Old 08-31-2010, 06:11 PM   #16
West491
Obsessed Member

Quote:
"Suffer the calculators to come unto me. This day they will sit at my right hand side and dine on pi for eternity." ~Maggie O'Toole, Leprechaun demigoddess
Yeah I pretty much nailed it. And I'd never heard of that quote before.
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:15 PM   #17
West491
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Something that makes death a little more palatable is that you won't miss anything, you won't regret anything, you will not feel guilty about anything and you will not be disappointed about anything. That knowledge shows us that it is an unnecessary projection to imagine missing ice cream in the future rather than having some right now while you can enjoy it..
Agreed. For some strange reason you intrigue me Sternwallow.

Quote:
No, only that Allah is depicted as nothing. Being invisible, Allah (MNQB) completely fills an empty frame.
Okay, gotcha.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:18 PM   #18
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
Yeah I pretty much nailed it. And I'd never heard of that quote before.
It's a rather obscure passage from the Old Leprechaun Testament.

BTW, it is rumored that Maggie O'Toole's slide rule is simply divine.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:51 PM   #19
West491
Obsessed Member

You're talking over my head.

<clicks over to next window and does a Google search for "Old Leprechaun Testament" and "Maggie O'Toole">

Edit: What is this a joke that went over my head?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:59 PM   #20
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
You're talking over my head.

<clicks over to next window and does a Google search for "Old Leprechaun Testament" and "Maggie O'Toole">

Edit: What is this a joke that went over my head?
Clearly it is because you have not been initiated in the mysteries of the leprechauns.

Sleep, and ye shall find; fondle her rocks, and her fly shall be opened unto you...

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:03 PM   #21
West491
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Clearly it is because you have not been initiated in the mysteries of the leprechauns.
I think I'll live.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #22
clambake
shred

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
Agreed. For some strange reason you intrigue me Sternwallow.
Oh, now you've done it, he'll never stop posting now!

"Ignorance is not bliss; it is terrifying like walking blindfolded down a dark hallway full of set bear traps." ~ Sternwallow

Death will be like 1964 all over again.
clambake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #23
Coatsy

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
I think I'll live.
But what worth is the uninitiated life?

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams
Coatsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:19 AM   #24
Captain Relativity
Obsessed Member

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
I will definitely miss going out for ice cream, playing ball with the guys, and reading my books.
No you won't. You have to be conscious to 'miss' something. The upside of being permanently unconscious, is that you're unconscious of the fact that you're permanently unconscious.

Atheism is a strictly non-prophet organization. - Carlin
And the Catholic Cow sez: "The Inquisition was a legal proceeding.
Victims had rights, trials, etc."
Captain Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #25
West491
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Captain Relativity wrote View Post
No you won't. You have to be conscious to 'miss' something. The upside of being permanently unconscious, is that you're unconscious of the fact that you're permanently unconscious.
That's a given. It's obvious. I just misstated.

I meant too say that a disadvantage of dying is that I will no longer to be able to do the things that I love.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:37 AM   #26
West491
Obsessed Member

Quote:
clambake wrote View Post
Oh, now you've done it, he'll never stop posting now!
. He usually has something intelligent to say, that's all I'm saying. Generally, people like that intrigue me.

Edit: Sorry guys for posting all my comments separately rather than making one longer comment. But I can't get the "Member Bob wrote" to appear when I do that.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #27
Coatsy

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
That's a given. It's obvious. I just misstated.

I meant too say that a disadvantage of dying is that I will no longer to be able to do the things that I love.
Being at a disadvantage requires that you are in relation to something else, in this case your living, breathing self. However, when you're dead, you simply won't be, in any form, so 'being dead' is a bit of a misnomer.

Fair enough, approaching death you might become senile, sick and infirm and thus be deprived of these pleasures whilst having the notion that you are. But death is by definition just a negative of everything it means to exist.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams
Old 09-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #28
West491
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Coatsy wrote View Post
Being at a disadvantage requires that you are in relation to something else, in this case your living, breathing self. However, when you're dead, you simply won't be, in any form, so 'being dead' is a bit of a misnomer.

Fair enough, approaching death you might become senile, sick and infirm and thus be deprived of these pleasures whilst having the notion that you are. But death is by definition just a negative of everything it means to exist.
I understand what you mean. Although I feel there are advantages and disadvantages to just about everything. A disadvantage of dying is that you're dead. An advantage of dying...wait. Ok, you're right, I'm wrong. I really understand what you mean now when you say "in relation to something else".

So how can I say what I'm trying to say? I'm trying to say that once you're dead you can no longer do the things you loved doing, which is a bummer. Hmmm...maybe that's just it.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #29
Coatsy

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
I understand what you mean. Although I feel there are advantages and disadvantages to just about everything. A disadvantage of dying is that you're dead. An advantage of dying...wait. Ok, you're right, I'm wrong. I really understand what you mean now when you say "in relation to something else".

So how can I say what I'm trying to say? I'm trying to say that once you're dead you can no longer do the things you loved doing, which is a bummer. Hmmm...maybe that's just it.
I think what you mean (sorry, I really don't mean to sound patronizing) is that you find the idea of death to be a bummer, or the idea of non-existence. That's perfectly understandable, and indeed the idea of not being to do the things you love sucks.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #30
nkb
He who walks among the theists

I think what West491 is trying to say is (and it is how I feel) that it is saddening (right now) to think of a time when we won't be able to do the things we like to do.

For example, it saddens me that there's a distinct possibility that I won't be around for grandkids (I started late on having kids myself). When I'm dead, I obviously won't give a shit, but it's somewhat depressing now.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote