Old 09-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #31
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Says the one that invokes arguments from popularity like they're going out of style, and likes to point out how many Christians there are as some sort of evidentiary statement.
YEs but if they were going out style they'd be decreasing in popularity.

The simile should read, "Says the one who invokes arguments from popularity like a hooker chugs cum during Fleet Week."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #32
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
As a child, your observation was understandable and appropriate. When you became a man, it was time to put away childish things. Why didn't you?
Says the woman who still believes in an undefineable, magic, attribute-less "man" who watches over her.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #33
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

I hope this doesn't spread the diarrheal disease beyond his quarantined ward, but this looked like a weiner:

Quote:
ricardocoav wrote View Post
But the God I know is far beyond any comprehension ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 09-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #34
nkb

On the basis of 60,000 - 75,000 protestors in DC, she uncorks this one:
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Gotta flash for you, genius. The majority rules in this country. Even if we are all morons and you and the dreck here the only geniuses, you are out of luck. We rule.
Apparently Lily did not get the memo that there is a Democratic president and Congress, and she and her right-wing nutbag Chicken Littles rule absolutely nothing.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #35
nkb

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Moreover, these offices are ACORN and they are corrupt from the top down. ACORN's board is corrupt. This isn't a matter of a few bad apples. The entire organization is a criminal enterprise.
Says the woman who defends the Roman Catholic Church in the systematic coverup of rampant child sexual abuse, perpetrated by its employees, with the corruption going all the way to the current CEO (aka the Pope).

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-18-2009, 07:14 AM   #36
nkb

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
It is funny how you can twist the truth so thoroughly that it supports what ever mad, perverted, or silly claim you want to make.
Pretty self-explanatory.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #37
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

I like the one about Jesus being human, but I don't know how to quote. I agree with that anyway.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #38
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Lily wrote
Opinions unsupported by facts aren't worth a damn.
Given the direction of past discussions, I found this statement rather comedic.

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #39
Choobus
I Live Here

The comedy is enhanced when one remembers that this came from a christian.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #40
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Resident Shit-stirrer wrote
You really have a problem with reality, don't you?
I don't believe I just read that!

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:04 PM   #41
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Lily wrote
Who on earth says you can't argue with my assertions? But what good is it to respond to them with uninformed, emotional denials? I've got facts. All you've got so far is hysterical huffing and puffing.
More classics.

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #42
nkb

In a statement to explain why they were discontinuing Japanese faith healing in their hospitals:
Quote:
Catholic Church wrote
...a Catholic who puts his or her trust in reiki would be operating in the realm of superstition...

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #43
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
the same douche wrote
“Superstition corrupts one’s worship of God by turning one’s religious feeling and practice in a false direction.’’
~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 09-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #44
Choobus
I Live Here

It's a fair point. The proper direction for religious feeling is comedy.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #45
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

*Lilly says:
"Huh? I most emphatically do not agree that the Bible requires individual interpretation!!! The scriptures have never been a matter for individual interpretation. The Old Testament wasn't and the New Testament states clearly that no scripture is a matter of individual interpretation."

[Say someone who thinks only herself and a few others interpret the bible correctly]

"There isn't a word in the Bible that I would change or leave out. Your insistence on reading it ignorantly is your shame."

[Shame on anyone who interprets it differently from one of the ones who interprets it correctly]

Then she says:

"Even the first generation couldn't read it exactly as written…[blah blah]…If he and they who occupied the same culture and spoke the same language had differences of opinion over how to interpret the demands of Christianity, just exactly how do people 2000 years later do so without help? Even Peter writes that some of what Paul writes is hard to understand. And they were in contact!
.....You simply cannot understand the Bible as a complex set of ancient books that require a real understanding of the world, language and culture they were written in. Apparently you resent that an educated person can understand them far better than you."

[Of course, this means that the buybull must be interpreted correctly, for most of us, by someone as entelegent and ejumacated as Lilly]

And she says:

"Since the Church predates the Bible by about 100 years, and predates the printing press and widespread literacy by many centuries, it seems self-evident to me, that teaching authority belongs to the Church, not the individual."

[So…THE catlick CHURCH interprets, not individuals…in the church...otherwise we ordinary mortals might “misinterpret” it.]

And finally:

"It does convey what God wanted it to convey." [If you interpret it correctly, of course.] "But it was conveyed through humans using human language, with the mindset and cultural understanding of the time in which they were writing. How not?" [Which requires correct interpretation…]

"The only other option is to have the books of the Bible dictated by God." [Now there’s an idea!]

Thanks again Lilly for making it easy by contradicting yourself w/in the same post. I think the last quote is the best, and could stand on it's own.
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote