Old 06-12-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

http://www.math.tulane.edu/~tipler/

Choobus, care to rip this douchewizard a new one? The first chapter of the book is available on his website.

Some quotes, (via Friendly Atheist)

Quote:
Contrary to what many physicists have claimed in the popular press, we have had a Theory of Everything for about thirty years. Most physicists dislike this Theory of Everything because it requires the universe to begin in a singularity. That is, they dislike it because the theory is consistent only if God exists, and most contemporary scientists are atheists. They don’t want God to exist, and if keeping God out of science requires rejecting physical laws, well, so be it.
Quote:
Christians claim that Jesus will come again, at the end of human history. Two developments in physics suggest that human history will end in about fifty years: computer experts predict that computers will exceed human intelligence within fifty years, and the de-materialization mechanism can be used to make weapons that are to atomic bombs as atomic bombs are to spitballs. Such weapons and super-human computers would make human survival unlikely, and in his discussion of the Second Coming, Jesus said he would return when human would face a “Great Tribulation” of such magnitude that we would not survive without his direct intervention. We will face such a Great Tribulation within fifty years.
And my favorite:

Quote:
Walking on water is accomplished through a particle beam and dematerialization through the multiple universe model implied by quantum theory.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
RenaissanceMan

I was fully unware that DNA tests on the Shroud of Turin revealed that Jesus was some kind of tranny.

Huh! Learn something new every day.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
a different tim
Obsessed Member

In the absence of Choobus, I'd like to mention that Appleyard, the reviewer mentioned by Friendly Atheist, is a well known fucking tool who reckons that science is mean and nasty...who reckons that science is mean and nasty... .

I have to say that it's news to me that we have a good theory of everything - that is, a good theory of quantum gravity - with or without a singularity. I thought a singularity is generally considered to be a point at which the equations in use in the standard model give nonsensical answers, rather than an actual physical pbject. So Tipler's God is, er, something that gives nonsensical answers.

No surprises there, I guess.

What Tipler then appears to be saying is that if you define "God" to equal "singularity" then use it to fill in the gaps in the standard model then, hey presto, it's a theory of everything!

But with gaps.

That are filled with God, so we don't need to worry about them. Everything, I tell you!

To be honest, if those really are his beliefs then 40% less pay than other physicists is still 100% too much.

Didn't he have some Teillhard de Chardin type theory that we were all evolving towards an inevitable omega point that would be God and go back in time and start the universe and stuff as well at some point? And then all the evolutionary biologists and other physicists pointed and laughed at him.

"You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat-catching, and will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family"
a different tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
Choobus
I Live Here

Tipler is a well known nutter. The strange thing is he is was a pretty decent physicist before he started with all the assclownery. Amazingly enough, his nono-jeebus work is published in high quality journals, but for some reason his religious themed pseudo science is not. Obviously this is a cover up because atheist scientists don't want you to know the troof.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #5
skribb

Quote:
RenaissanceMan wrote
I was fully unware that DNA tests on the Shroud of Turin revealed that Jesus was some kind of tranny.

It's funny they use the Shroud of Turin as some kind of evidence for whatever, since it's proven a fake (the face was painted with ocre back in the days).
Old 06-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
RenaissanceMan

Quote:
skribb wrote
Quote:
RenaissanceMan wrote

It's funny they use the Shroud of Turin as some kind of evidence for whatever, since it's proven a fake (the face was painted with ocre back in the days).
Well sure, the one in THIS univeerse is a fake, but I'm sure this guy's leet Quantum skillz allow him to mathematically predict a universe that uses their shroud's DNA evidence to demonstrate Jesus' tranny-ness.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:57 PM   #7
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Well, doesn't anyone realizes that schizophrenia doesn't discriminate? This man is simply affected by religious-psychosis just like that other intelligent retard Behe! One must be sorry for these mentally ill scientists. Any scientist can catch: HIV, TB, Lou Gherig ( i,e Hawkins), the Flu, Borna virus depression as well as neurological disorders that will AFFECT his/her thinking. Then, we can see retards like this spouting their delusions on all of us with NOBODY standing up to these lunatics telling them how INSANE they are!. That's what pisses me off. A brilliant man who gave humanity so much, it is believed suffered to have suffered from schizophrenia. He was a DEEP BELIEVING Christian. His name was Sir Isaac Newton.

Religious-psychosis ( IMHO, innate/dormant in the human brain which help in our evolution and no longer needed today) which makes crazy religious beliefs people to be accepted as true in otherwise educated, people is no different than the delusions believe to represent reality spouted by schizophrenics. The problem is that religious INSANE beliefs are NOT diagnosed, IMHO, for the mild form of schizophrenia they truly are. This is the gravest problem facing humanity today. If a disease is not viewed as a disease by those who could, it can wipe us out!.

Christ-psychotic Newton would also have proven Christianity via Physics!...Alas, at least he had an excuse, he lived in the 17th Century and the Egyptian civilization religious beliefs, where Christianity got his, were UNKNOWN. There is NO EXCUSE for these retards to flaunt their psychosis and neurologist stand idling doing NOTHING. Why do this educated imbeciles study neurology for? Don't they care for their profession?

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
Hertzyscowicz

Quote:
Walking on water is accomplished through a particle beam and dematerialization through the multiple universe model implied by quantum theory.
So Jesus really was a klingon after all.

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish." ~Albert Einstein
Hertzyscowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:24 PM   #9
Choobus
I Live Here

there's more evidence for klingons than jebus

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Old 06-14-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
Xans
Obsessed Member

Quote:
No, walking on water is accomplished through gathering sufficient chakra to the bottoms of your feet. Didn't this guy ever watch Naruto?
Xans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:30 PM   #11
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Actually, walking on water is accomplished through thorough ninja training.

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #12
Choobus
I Live Here

walking on water is accomplished through the miracle of ice

~ Philiboid Studge
Old 06-14-2007, 02:41 PM   #13
a different tim
Obsessed Member

On the contrary, walking on water is accomplished by making use of the miracle of surface tension.

But only if you are very small.

Maybe intermolecular forces were larger in biblical times. We already know that the speed of light was much faster, so that the light from distant galaxies could reach Earth within 6000 years, so maybe other laws of physics were different too.

"You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat-catching, and will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family"
a different tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #14
Choobus
I Live Here

Apparantly occams razor was as blunt as a choobus back in those days as well.

~ Philiboid Studge
Old 06-14-2007, 03:39 PM   #15
RenaissanceMan

Boat technology was also vastly different back then too. You could build 450 foot long boats out of nothing but wood that would survive global storm systems.

Perhaps they could also make tiny boats you could wear like shoes.