Old 02-12-2007, 05:49 AM   #76
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Xans wrote
Quote:
Victus wrote
Then why didn't you write "cosmological evolutionists"?
Because I didn't think I was speaking to morons? However, for your sake I'll be more specific next time.
Quote:
You now full well that evolution refers to the biological sciences, and not cosmology. Cut the bullshit kid, it ain't fooling anyone.
It can refer to either, but now I know atheists are a bunch of morons. If you think my simple use of the word "evolution" is confusing, please never read poetry.
I certainly will not read poetry for technical content! That would require a dunce on top of a moron.
We are talking science and reality here. Poetry, allegory, metaphor, ambiguity, parable and such ways of not conveying what is actually meant are neither appropriate nor welcome here because they all promote misunderstanding.
If you persist in using generally understood words, like "evolution", in vague, uncommon and over-generalized ways, I will adjust to your "illness" (any deviation from correctness) and I will "demolish" (achieving any advantage at all over an opponent) you in a "storm" (some kind of heavy inundation) of "facts" (facts).

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:25 AM   #77
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

So, if cosmologists are now "evolutionists," does that mean that Christers are now Muslims?

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:43 AM   #78
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:47 AM   #79
Kate

Old 02-12-2007, 08:02 AM   #80
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Xans wrote
It can refer to either, but now I know atheists are a bunch of morons. If you think my simple use of the word "evolution" is confusing, please never read poetry.
It is not your "use" of the word, but your misuse of the word.

Understand this now, and do not make the same mistake again. When you say "evolution" in scientific company, you are understood to mean "the evolutionary model" which applies to the diversity of organic life. When you talk about comets and asteroids and the age of the universe, you are understood to mean "cosmology." The two are not interchangeable; nowhere in the scientific community is "evolution" taken to apply to "cosmology." Your generic application of the term "evolution" only exposes your misunderstanding of the theory, and your willful attempt to cause confusion and build strawmen.

You insult us for attempting to use clear and accurate language. You do not understand evolution; we will help you to understand evolution if you want to learn. If you want to insult people, however, we are not the crowd at whom you need to aim your frustration; try pointing some of that anger at the Christian community that has lied to you for so long and turned you away from the pursuit of true knowledge through science.

Finally. Novels evolve; language evolves; Christianity evolves. Are authors, philologists, and Christians, then, "evolutionists"?

Old 02-12-2007, 08:19 AM   #81
Gathercole

Quote:
Xans wrote
Creationists take issue with the theory species evolve via the gaining of genetic information which happens via random mutation and natural selection.
EvilMageRa's example was excellent, but I'd like to take this on more fully.

What is the ultimate limit on the amount of information the genome can contain? Ultimately it must be the size of the genome, just as the ultimate limit on the information in a hard disk is the size of the disk. If the genome can become longer, it has the potential to contain more information. So what, exactly do you mean when you say the genome can't "gain" information?

It sounds like you agree that mutations can happen, just that they can't contribute to "gaining of genetic information". Consider human babies born with deformed, webbed fingers. Would you say these babies have gained or lost genetic information?

Now consider if the world were suddenly flooded. What looked before like a "loss" is now a huge gain. That's because there is no absolute scale for the "goodness" of genetic information; it all depends on being fit for the environment.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:25 AM   #82
Kate

Quote:
Eva wrote
come on, choobs.......can't you be nice to our chew toys yec's for a little while and have some fun?
So, Eva, do you have a good recipe for making a Yellow-Eared Conure tasty? They are endangered, I believe, so while it may take a while for me to procure one, I look forward to this treat with a daiquiri made with real honest to goodness PR rum :D

Old 02-12-2007, 08:33 AM   #83
Eva
Super Moderator

first, you have to pluck all the feathers......oh wait, no...

just frappe in a blender with lots of ice. fresh lime helps mask the flavor of shit.

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #84
bryantee

http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/

Scroll down to Twenty Questions for Evolutionists. They're appallingly easy to answer. 90% of them can be answered simply by reiterating the evolutionary process. If this is how creationists seriously view evolution then we are up against an extremely ignorant force.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #85
baconeatingatheistjew

Quote:
bryantee wrote

Scroll down to Twenty Questions for Evolutionists. They're appallingly easy to answer. 90% of them can be answered simply by reiterating the evolutionary process. If this is how creationists seriously view evolution then we are up against an extremely ignorant force.
Keep this handy when dealing with YECs:

http://www.angelfire.com/ok5/pearly/...evolution.html
Old 02-12-2007, 09:24 PM   #86
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
bryantee wrote

You know, every time some fresh little YEC strolls in here, I entertain the delusion that maybe, just maybe, this will be the one that challenges my worldview. This will be the one to shake the foundations of my understanding of the universe. This will be the one bearing new and verified evidence that makes me seriously question all of the things I think I know.

And every time, I see the wide-eyed little YEC clinging to the same debunked nonsense like a ratty security blanket that you keep throwing out, because it's so far past its useful period. Clinging to it like the five-year-old who just keeps on pulling it out of the trashcan for that little bit of comfort, even though it now smells like week-old milk and raw chicken.

And I sigh, because I know that this is the best we'll ever get. This drooling demonstration of conscientious stupidity; this brazen display of willful ignorance. It's like, as each one walks out the door, he passes the same ridiculous arguments to the next one walking in.

Ah well; what can I expect from a bunch of punch-drunk G`Zus junkies.