Old 06-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
power2012

Are we alone?

Hey on another forum I saw some really cool things that sort of opened my mind to things I normally had not considered. For a long time, I would never, ever, have considered the idea of there being life on other planets, let alone the thought of extraterrestrials actually visiting earth

I also had no clue that it was actually considered by some scientists that life on earth could have been engineered, if you will, by an extraterrestrial force, or that mankind may have been created through genetic manipulation. For example, humans have one chromosome which was fused with another chromosome, so we have one chromosome that has 2 chromosomes worth of information implanted into it. This is very bizarre, apes have no such thing.
http://www.planetxvideo.com/

Could the so called 2012 phenomena have anything to do with extraterrestrials returning? lol i know, that seems pretty unlikely

I found this documentary quite interesting

ARE WE ALONE? - Based on the book Genesis Revisited by Zecharia Sitchin - 1992
YouTube - Zecharia Sitchin ~1/5~ Are We Alone In The Universe?
YouTube - Zecharia Sitchin ~2/5~ Are We Alone In The Universe?
YouTube - Zecharia Sitchin ~3/5~ Are We Alone In The Universe?
YouTube - Zecharia Sitchin ~4/5~ Are We Alone In The Universe?
YouTube - Zecharia Sitchin ~5/5~ Are We Alone In The Universe?

A lot of this is probably so much bullshit, but it makes you think and some of it seems like there might be something to it

Last edited by power2012; 06-20-2009 at 08:31 PM.
power2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Worst....agnostic....ever!

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Worst....agnostic....ever!
He seems to just adopt a belief or interest in whatever he was told last.

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Captain Relativity
Obsessed Member

Have you read Sitchin's book 'The 12th Planet', or any of the other books in his 'Earth Chronicles' series, by any chance? The guy spent his adult life translating Sumerian, Assyrian, Babylonian and Hittite texts. It turns out that "we are descendants of the Nefilim, a superior race from Marduk, the 12th planet!" It's all total space alien woo, but a hell of a read. I ended up reading all the Earth Chronicles, I was hooked, couldn't stop myself.

Atheism is a strictly non-prophet organization. - Carlin
And the Catholic Cow sez: "The Inquisition was a legal proceeding.
Victims had rights, trials, etc."
Captain Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
Pethol

Quote:
power2012 wrote View Post
Hey on another forum I saw some really cool things that sort of opened my mind to things I normally had not considered. For a long time, I would never, ever, have considered the idea of there being life on other planets, let alone the thought of extraterrestrials actually visiting earth

I also had no clue that it was actually considered by some scientists that life on earth could have been engineered, if you will, by an extraterrestrial force, or that mankind may have been created through genetic manipulation. For example, humans have one chromosome which was fused with another chromosome, so we have one chromosome that has 2 chromosomes worth of information implanted into it. This is very bizarre, apes have no such thing.
http://www.planetxvideo.com/

Could the so called 2012 phenomena have anything to do with extraterrestrials returning? lol i know, that seems pretty unlikely

I found this documentary quite interesting

ARE WE ALONE? - Based on the book Genesis Revisited by Zecharia Sitchin - 1992
YouTube - Zecharia Sitchin ~1/5~ Are We Alone In The Universe?
YouTube - Zecharia Sitchin ~2/5~ Are We Alone In The Universe?
YouTube - Zecharia Sitchin ~3/5~ Are We Alone In The Universe?
YouTube - Zecharia Sitchin ~4/5~ Are We Alone In The Universe?
YouTube - Zecharia Sitchin ~5/5~ Are We Alone In The Universe?

A lot of this is probably so much bullshit, but it makes you think and some of it seems like there might be something to it
I can accept the probability of life somewhere else. This probability of just "life somewhere else in any form" certainly has the highest probability. If we talk about intelligent life the probability decrease. If we talk intelligence and humanoid, even lower. And if it is intelligent, humanoid and technologically advanced - even lower. We know that life can occur pretty much anywhere, like in the sulfur puddles on Iceland.
How life would look out there, If we ever encountered it, would depend on the gravity of the planet, the biological environment; the chemicals domination the atmosphere(if any) and so on. A good example of this is our deep-sea creatures, of which we only know very little of, and we have not even discovered all the probable species that are down there. It is always all right to dream, but one need to always be critical as well. Just because something has a probability, does not make it truth. But probabilities are always interesting to investigate, but one need to always be prepared for a disappointment when coming to the end-result. The hunt is always more fun than the kill.

