Old 01-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #31
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Davin wrote View Post
Aw, it seems that the lonely JerriedJohn has found a friend with Francis who is no longer talking to us. So cute. I wonder what the kids will look like.

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:24 PM   #32
Francis

Quote:
Davin wrote View Post
Aw, it seems that the lonely JerriedJohn has found a friend with Francis who is no longer talking to us. So cute. I wonder what the kids will look like.
I am not ignoring you. I am waiting for you to post something relevant and worthwhile. It's been quite some time since you last did so.
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:00 PM   #33
dogpet
Obsessed Member

I'm going to add one from a long long time ago, way back in the time when Francis first got old. In fact not long after the denouncement of the first shitlord.

Our sage provided us with the magnificence of the Giant Redwood, as proof of - , *god, which is in my opinion, one of the most profound
observations ever read on this forum.
Like many, I have to admit I didn't get it all at first, but here is pure mentalist genius!

RED & GREEN SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN.

Fucking obvious when you think about it.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #34
Simoon

Quote:
Sinfidel wrote View Post
Do tell us how you "sense a creator" - does it give you an erection?

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
I'd respond, but it would feel creepy communicating with you

So, would you have responded to Sinfidel if he left off the final 6 words of his question?

Isn't it convenient for you that you get to ignore questions when they contain language you don't like?

So here is the question again without the offending language, Please do tell us how you "sense the creator"?
Simoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #35
dogpet
Obsessed Member

A funny feeling in his tummy was last time.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #36
Francis

Quote:
Simoon wrote View Post
So, would you have responded to Sinfidel if he left off the final 6 words of his question?

Isn't it convenient for you that you get to ignore questions when they contain language you don't like?

So here is the question again without the offending language, Please do tell us how you "sense the creator"?
Well that fellow is just one of those weird creatures. I do not refer only to the profanity in that short sentence.

To answer your question, evidence alone has its limitations. Tell us what a tomato tastes like without using the word tomato, for example. Does beauty exist? if so, prove it. Describe the color blue without referring to something that is blue or to another color. I start with the notion that evidence is useful, but does not describe the entirety of the human experience.

That is,at least, the starting point -not the entire explanation. I have to leave for home, but will give the question some more thought and will answer further later on.
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:36 PM   #37
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
Well that fellow is just one of those weird creatures. I do not refer only to the profanity in that short sentence.

To answer your question, evidence alone has its limitations. Tell us what a tomato tastes like without using the word tomato, for example. Does beauty exist? if so, prove it. Describe the color blue without referring to something that is blue or to another color. I start with the notion that evidence is useful, but does not describe the entirety of the human experience.

That is,at least, the starting point -not the entire explanation. I have to leave for home, but will give the question some more thought and will answer further later on.
So, there were two tomatoes in a tomato patch - Tomato A and Tomato B...

This is going to be exciting!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:57 PM   #38
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Simoon wrote View Post
Please do tell us how you "sense the creator"?

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:38 PM   #39
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
Tell us what a tomato tastes like without using the word tomato, for example.

I suspect you're mixing up taste and smell. This sentence is somewhat indicative - again - of your horrendously irresponsible attitude towards knowledge. You got a small bit, made up the rest, and assumed you were correct.

Taste is the sensation produced when a substance in the mouth reacts chemically with taste receptor cells located on taste buds.
Taste, along with smell (olfaction) and trigeminal nerve stimulation (registering texture, pain, and temperature), determines flavors of food or other substances.

from wikipedia

It refers to 5 basic sensations - sweetness, sourness, saltiness, bitterness, umami

Since you specifically asked to describe taste - not realising taste is actually quite an objective thing - it is actually quite easy to do.

A tomato is actually a complex combination of tastes that stimulate the tongue in 3 key areas: sweet, sour, and savory. A good tomato will have all three flavors working in combination that explode in a medley called “balanced.”

Source

I am going to guess you meant to refer to the olfactory sensation of a tomato - it's smell when eaten - but not having enough information, and making wild assumptions about what was really going on, you assumed that was a food's 'taste'. And you were wrong.

It's starting to become a pattern with you - getting a small bit of information, and then make wide-ranging assumptions to fill in your gaps of knowledge, assuming you know what's going on without actually bothering to find out what's going on. Then, when you go to use your assumptions in an attempt to show *just how smart you are*, it all comes crashing down when proper information is revealed and the real, actual situation is explained.

Michael...you are correct
- selliedjoup

Last edited by Michael; 01-09-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #40
Michael
Obsessed Member

Your second mistake was assuming that because you didn't have enough information and knowledge to know how to describe the taste of a tomato without using the word 'tomato', that other people would also not be able to.

This reeks of arrogance.

"I have so much more knowledge than them so if I can't do it, no way anyone else can!'

I thought you said you were supposed to be 'humble'?

Michael...you are correct
- selliedjoup
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #41
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
So, there were two tomatoes in a tomato patch - Tomato A and Tomato B...

This is going to be exciting!
....one was red and one was green so they shouldn't be seen.

I get the feeling tomato B is going to be right.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #42
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

Some thoughts on beauty. I'll make it succinct even though I know hundreds of philosophers have spent reams of paper on the subject.

Beauty is a concept. It exists as a concept in the mind of some animals. Outside of being a concept in the mind of some animals it doesn't exist.

Here is a very literal analogy for Francis. The only type I suspect he understands.

God is a concept. It exists as a concept in the mind of some animals. Outside of being a concept in the mind of some animals it doesn't exist.

Before you say, "but you can't prove that God doesn't exist". Why not prove that beauty or God exists other than conceptually.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #43
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Kinich Ahau wrote View Post
....one was red and one was green so they shouldn't be seen.

I get the feeling tomato B is going to be right.
Tomato B will always be right, regardless of what Tomato A says.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
Old 01-09-2015, 08:43 PM   #44
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Kinich Ahau wrote View Post
Some thoughts on beauty. I'll make it succinct even though I know hundreds of philosophers have spent reams of paper on the subject.

Beauty is a concept. It exists as a concept in the mind of some animals. Outside of being a concept in the mind of some animals it doesn't exist.

Here is an analogy for Francis.

God is a concept. It exists as a concept in the mind of some animals. Outside of being a concept in the mind of some animals it doesn't exist.

Before you say, "but you can't prove that God doesn't exist". Why not prove that beauty or God exists other than conceptually.
Precisely! But something tells me Francis will not accept this very valid point.

I think frogs are beautiful. My wife thinks they are disgusting and ugly. We are both correct.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:45 PM   #45
ghoulslime
I Live Here

What Hand?

What hand could fashion
The fruit of a butt hole's passion?
What name could hope to excrete
The glory of a bum's fame?
A poo by any other name
Would smell as sweet.

~ Ghoulslime H Christ