Hi, Jonesy

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #17
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
That's twice in a week in which we've cornered our dear Grammar Nazi.
I see only a gentle teacher with a pencil. Correction is good when we are wrong. It doesn't always feel good, but it's good for us.

That's just my two cents.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #18
West491
Obsessed Member

I agree. Some of you folks have made me change my mind about a couple things since I've been a member here.
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #19
divine zombie

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
If he is indeed a nazi you are lucky to have survived these encounters.

Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. That has been the philosophy of the Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers.
divine zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #20
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #21
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post

[/i]

I no

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #22
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post

lol - it's working isn't it?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #23
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
divine zombie wrote View Post
If he is indeed a nazi you are lucky to have survived these encounters.

SHE

Old 04-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #24
Heeere's Jonesy!
New Member!

Oooooh, you individuals are deliciously entertaining! I rather enjoyed all the banter about sexual asphyxiation (excellent idea)!

I believe I was a little carried away in addressing my darling's physical appearance in this matter. I must confess his looks began as his main attractive quality but I've come to realize he is also very sweet, insightful, and quite the character! The religious differences are just a slight bump in the road. I was wondering how you all would suggest I confront them. Perhaps I'm naive but I actually have faith I will be able to get him to see in a more atheistic light. Less 'god-ing' and more prodding I say!

Anyway, allow me to pose another question: have any of you ever successfully managed to get a rather religious individual to see in a more godless light? An old English teacher of mine once said that "The point of arguing is not to change an opponent's mind but rather to have the opposing party admit that you have a good idea."

Of course, a supposed mind change is a welcome bonus along the way. It just means that one was never really sure of his or her ideas in the first place.
Heeere's Jonesy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #25
divine zombie

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
SHE
Oh dear, they say the females were worse, you really are lucky.

Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. That has been the philosophy of the Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers.
divine zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #26
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Heeere's Jonesy! wrote View Post
Oooooh, you individuals are deliciously entertaining! I rather enjoyed all the banter about sexual asphyxiation (excellent idea)!

I believe I was a little carried away in addressing my darling's physical appearance in this matter. I must confess his looks began as his main attractive quality but I've come to realize he is also very sweet, insightful, and quite the character! The religious differences are just a slight bump in the road. I was wondering how you all would suggest I confront them. Perhaps I'm naive but I actually have faith I will be able to get him to see in a more atheistic light. Less 'god-ing' and more prodding I say!

Anyway, allow me to pose another question: have any of you ever successfully managed to get a rather religious individual to see in a more godless light? An old English teacher of mine once said that "The point of arguing is not to change an opponent's mind but rather to have the opposing party admit that you have a good idea."

Of course, a supposed mind change is a welcome bonus along the way. It just means that one was never really sure of his or her ideas in the first place.
I have debated numerous people, and all were quite firmly brainwashed into their ideas. While I'm aware that once in a while, something dramatic happens to one of them, and they embrace atheism, it is RARE. Faith allows the theist to object to even the most meticulous scientific argument, somehow inserting a lead shield between them and anything that might fling Kryptonite onto their god. Yes, I capitalized Kryptonite and not god. There's a lot of Kryptonite out there, though, and one of these days it will reach critical mass, and I'd hate to see how their faith crumbles then. It's either that or they cross the line into certifiable.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #27
Heeere's Jonesy!
New Member!

Hmmm, I loved the way you phrased your reply, Stargazer. There really is a lead shield dividing the brainwashed dribble from the logical reasoning, is there not? What a striking image. In French, we refer to being closed-minded as having "des idées arrêtées," which idiomatically translates into having a stopped mind. The glorious fresh ideas enter the ear only to be confronted with this hideous shield. What an unfortunate fate to befall so many who could be otherwise liberated of their hideous brainwash.

I hold out hope that this is not the case for my current beloved, yet you have given me good reason to doubt I will ever have him fully stripped of his theistic chains.....
Heeere's Jonesy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #28
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Heeere's Jonesy! wrote View Post
Hmmm, I loved the way you phrased your reply, Stargazer. There really is a lead shield dividing the brainwashed dribble from the logical reasoning, is there not? What a striking image. In French, we refer to being closed-minded as having "des idées arrêtées," which idiomatically translates into having a stopped mind. The glorious fresh ideas enter the ear only to be confronted with this hideous shield. What an unfortunate fate to befall so many who could be otherwise liberated of their hideous brainwash.

I hold out hope that this is not the case for my current beloved, yet you have given me good reason to doubt I will ever have him fully stripped of his theistic chains.....
Well, lets hope the Kryptonite works sooner rather than later.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB

Last edited by Stargazer; 04-19-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 04-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #29
Michael
Obsessed Member

The only people I've really debated with were a couple of workmates, and one of them turned into an absolute screaming match (mostly because that's the only way to deal with him - you either cut him off or he will cut you off. He loves the sound of his own voice. Eventually after cutting eachother off constantly the vocal levels reach a certain point where you're just yelling at each other).

The other was against someone who had never actually thought about his beliefs beyond "I don't understand how the world works therefore god did it", which was obviously very easy for me to trounce. I'm pretty sure I changed his worldview, just not enough to actually change his mind about religion. Maybe enough to make him go out and learn a little about these things.

Either way, it's weird how people put these walls of stupidity up.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:30 AM   #30
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Michael wrote View Post
The only people I've really debated with were a couple of workmates, and one of them turned into an absolute screaming match (mostly because that's the only way to deal with him - you either cut him off or he will cut you off. He loves the sound of his own voice. Eventually after cutting eachother off constantly the vocal levels reach a certain point where you're just yelling at each other).

The other was against someone who had never actually thought about his beliefs beyond "I don't understand how the world works therefore god did it", which was obviously very easy for me to trounce. I'm pretty sure I changed his worldview, just not enough to actually change his mind about religion. Maybe enough to make him go out and learn a little about these things.

Either way, it's weird how people put these walls of stupidity up.
Weird and perhaps a little scary considering the vehemence involved. At least it is a good thing to be aware of.