Yeah!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Pethol wrote View Post
I can accept the probability of life somewhere else. This probability of just "life somewhere else in any form" certainly has the highest probability. If we talk about intelligent life the probability decrease. If we talk intelligence and humanoid, even lower. And if it is intelligent, humanoid and technologically advanced - even lower. We know that life can occur pretty much anywhere, like in the sulfur puddles on Iceland.
How life would look out there, If we ever encountered it, would depend on the gravity of the planet, the biological environment; the chemicals domination the atmosphere(if any) and so on. A good example of this is our deep-sea creatures, of which we only know very little of, and we have not even discovered all the probable species that are down there. It is always all right to dream, but one need to always be critical as well. Just because something has a probability, does not make it truth. But probabilities are always interesting to investigate, but one need to always be prepared for a disappointment when coming to the end-result. The hunt is always more fun than the kill.

Yeah!
Yeah, I've always wondered if we could communicate with other intelligent life forms. And that would be assuming it would be an intelligence that would even want to communicate with us. For example, you mentioned "deep sea creatures" and I can't help but picture dolphins singing "So long and thanks for all the fish!"

But what if bacteria have a kind of collective intelligence? I suppose you could limit the definition of intelligence to the kind with which we could potentially communicate. But I don't see other species on this planet building things and threatening the ecology of the whole planet--not saying that's a good thing, but it does imply a certain kind of power/intelligence...or maybe just a perverse kind of success?
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
wohaz

Quote:
lostsheep wrote View Post
Yeah, I've always wondered if we could communicate with other intelligent life forms. And that would be assuming it would be an intelligence that would even want to communicate with us. For example, you mentioned "deep sea creatures" and I can't help but picture dolphins singing "So long and thanks for all the fish!"

But what if bacteria have a kind of collective intelligence? I suppose you could limit the definition of intelligence to the kind with which we could potentially communicate. But I don't see other species on this planet building things and threatening the ecology of the whole planet--not saying that's a good thing, but it does imply a certain kind of power/intelligence...or maybe just a perverse kind of success?
well, i for one am a little lost on this as why the question of inteligent life is asked, first we need to find any life.
i think we evalute inteligent life based on ourselves, and by that standard no other species will match us.
i personaly think that we may find another species that will have societal qualites about us, but we need to find places that have the ability to sustain life first.
all creatures have a level of inteligence, but not all animlas have a view of abstractions that humans do.
i quite strongly belive that we may find bugs on mars or somwhere long before we ever find a so called intelligent life, as to ones we can communicate with.
we can not even communicate to most of the specices on this planet and it is only fairly recently that we even began this attempt at all with the different projects that involved the lingusitc studies involving teaching chimpanzees to use ASL.
we have no way of determining the level of inteligence until we are fully capable of communicating to that species, so finding a species in space, what are the odds that we will be able to know that is even communicating, for all we know, it has some sort of other sensory system than earth cruitters do, and it is by some method we have not even imagned yet that they communicate with ease,we may hit a planet with things that resemple trees, that sway in the wind, determint that it is non inteligent and in reality it is brodcasting thoughts of religion and politics.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:14 AM   #8
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
wohaz wrote View Post
... it is non inteligent and in reality it is brodcasting thoughts of religion and politics.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
wohaz wrote View Post
well, i for one am a little lost on this as why the question of inteligent life is asked, first we need to find any life.
i think we evalute inteligent life based on ourselves, and by that standard no other species will match us.
i personaly think that we may find another species that will have societal qualites about us, but we need to find places that have the ability to sustain life first.
all creatures have a level of inteligence, but not all animlas have a view of abstractions that humans do.
i quite strongly belive that we may find bugs on mars or somwhere long before we ever find a so called intelligent life, as to ones we can communicate with.
we can not even communicate to most of the specices on this planet and it is only fairly recently that we even began this attempt at all with the different projects that involved the lingusitc studies involving teaching chimpanzees to use ASL.
we have no way of determining the level of inteligence until we are fully capable of communicating to that species, so finding a species in space, what are the odds that we will be able to know that is even communicating, for all we know, it has some sort of other sensory system than earth cruitters do, and it is by some method we have not even imagned yet that they communicate with ease,we may hit a planet with things that resemple trees, that sway in the wind, determint that it is non inteligent and in reality it is brodcasting thoughts of religion and politics.
Pretty much similar thought's to those I've had.

