Old 04-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #31
bryantee

It's a bit silly for layman like us to try to rationalize something like a singularity.

Richard Feynman said "If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."
Old 04-05-2007, 08:32 PM   #32
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
bryantee wrote
Richard Feynman said "If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."
did he really?

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:07 PM   #33
bryantee

Ah, now I feel like a dumbass.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:14 PM   #34
Choobus
I Live Here

not my intent, just giving props

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Old 04-06-2007, 05:38 AM   #35
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
ocmpoma wrote
Quote:
Prof C wrote
Let me clarify: How do we know the big bang was the origin of space/time?
Quote:
Stephen Hawking wrote
Because mathematics cannot really handle infinite numbers ...the general theory of relativity... predicts that there is a point in the universe where the theory itself breaks down... ...a singularity. In fact, all our theories of science are formulated on the assumption that space-time is smooth and nearly flat, so they break down at the big bang singularity, where the curvature of space-time is infinite. This means that even if there were events before the big bang, one could not use them to determine what would happen afterward, because predictability would break down at the big bang.
Correspondingly, if, as is the case, we know only what has happened since the big bang, we could not determine what happened before-hand. As far as we are concerned, events before the big bang can have no consequences, so the should not form part of a scientific model of the universe. We should therefore cut them out of the model and say that time had a beginning at the big bang.
--Illus. Brief History..., pp 61-62, Bantam Books 1996 ed.
There's also this paper, if you've access to JSTOR.
Thanks, ocm. Exactly what I was looking for. :cheers:

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:06 AM   #36
Just Us Chickens

Quote:
Choobus wrote
That's why the many worlds idea is so unpopular. It is basically the last resort for people who can't accept that quantum processes require observers to explain it.
Why does the quantum process require observers? It sounds very tree falling in the forest.

Edit: typo
Old 04-06-2007, 08:15 AM   #37
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Just Us Chickens wrote
Quote:
Choobus wrote
That's why the many worlds idea is so unpopular. It is basically the last resort for people who can't accept that quantum processes require observers to explain it.
Why does the puantum process require observers? It sounds very tree falling in the forest.
tjhat's the essenceof quantum physics: systems exist in a linear superposition of states which means that (for example) a particle can be in two places at once, or have two different spin states or polarizations and so on. It is only when a measurement is made to determine which state it is "really" in that the wavefunction (which contains all the possible states) collapses into one particular state. How does it decide what state it is in? That's the problem. Many worlds says it doesn't, that the universe splits off and all possible states are realized, just in different universes. This means that Quantum phjysics is actually deterministic if you consider the universal state vector and only looks like it has random processes from theperspective of one single universe, since most of the outcomes of measurements are not observed. It's a perfectly useless theory, but still too complicated for most people (including me) to really understand.

~ Philiboid Studge
Old 04-06-2007, 09:01 AM   #38
Just Us Chickens

Thank you choobus.
I think I need to go look up a bunch of the words in your answer before I ask anymore questions. otherwise this could end up taking awhile
Old 04-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #39
bryantee

Anyone seen What The Bleep Do We Know? What's your take on that flick, Choob?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #40
Professor Chaos

Quote:
bryantee wrote

Old 04-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #41
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
bryantee wrote

~ Philiboid Studge
Old 04-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #42
Professor Chaos

:lol:

Old 04-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #43
Choobus
I Live Here

:lol:

~ Philiboid Studge
Old 04-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #44
Evil_Mage_Ra

Whoa. I'm seeing double.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #45
Livingstrong

Quote:
Evil_Mage_Ra wrote
Whoa. I'm seeing double.
Two poops and two laughing smileys almost perfectly synchronized!!! That's atheist perfection! :rock: