Old 05-26-2006, 01:14 PM   #31
Jahrta

Yeah - something tells me that your "answers in genesis" site is incredibly biased, and not scientific in the slightest. The only scientists or archaeologists who would lend their services to compose those articles are the ones that all the real scientists laugh at - to their face.

Show me, if you will, a corroborating article from an UNBIASED site which shows this groundbreaking evidence of the parting of the red sea. You would think that if something like this were independently verifiable, we'd have heard about it from a reputable source by now.

And just so we're clear, showing me a picture of a wagon wheel at the bottom of the red sea (which you haven't by the way - just some asshole's assertion that such a discovery had been found) does not prove that some mystical energy parted the sea. If anything, it would only truly prove that someone, at some point in time (because you probably don't trust the actual science behind radiocarbon 14 dating, do you?) placed that wheel there, or had a chariot accident.

I still don't think you deserve anything but crushing reality from any of us, even though some have gone soft on you simply because you're an impressionable fuckwit child. I was 14 once - I was never that stupid. We're not doing you any favors by pulling punches - you may not know it now, but you NEED us to dash your unfounded and often puerile beliefs upon the jagged rocks of reason at every turn. i think you're here more as a desperate cry for help than as a chance to 'witness' - whatever the fuck that means anyway.

Think of it as Skull Island for theistic beliefs...Even if you survive the Choobusaurus there is still that ravine full of giant atheistropods waiting to make a meal of you.
"I won't think in your church if you promise not to pray in my school"
Jahrta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:21 PM   #32
word_sword

Quote:
Tenspace wrote
Quote:
word_sword wrote
http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v22/i1/creation.asp

Naturalism, logic and reality.

This man certainly got the message. If there is no God, ultimately, philosophically, how can one talk about reality? How can one even rationally believe that there is such a thing as truth, let alone decide what it is?
word, please give us your thoughts. We can read that for ourselves, and some of us have. What do you think? Be critical, not just with what we say, but what everyone says.
Honestly, my thoughts are I absolutely have no idea who to believe?

My dad took me shopping and bought me clothes and now I feel guilty for wondering if he is telling the truth.

I come across all this stuff saying there is proof of God and the sound so right and then some of you seem so right and my parents seem so right. I feel like my head will explode.

I once told my dad I was not sure about God being real and He told me that I would bring ruin upon our house for the thought.

i don't know what to do
Old 05-26-2006, 01:25 PM   #33
postbicameral

Quote:
word_sword wrote
I once told my dad I was not sure about God being real and He told me that I would bring ruin upon our house for the thought.
Whoa. What you need to do is research. You also need to tell your dad whatever he needs to hear to keep him from flipping out on you. And when you're 18, you need to go to college. And when you're21 you need to go look around the world on your own, and see the good and the bad first hand.

You don't need to have an answer today.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:29 PM   #34
Eva
Super Moderator

he made you feel guilty for having doubt in the existence of your god....

well, that sucks!!

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #35
Jahrta

Quote:
word_sword wrote
I come across all this stuff saying there is proof of God and the sound so right and then some of you seem so right and my parents seem so right. I feel like my head will explode.

i don't know what to do
If you are truly being sincere about what you're saying here, then I take back half the bad things I said about you...it would appear as if you're actually STARTING to think for yourself - don't ever stop. And did you ask your dad why a god of love would "bring ruin upon your house" because you're demonstrating a capacity for reasoned inquiry? Actually, like Los Pepes already said, you're probably better off not bringing this up with your dad again. He might cut off your arms because he thought god told him to, or drown you or something. Home-schooling religious parents do these things from time to time.

Maybe there is some hope for you after all, but only you can decide when to grow up and do the proverbial math for yourself.

I offer you a modicum of respect. Don't wipe your posterior with it.

Think of it as Skull Island for theistic beliefs...Even if you survive the Choobusaurus there is still that ravine full of giant atheistropods waiting to make a meal of you.
"I won't think in your church if you promise not to pray in my school"
Jahrta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #36
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
word_sword wrote
Quote:
Tenspace wrote
Quote:
word_sword wrote
http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v22/i1/creation.asp

Naturalism, logic and reality.

This man certainly got the message. If there is no God, ultimately, philosophically, how can one talk about reality? How can one even rationally believe that there is such a thing as truth, let alone decide what it is?
word, please give us your thoughts. We can read that for ourselves, and some of us have. What do you think? Be critical, not just with what we say, but what everyone says.
Honestly, my thoughts are I absolutely have no idea who to believe?