I think that there may be many forms of life which we do not yet recognize: it may depend on our definition or understanding of what life is. Also, this could be true of intelligence. Or, as you suggested, we may not be able to recognize intelligent life even if we should run across it. Like I said, it could exist here, but we just aren't seeing it. It may be that a key to intelligence is the ability to communicate intelligently. Or something. I'm reaching here.

However, finding a different form of life--non-human, that is--with which we can meaningfully communicate, as we communicate (albeit sometimes ineffectively) w/ each other would be very exciting. But that would mean that the aliens in this case would have to have a similar basis for language, and therefore similar conceptions of the universe...I think.
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #10
DrunkMonkey
Alcoholic Primate

Chromosome breaks and fusions happen all the time, not just between apes and humans.

About 1 in 1000 live births has a chromosome fusion (translocation).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertsonian_translocation

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." -Richard Dawkins
DrunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #11
Captain Relativity
Obsessed Member

The biggest problem vis a vis alien contact, from what I can tell, is distance. The spacetime distances between stars, let alone other galaxies, are humongous! Even at the speed of light it takes forever to get anywhere! The distances are just too huge.

Here's a good comparison. On the scale of galaxies, if the Milky Way was the size of a pea, its nearest neighbor the Andromeda Galaxy, would be only 4 inches away. But, on the scale of the stars/planets, if the Sun was the size of a pea, its nearest neighbor, Alpha and Proxima Centauri, would be about 90 miles away!

Unless the speed of light is somehow magically surmountable, like the speed of sound eventually was (by changing wing shape), we're pretty much stuck here all by ourselves pretty much forever, it seems to me. But I could be wrong.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Captain Relativity wrote View Post

Unless the speed of light is somehow magically surmountable, like the speed of sound eventually was (by changing wing shape), we're pretty much stuck here all by ourselves pretty much forever, it seems to me. But I could be wrong.
How is changing a wing shape "magical"?

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #13
Captain Relativity
Obsessed Member

It's not, Choobus. Fuck! I guess I should have said "Unless the speed of light is somehow surmountable, like the speed of sound eventually became (by changing wing shape), which would require some kind of magical / anti/post-relativity-theory technology that we don't, and can't, possess, we're pretty much stuck here all by ourselves pretty much forever, it seems to me. But I could be wrong."

Is that better?

Old 06-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #14
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Captain Relativity wrote View Post
It's not, Choobus. Fuck! I guess I should have said "Unless the speed of light is somehow surmountable, like the speed of sound eventually became (by changing wing shape), which would require some kind of magical / anti/post-relativity-theory technology that we don't, and can't, possess, we're pretty much stuck here all by ourselves pretty much forever, it seems to me. But I could be wrong."

Is that better?
I still don't agree. What if there are aliens who don't experience time in the same way we do. To them traveling at sub-luminal speeds for thousands of years might be no big deal. Inter dimensional space might allows us to move around the universe without violating relativity, and in any case if relativity can be surmounted I don't see why we "can't" possess the technology to do so.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #15
power2012

Many people all around the world claim to have experienced being abducted by Aliens, being researched and probed by them, etc. in some cases people have claimed to have been impregnated by aliens and then had their babies taken from them.

There is also the missing time phenomena where people vanish for a period of time, and then re-appear where they were last seen with no memory of what happened

Here is a documentary about it called The Real 440, about UFOs, but also the Missing time and abduction phenomena...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...Cg&q=real+4400

Here is an episode of the famous series "Unsolved Mysteries", about the Missing time phenomena...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...q=budd+hopkins

There isn't a country in the world that doesn't have the Missing Time phenomena and people who remember being abducted by aliens.

There is also the issue of alien implants. The high level surgeon Dr. Roger Lear has removed what he believes are alien implants from several people who claim to have been abducted. He has documented the surgeries and it's been reported about on stations like CNN and Fox. He has removed implants from several people. The implants were sent to one of the most prestigious labs for analysis, and they came back as being made of metals and materials not from earth, the lab thought probably meteorite material. These implants left no scar or entry mark, which is impossible with current human scientific knowledge. The implants also attached to the cell membranes once inside. Then it was discovered that these implants also emitted radio signals as well as other signals.

Here is a video with Dr. Lear...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8rbynEbpZg

Secrets from the underground...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sW8jf1qS5o
power2012 is offline   Reply With Quote