Old 09-13-2006, 07:38 PM   #16
Baphomet

Quote:
schemanista wrote
Quote:
Baphomet wrote
What the hell?

I wonder.... if Neanderthals were still alive today, or we found some alive and hiding somewhere... would christians say that they had souls?
What about PYGMIES + DWARVES.

Sorry. Pharyngula inside joke.
No seriously, what if there was another intelligent race somewhere that could use reason and tools and even communicate intelligently with us. They're not "human" though, so what would christians think about that? Souls or not?
Old 09-13-2006, 08:22 PM   #17
Eauh

Quote:
Baphomet wrote
Quote:
schemanista wrote
Quote:
Baphomet wrote
What the hell?

I wonder.... if Neanderthals were still alive today, or we found some alive and hiding somewhere... would christians say that they had souls?

No seriously, what if there was another intelligent race somewhere that could use reason and tools and even communicate intelligently with us. They're not "human" though, so what would christians think about that? Souls or not?
Me, as a Christian, cannot say one way or the other. Because I believe that all things were created by God, who am I to say if they have soul? Hell, who am I to say that life does not exist anywhere else in the universe and not have a soul non the less an undiscovered living species on earth. (Don’t try tricking me into saying that any other species that we find has a soul. I am only talking about what science called the first men) that is not the basis of my / our faith.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:26 PM   #18
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Eauh wrote
Me, as a Christian, cannot say one way or the other.
As an idiot you could simply make up some bullshit though.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:40 PM   #19
Eauh

Quote:
Choobus wrote
Quote:
Eauh wrote
How can some one who asks about what christians think discount what they think?
Old 09-13-2006, 08:53 PM   #20
Baphomet

Quote:
Eauh wrote
Quote:
Baphomet wrote
Quote:
schemanista wrote

Me, as a Christian, cannot say one way or the other. Because I believe that all things were created by God, who am I to say if they have soul? Hell, who am I to say that life does not exist anywhere else in the universe and not have a soul non the less an undiscovered living species on earth. (Don’t try tricking me into saying that any other species that we find has a soul. I am only talking about what science called the first men) that is not the basis of my / our faith.
Then who are you, a mere christian, to say that a fetus or a clump of cells has a soul? What about a retraded kid? What if we mix the DNA of a dog and a human? Does it have a half soul?

If you can't say what a soul is and if there is no way to determine who or what has a soul, I have no reason to believe that such a thing exists.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #21
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Eauh wrote
Just another case of science is always changing what it says...
Did you know about the latest date of neanderthals before this thread? Do you now? Oh no, you've changed what you know!

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:56 PM   #22
Baphomet

Quote:
Eauh wrote:

Thus proving it's adaptability and thus superiority over something static and unchanging, such as the bible. Oh wait, they changed that enough as it is. At least science gives us things like medicine. The pages of the bible don't even make decent rolling paper.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:57 PM   #23
brad89

Eauh, of course science changes things that it says! When we find new evidence, we reinterpret the old and hypothesize how the it all fits together. The hypothesis that survives is the one that passes the criticism. It's called thinking empirically. Why would you be surprised at all that science is able to change?
Old 09-13-2006, 09:52 PM   #24
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
Eauh wrote
Quote:
Baphomet wrote
Quote:
schemanista wrote

First, define soul. I disagree with your assumption that a soul is a real, existent thing.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:00 PM   #25
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Eauh wrote
Topic: Neanderthals lived more recently than thought

that's right cumchugger, science does change as we learn more. That seems much better than an immutable story made up by goat herders centuries ago.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Old 09-13-2006, 10:01 PM   #26
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Choobus wrote
Quote:
Eauh wrote
Topic: Neanderthals lived more recently than thought

that's right cumchugger, science does change as we learn more. That seems much better than an immutable story made up by goat herders centuries ago.
Made up = Recylced from myths existing before them
Centuries = Millenia

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:01 PM   #27
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Eauh wrote
Quote:
Choobus wrote
Quote:
Eauh wrote
How can some one who asks about what christians think discount what they think?
like this: Christians are idiots and what they think is as important as a fart in a storm

~ Philiboid Studge
Old 09-13-2006, 10:13 PM   #28
schemanista

Quote:
Baphomet wrote
I suspect that there would be a theological argument or two arising from this hypothetical situation. The really interesting thing is how both sides of the divide (theological vs. metaphysical naturalism) would probably jump at the chance to assert that this new-found sentience proved each side right all along.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:29 PM   #29
Baphomet

Quote:
schemanista wrote
Quote:
Baphomet wrote
I suspect that there would be a theological argument or two arising from this hypothetical situation. The really interesting thing is how both sides of the divide (theological vs. metaphysical naturalism) would probably jump at the chance to assert that this new-found sentience proved each side right all along.
Or maybe the Neanderthals would just throw poo at us and call it "god"
Old 09-13-2006, 10:46 PM   #30
GodlessHeathen
Obsessed Member

Quote:
brad89 wrote
Why would you be surprised at all that science is able to change?
:lol::lol:
Because he's a religiot, of course! He doesn't understand the concept of "integrating new information."

Quote:
Eauh wrote
Look at it this way: Susie from your church seems like a nice, Christian young lady. She attends church every Sunday, participates in bible study, dresses modestly, etc. From such evidence, you may believe that Susie is a chaste young woman, possibly even a virgin (since, say, she's never been married).

Now, one day, you walk into the church office to find Susie on all fours, your pastor fucking her balls-deep from behind, with the youth director's cock in her mouth. And she is definitely enjoying it.

Given this new information, what do you do? Either a) your opinion of Susie changes, or b) you're an imbecile.

That's kind of the way science works.

Christian: One who believes that the New Testament is a divinely inspired book admirably suited to the spiritual needs of his neighbor. - Ambrose Bierce
GodlessHeathen is offline   Reply With Quote