nkb
He who walks among the theists

"God" in the Texas pledge

Couple wants 'God' out of Texas pledge

Dallas: Atheists say new wording harming their kids; injunction denied
12:00 AM CDT on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

By KATHERINE LEAL UNMUTH / The Dallas Morning News
kunmuth@dallasnews.com
A day after thousands of schoolchildren began reciting the revised Texas pledge honoring "one state under God," an atheist couple asked a federal judge in Dallas that the language be immediately removed.
Legislators inserted the language into the pledge earlier this year to mirror the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance.
U.S. District Judge Ed Kinkeade denied the request late Tuesday by David Wallace Croft and his wife, Shannon, for a preliminary injunction to stop the use of the pledge before any trial. No trial date has been set. An unidentified John and Jane Doe are also parties to the case.
"The U.S. Supreme Court has made it abundantly clear for decades that patriotic tributes to God are allowed under the Constitution," state solicitor general Ted Cruz argued in court.
The Crofts' attorney, Dean Cook, said, "Two wrongs don't make a right." He argued that the Croft children, who attend Carrollton-Farmers Branch schools, are harmed by recitation of the Texas pledge, even if they are allowed to leave the room. He called it a "temporary jail."
"Children are highly impressionable and subject to peer pressure," Mr. Cook said.
The revised Texas pledge reads: "Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."
Mr. Cook argued that the U.S. pledge has been allowed to stand mostly because it is a tradition and has been in place for decades. The Texas language is different because it is new, he said.
Mr. Cruz said this argument of "old may be OK, but new is bad" does not work because the language is identical and has never harmed children who said the U.S. pledge.
"In both the nation and the state there is a long tradition of acknowledging the role of the Almighty," Mr. Cruz said after arguments Tuesday. "Texas is a uniquely patriotic state."
The Crofts announced earlier this month they were suing Gov. Rick Perry, as a representative of the state, over the pledge on the same day arguments were held over their separate lawsuit against the state's minute of silence law.
In each case, the Crofts argue that actions by legislators are unconstitutional and amount to violations of separation of church and state. They argued legislators sought to reintroduce prayer in schools by mandating the moment of silence in 2003. The law gives children the option to "reflect, pray, meditate or engage in any other silent activity" during that minute.
In Texas, schoolchildren recite the U.S. pledge and the Texas pledge and then observe a minute of silence each morning before classes.
The lawsuit challenging the moment of silence is before U.S. District Judge Barbara Lynn. She has not yet issued a ruling.
In 2002, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, based in San Francisco, ruled in favor of California atheist Michael Newdow's lawsuit challenging the U.S. pledge's inclusion of the words "under God" and held it to be unconstitutional. Two years later, the Supreme Court reversed the decision.
Mr. Cook cited the 9th Circuit's opinion Tuesday.
"This 9th Circuit opinion is one of the most criticized opinions," Judge Kinkeade said in court. "It's roundly criticized."
Mr. Croft said he has received numerous e-mails and postings on his blog, david-wallace-croft.blogspot.com, about his court challenges. While he has received some support from other atheists, many are angry and opposed to his actions. "All the bad things that are going to happen to me are supposedly going to happen in the afterlife," Mr. Croft said in referring to the responses. "It's hard to take that seriously."

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:46 AM   #2
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
"In both the nation and the state there is a long tradition of acknowledging the role of the Almighty," Mr. Cruz said after arguments Tuesday. "Texas is a uniquely patriotic state."
Ummm...what?

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Sorry about posting the whole article, but Dallas Morning News is a (free) subscription.

What burns me the most, apart from theists feeling they need to force everyone else to worship their deity, is that paying tribute to God is being equated more and more with patriotism.
Who came up with that non-sequitur? The first time I heard it was Bush senior.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:39 AM   #4
Chris
Please vote!

Patriotism and God have nothing to do with each other. The whole idea makes may asshole pucker.

"Where they burn books, they will in the end also burn people." ~ Heinrich Heine
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
Chris wrote View Post
Patriotism and God have nothing to do with each other. The whole idea makes may asshole pucker.
You'd make a great cellmate.

Alas, though: patriotism and god are natural bedfellows, ever since Christinsanity glommed onto to the Roman State like a barnacle on a warship.

Without God, there'd be no Merkin Manifest Density, which was (and is) patriotism writ large.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Chris wrote View Post
Asshole puckering is illegal in Texas.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:54 AM   #7
Eva
Super Moderator

not in private. cf. Lawrence v. texas

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:10 AM   #8
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Eva wrote View Post
not in private. cf. Lawrence v. texas
Yes, but this was a very public display of asshole puckering. Definitely frowned upon by all right-thinking Texans.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 08-29-2007, 10:23 AM   #9
Eva
Super Moderator

and chris is not in texas

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:23 AM   #10
Rocketman the Sequel

I'm actually surprised at the illegality of the whole puckering thing...I though for sure it was mandatory there. How else do you explain why everyone there is so full of shit?

How about squinching? Is that illegal in texas too?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:41 AM   #11
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Sorry about posting the whole article, but Dallas Morning News is a (free) subscription.
Actually thank you for that. I hate signing up for things

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
What burns me the most, apart from theists feeling they need to force everyone else to worship their deity, is that paying tribute to God is being equated more and more with patriotism.
Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. ~ Samuel Johnson

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:48 AM   #12
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Eva wrote View Post
and chris is not in texas
But Christ is, and he would not be amused. Repent, heathen!

--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 08-29-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote