what a revelation. And water is wet.
Come now, SteveG! Strawmen don't become you! I think Mog's original point was that the research might be showing (yet again) that free will is a frigging illusion. That's not a wee bit disconcerting to Christophile theologians?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:39 AM   #80
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
Quote:
SteveG wrote
So, back to the original post and point by Mog. OK, so humans actually get pleasure from doing good. Wow, what a revelation. And water is wet.
Come now, SteveG! Strawmen don't become you! I think Mog's original point was that the research might be showing (yet again) that free will is a frigging illusion. That's not a wee bit disconcerting to Christophile theologians?
No. Whatever physiological explanations science comes up with for anything will be answered with an emphatic, "Godidit."

God wired the brain that way.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:40 AM   #81
SteveG

Quote:
Irreligious wrote
Quote:
SteveG wrote
OK, so humans actually get pleasure from doing good. Wow, what a revelation. And water is wet.
And Ol' G is responsible for it all (Well, except for the bad stuff; that's the devil and willful humans' fault for bringing things like cancer, genocide and tsunamis on themselves). Glad we cleared all that up.
hmmm... but Lily is the one who is condescending.

In truth, there are only two kinds of people; those who accept dogma and know it, and those who accept dogma and don't know it.
G.K. Chesterton
Old 05-31-2007, 11:41 AM   #82
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
SteveG wrote
Quote:
Irreligious wrote
Quote:
SteveG wrote
OK, so humans actually get pleasure from doing good. Wow, what a revelation. And water is wet.
And Ol' G is responsible for it all (Well, except for the bad stuff; that's the devil and willful humans' fault for bringing things like cancer, genocide and tsunamis on themselves). Glad we cleared all that up.
Can you actually read your own post that he is responding to?

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:42 AM   #83
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
SteveG wrote
Quote:
Irreligious wrote
Quote:
SteveG wrote
I would nevah be so presumptuous on a Christian forum; I don't visit them at all. But, if I did, I'd fully expect them to engage me similarly.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 05-31-2007, 11:44 AM   #84
Just Us Chickens

Quote:
SteveG wrote
Quote:
Just Us Chickens wrote
Steve, is that ultraman on your avitar?
:D
http://www.ultracolony.com/images/thai/mili.gif
good pick up!
Super sweet! One can never have too much Ultraman :cheers:
Old 05-31-2007, 11:47 AM   #85
Lily

Quote:
Irreligious wrote
Quote:
SteveG wrote
Quote:
Irreligious wrote
I would nevah be so presumptuous on a Christian forum; I don't visit them at all. But, if I did, I'd fully expect them to engage me similarly.
Isn't this the "But mom! All the other kids do it" excuse? It is obviously possible that no actual honest discussion is wanted here. But at least recognize that fact and own up to it.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:49 AM   #86
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Lily wrote
own up to it.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Lily,
You are the last person who should be lecturing people on owning up to things.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:50 AM   #87
Just Us Chickens

Quote:
Lily wrote
Isn't this the "But mom! All the other kids do it" excuse? It is obviously possible that no actual honest discussion is wanted here. But at least recognize that fact and own up to it.
Quite a few of the other theists seem to get plenty of actual honest discussion here and I seem to remember you taking part in a few yourself.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:51 AM   #88
SteveG

Quote:
Irreligious wrote
SteveG, what is the purpose of selling mannequin limbs at Our Lady of Fatima? Do you believe these things actually work for their intended purpose?
I have never even heard of this, so I have no idea what the purpose is. It sounds very funny, and very superstitious to me. I really can't comment more than that.

G.K. Chesterton
Old 05-31-2007, 11:55 AM   #89
Irreligious
I Live Here

I would also add the obvious: That is, in addition to deriving pleasure from doing good, humans who lack empathy or a conscience (either by birth defect or by temporary suspension of this otherwise inherent capacity), also derive pleasure from evil.

And I'll apologize to you, SteveG. I don't really mean to be antagonistic. I know you are sincere in your beliefs, as am I. Dialog between those of opposing philosophies is a good thing, and I shouldn't sully it by being sarcastic. I hate yeilding to the cynical part of my nature. Frustration sometimes leads me there. It's just that I don't imagine we'll ever have a meeting of the minds on this god thing.

--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 05-31-2007, 11:55 AM   #90
Just Us Chickens

Irr, are they like souvenirs or something? I have a mannequin head at home but I use it as a hat rack not for healing. Perhaps I’ve been underutilizing it this whole time.