Old 03-29-2007, 02:26 PM   #16
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Gathercole wrote
Quote:
Irreligious quoted someone else who wrote
"If evolution is true and humans evolved from monkeys and apes, how come there are still monkeys and apes around today?"
The most pithy (and my favorite) response is, "If I'm descended from Irish people how come there are still Irish people?"
:lol: BRILLIANT!! :thumbsup:

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #17
Rat Bastard

Quote:
Irreligious wrote
Quote:
anthonyjfuchs wrote
Humans did not evolve from monkeys or apes. Humans, monkeys and apes evolved from a common ancestor. Humans, monkeys and apes are all cousins, and as such, have the same nth-great-grandparents. Everyone understands that I didn't "evolve" from my cousin; but my cousin and I do have the same grandparents. Of course, this also answers the idiotic question "hows cum dere's still munkees + apez?" Humans, monkeys and apes co-exist for the same reason that you and your cousin can be alive at the same time; different threads of the same family tree.

[/rant]

Sorry.
No need to apologize for the rant. Whatsoever. I honestly appreciate the clarification and the fine example you provided vis a vis humans not evolving from cousins, which further enhanced my meager understanding of the basic evolutionary model.

But that's my point: Not all of us who have trouble grasping the basic scientific concepts are dim-witted mouth-breathers. I never had much of a mind for science or math. My thinking processes tend to be ordered more towards the metaphorical than the concrete. In my experience, science teachers have very little patience with folks like us. I think I can understand their (science minded folk's) frustration, but it only exacerbates to the problem and makes them resent us even more in the end.

The only thing that saves me from completely wandering in the darkness, I think, is that I was never a very religious person to begin with and, even in some of my willful arrogance, I've always had a healthy, albeit grudging sometimes, respect and awe of the scientific mind, because I was somehow able now and then to catch glimmers of how it works. And, of course, the evidence of its fabulousness is all around us.;)
Don't feel too bad, buddy, even us scientists still have to study like a bitch, and we still lose it occasionally, in terms of remembering every detail. And to get a Nobel, you have to remember shitloads more, and figure out more on top of that.

There's nothing worse (and more humbling) than sitting in a class full of college physics students and realizing that you actually are not the smartest mofo in the world, and you ain't gonna get no Nobel.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:02 AM   #18
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Irreligious wrote
Quote:
nkb wrote
Because "theory" has been so watered down, these ID retards raise their pea-brained ideas to the level of theory, while dragging down actual scientific theories, equating them with mere conjecture.
I've said before that I am a science dummy, so I sympathize a bit with the pea-sized minds that have trouble grasping even basic scientific concepts and bow to you guys and gals with the big, bad brains.:bow:

All that said, isn't there something that the scientific community can do to help those who believe in magic to understand the difference between the colloquial use of the word 'theory' and it's actual scientific application? I honestly think the scientists ought to start a public campaign or something.

Even bright people I know have asked the question: "If evolution is true and humans evolved from monkeys and apes, how come there are still monkeys and apes around today?" Now, I possess only a scant knowledge and understanding of biological evolutionary processes, but I do realize that there are many species of monkeys and apes (humans being just one), but that seems to elude a lot of folk who are without a proper grounding in biology and the other sciences. Ultimately, that is the problem.
Reality can't seem to win over here. If science lets non-scientists hijack terms like "theory" it will be criticized based on the bogus meaning they have given to it. But, if science picks a different term to encapsulate the actual meaning, science is criticized for using arcane terminology.

If I say that the conception of Jesus was a case of the rape of a child and I thereafter claim that the entirety of Christianity is reprehensible because of the Conception.

You know, the World Court would prosecute anyone who followed "God's justice" for crimes against humanity. This is because I have "misunderstood" the justice of God to pertain to God's Biblical penchant for genocide. No matter how many times theists would correct my use of the term, I would continue to use "God's justice" as a synonym for genocide.

So I advise all non-scientists to leave off the word theory altogether and, when necessary, substitute the phrase "strong explanation" as in "Evolution is just a strong explanation of the diversity of life".

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:14 AM   #19
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Rat Bastard wrote
There's nothing worse (and more humbling) than sitting in a class full of college physics students and realizing that you actually are not the smartest mofo in the world, and you ain't gonna get no Nobel.
Also humbling (and very educational) is to get up in front of a class in your favorite subject, which you have studied till your ears smoke, and which you are an acknowledged expert in, to teach it and realize how little you really know about it, how many unanswered questions there are, how many imponderables, how many previously discovered dead ends.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #20
Gnosital
still unsmited

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote
Also humbling (and very educational) is to get up in front of a class in your favorite subject, which you have studied till your ears smoke, and which you are an acknowledged expert in, to teach it and realize how little you really know about it, how many unanswered questions there are, how many imponderables, how many previously discovered dead ends.
True dat!!!!

:cheers:
Gnosital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:42 AM   #21
Victus
Obsessed Member

My closest comparable experience is hearing from my supervisor that I probably know more about a given field of research than he does.

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:26 AM   #22
Wakkun

I've had the opposite experience, my one time assistant at work got her Ph.D in mathematics at Oxford while she was working for me. It made me feel like a cunt, as I left school at 16 and never went back.