Old 02-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
dstallma

Secularists: We’re Fine Without God, Thanks

Quote:
To the Editor:

Re “Building Better Secularists” (column, Feb. 3):

David Brooks says secular individuals have to build their own moral philosophies, while religious people inherit creeds that have evolved over centuries. Autonomous secular people are called upon to settle on their own individual sacred convictions.

Secularists don’t have to “build” anything; we can choose moral philosophies from what’s already well tested. If religious people think that their “faith” excuses them from evaluating the duties and taboos handed down to them, they are morally obtuse.
More Here

When in doubt, C4. Jamie Hyneman
Number of Atheists JJ has converted counter: 0
dstallma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:11 AM   #2
Davin
Obsessed Member

I agree with that a lot. It seems like religious people don't want to think about the benefits or detriments from their actions and are happy to just follow a set of rules created for them. Then they go around pretending to have superior code of ethics than people that actually think about the harm from their actions.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
JerryJohn
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Davin wrote View Post
I agree with that a lot. It seems like religious people don't want to think about the benefits or detriments from their actions and are happy to just follow a set of rules created for them. Then they go around pretending to have superior code of ethics than people that actually think about the harm from their actions.
Are you actually stating that atheists think more about the harm of their actions than religious people?

It "seems like" doesn't constitute research. Do you know a lot these such people "pretending" to have a superior moral code of ethics? Perhaps they actually do.

Food for thought.....

JJ
JerryJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:52 AM   #4
dstallma

Quote:
JerryJohn wrote View Post
Are you actually stating that atheists think more about the harm of their actions than religious people?

It "seems like" doesn't constitute research. Do you know a lot these such people "pretending" to have a superior moral code of ethics? Perhaps they actually do.

Food for thought.....

JJ
So how much research have you done on the subject JJ? Davin's comments admit to the fact he did not do the research. But the article I posted seems reasonable from his own life experience. Therefore he reserved total opinion until he could collect more facts. That is how an intelligent thinking person acts. Never accepting other viewpoints until he has a chance to check it out for himself. Never taking things on FAITH.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #5
AtomJack

Hmm, I thought the troll was only allowed in its own fecal playground. Did I miss the memo?
AtomJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #6
AtomJack

Quote:
dstallma wrote View Post
I would contend that that "inheritance" is more of an indoctrination. It is also a pretty lame set of mores, given the proscriptions (shellfish and cloven hooves come to mind) and encouragement to enslave the enemy, marry the rapist, etc. My atheism comes as a considered position of what the world is and how I interact with it in a healthy way. None of which requires Cosmic Santa looking over my shoulder and making a list of my "sins". That is purely a manipulative text. As has been stated a legion of times over the internet, if xtians actually read the babble, they'd move away in droves with revulsion. It is in no way a "good book".
AtomJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:16 AM   #7
dstallma

Quote:
AtomJack wrote View Post
Hmm, I thought the troll was only allowed in its own fecal playground. Did I miss the memo?
As long as he behaves himself.