My dad took me shopping and bought me clothes and now I feel guilty for wondering if he is telling the truth.

i don't know what to do
First, don't debate your dad about God. It won't work. Save that moment for later in your life, when you're a little older and alot wiser. But you have so many years ahead of you, and there is more knowledge out there than any one person could ever hope to learn.

Think about what makes you happy. What, as they say, blows your dress up. That is what you can achieve. For me, I was a computer geek... probably one of the first. In the '70s I got my first computer, and became obsessed with it. I always strove to be the best I could on a computer. It lead me to a career where I did some pretty cool things in life, like work for AOL and build one of the largest retail computer networks. Don't, please don't ever let your parents stifle your freedom to be creative.

And don't let religion stand in your way, either. Be obedient to your parents, not by discipline, but by respect. Do you know how hard it is to earn a living and support a family? Your dad should be respected for that. But though he will always be your father, he won't always be your provider. In less time than you think, you will be old enough to go to college and chase your dreams. Learn to separate the two: when he disciplines or scorns you, is it coming from your father or the angry guardian?

Don't bring any anti-religious materials home, and don't print out anything from this website, either. If they found something like that, it's a sure trip to Basic Training Bible Camp in Mosquito Forest, Mississippi. And, most importantly, keep asking questions and making mistakes. It's okay to make mistakes. That's how you learn.

I don't want to keep rambling, but if you want to pick up a general science book at the library or bookstore, may I recommend "Genome: The Autobiography of a Species in 23 Chapters", by Matt Ridley. It explains the one thing that forms the building blocks for all life: DNA. And it's from the perspective of the 23 pairs of chromosomes that make up the human genome. It isn't too techical, and it is one of the best introductions to human genetics available. Here's an excerpt from the amazon.com review:

His inviting prose proposes "to tell the story of the human genome... chromosome by chromosome, by picking a gene from each." That story begins with the basis of life on earth, the DNA-to-RNA-to-protein process (chapter one, "Life," and also chromosome one); the evolution of Homo sapiens (chromosome two, which emerged in early hominids when two ape chromosomes fused); and the discovery of genetic inheritance (which came about in part thanks to the odd ailment called alkaptonuria, carried on chromosome three). Some facts about your life depend entirely on a single gene--for example, whether you'll get the dreadful degenerative disease Huntington's chorea, and if so, at what age (chromosome four, hence chapter four: "Fate"). But most facts about you are products of pleiotropy, "multiple effects of multiple genes," plus the harder-to-study influences of culture and environment. (One asthma-related gene--but only one--hangs out on chromosome five.)

Good luck, word_sword with your doubts. Don't be afraid of them. If you have knowledge, you can easily stare them down.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:02 PM   #37
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
word_sword wrote
http://www.allabouttruth.org/is-the-bible-true-c-2.htm

Is the Bible True?
Nope. Sums that up pretty succinctly.

Oh, there's more oral diarrhea...

Quote:
some godidiot at allabouttruth.org wrote
Not only does the Bible miraculously foretell the future...
Bold-faced lie. The bible has never been used to foretell anything. Only in retrospect do devoutly faithful liars "interpret" text that "predicted" an event which has already taken place.

Quote:
...it also recounts the distant past with great accuracy.
Bold-faced lie. It claims that the Earth was created ex nihilo 6,000 years ago; in reality, the Earth coalesced into a planet about 4.404 billion years ago.

Quote:
"It may be stated categorically that no archaeological discovery has ever controverted a biblical reference." (McDowell, Evidence that Demands a Verdict, Here's Life Publishers Inc., 1979, p. 65.)
Misrepresentation of the truth. No archaeological discovery has even supported any of the supernatural biblical references. The above quote refers to proving a negative, which is not the responsibility of science.

Quote:
God miraculously parted the Red Sea allowing Israel to pass through over a land bridge.
This assertion is utterly unsubstantiated by any kind of evidence. It is a fable.

Quote:
...chariot wheels embedded in coral along the land bridge at the bottom of the Red Sea.
How many chariot wheels? Seven, eight; a dozen? Two dozen?

There are dozens of perfectly natural explanations for the appearance of chariot wheels embedded in the bed of a sea. First among them: probably discarded after the chariots broke-down.

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:10 PM   #38
myst7426

The History Channel has a special on about the Israelites being a large mercenary force hired to fight for Egypt. Howeve, the Pharoah did not trust a large army chillin' in his land (read Machiavelli about mercenary armies) so he had do public projects instead of training and fighting to keep them busy. The Israelites got tired and decided to leave. On their way out, they pillages Egyptian towns so Pharoah sent his chariots after him. The Israelites crossed the reed see which was muddy during low tide. The Israelites could cross because they were light infantry and no chariots which get stuck in the mud. At Sinai, the Israelites trained and prefected an unstoppable fighting force which they used to conquer Canaan. Moses was a militray general.

Anyways, the special used Bible quotes to back up this theory.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:11 PM   #39
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
word_sword wrote
http://www.allabouttruth.org/is-the-bible-true-c-2.htm

Is the Bible True? - Archaeology
Is the Bible true? Not only does the Bible miraculously foretell the future, it also recounts the distant past with great accuracy. As such, archaeology has been a source of great vindication for the Bible. In Josh McDowell's classic treatise on the historical evidences supporting the Bible's veracity, renowned archaeologist Nelson Glueck is quoted as saying, "It may be stated categorically that no archaeological discovery has ever controverted a biblical reference." (McDowell, Evidence that Demands a Verdict, Here's Life Publishers Inc., 1979, p. 65.)

Consider, for example, the biblical account of Israel's exodus from Egypt. Pharaoh, Egypt's monarch, chased the Israelites with an army of chariots, cornering Israel at the Gulf of Aqaba (the Red Sea). God miraculously parted the Red Sea allowing Israel to pass through over a land bridge. The Egyptians followed in close pursuit, but after the last Israelite made it across, God released the parted water and drowned the Egyptian army. Archaeologists have discovered a number of evidences vindicating the Bible's exodus account, including chariot wheels embedded in coral along the land bridge at the bottom of the Red Sea. (Exodus Revealed, video documentary by Discovery Media Productions.)
Did you bump your head? Please study the ORIGIN of the Babble and the Talmud. They are NOT historical texts at all!!....they are simply compilations of ancient myths. Any true archaeologist or historian ( those NOT infected with christ-psychosis) can tell you that!...after all, we CREATE MYTHS with our brains. That's HOW the ancients explained the natural world which they did NOT understand...:)

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #40
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:19 PM   #41
Rat Bastard

Everybody has gone soft on Pork_Dork, it seems. My question is, why do we believe that it is 14 any more than anyone believes I am 53, beyond the tenor of its posts being absurd, and mine sounding like an opinionated 53-year old guy? For all anybody knows, I could be Lurker posting from a different computer daisy-chained somehow through the internet. I say the little pork sausage should get the barbequeing it is asking for. And Lurker should lay next to it on the grill. Hell, I could write some cute little baby-cakes posts if I wanted to. :rolleyes: Not that I would stoop to such stupidity, even as a joke. :cool:
Old 05-26-2006, 02:28 PM   #42
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
word_sword wrote
He's wrong. Absolutely, 100% wrong. Don't ever tell him so, but know it in your own mind, and remember it.

If you let yourself look, you will begin to see that almost all of the things that humans try to blame on a god's wrath are linked to human behavior (excluding natural disasters, and the like). If bad things happen, there is almost always a reason; if there is no definitive reason that can be seen, then it's just plain old bad luck sometimes.

But there's nothing out there pulling the strings kid.

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:29 PM   #43
Metman07

Quote:
Crackerus Dadderus wrote
Drunk Monkey's got it right - who can stand up to 67 mph sustained winds even if they died down before they had to cross? With 4 hours of sustained winds they would've had to have been in the midst of it at some point.

I guess this is just proof of Jews physical superiority.
Jews' physical superiority!? Don't you know that Jews just aren't meant for manual labor? :P
Old 05-26-2006, 03:10 PM   #44
Tenspace
I Live Here

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Old 05-26-2006, 03:12 PM   #45
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
logarithm wrote
Everybody has gone soft on Pork_Dork, it seems. My question is, why do we believe that it is 14 any more than anyone believes I am 53, beyond the tenor of its posts being absurd, and mine sounding like an opinionated 53-year old guy? For all anybody knows, I could be Lurker posting from a different computer daisy-chained somehow through the internet. I say the little pork sausage should get the barbequeing it is asking for. And Lurker should lay next to it on the grill. Hell, I could write some cute little baby-cakes posts if I wanted to. :rolleyes: Not that I would stoop to such stupidity, even as a joke. :cool:
1) writing ability correlated with age-levl
2) lurker couldn't daisy-chain daisies.
3) a reliable gut feeling based on doing this for twenty plus years.