Old 04-11-2007, 06:24 AM   #1
VladTheImpaler
Obsessed Member

Hello,

I wanted to bring the following video to your attention:

I'd like to hear what people have to say about this theory. I my self take no definite position wheter or not this could be true, I simply don't know. However I found it very interresting.

Also view this commentary to the above video, I feel this induvidual makes some good points.

- Vlad

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then is he malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~Epicurus
VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:48 AM   #2
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Welcome Vlad. In dealing with theists, your presumed talents are sorely needed here.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:00 AM   #3
GaryM

I didn't think much of that video, the author didn't spend much time explaining why his theory was superior to the prevailing one. All he said was "assume there are no subduction zones, and that the Earth expands". Now if you do that you can still explain all the things that the current theory of plate tectonics explains, however you can no longer explain things like this line of volcanoes:

but you can explain it if you suppose that the Pacific plate is getting shoved under the continental one.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
HeathenLifer

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote
Welcome Vlad. In dealing with theists, your presumed talents are sorely needed here.
Don't touch his chalice!!!!

If your calculator adds your inputs 2 and 3 and gets 5, but the real problem you were trying to solve was 2 plus 2, the machine gives the wrong answer for your problem. The machine isn\'t broken and yet it got the wrong answer. It was gullible and believed your lie and behaved accordingly. - Sternwallow
HeathenLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
ocmpoma

Thanks, Vlad.

That was hilarious.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #6
Choobus
I Live Here

why do these uneducated assholes think that scientists are liars, or just plain wrong? Do they think science is all white coats, pocket protectors, fast cars and babes? Don't they understand that when scientists make a claim it has been painfully thought out, has been subjected to every test possible and has been debated among a diverse group of people, someof whom would like nothing more than to stick it to some of th eothers by proving them wrong. A little bullshit might slip through the cracks now and then, but this is rare, not prevalent.

This guy is a fucking moron, and that's me being kind.

If the earth is growing it's because of all the bullshit cunts like this are trying to bury in it.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
Rat Bastard

Hey! That zone outline has a somewhat familiar banana-shape! Is he trying to tell us something?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
VladTheImpaler wrote
Hello,

I wanted to bring the following video to your attention:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjgidAICoQI

I'd like to hear what people have to say about this theory. I my self take no definite position wheter[sic] or not this could be true, I simply don't know. However I found it very interresting[sic].

Also view this commentary to the above video, I feel this induvidual[sic] makes some good points.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIKSsZutqkQ

- Vlad
Both the original video and the reply show a severe lack of understanding about science and how it works. The second guy keeps on about how scientists are so set in their beliefs that they hate anyone who proposes alternatives. Both of them advocate a hypothesis (not a theory) which contradicts, not scientific faith, but the accumulated facts from the past few hundred years. It isn't that a new notion like this one goes against an established tradition that makes it unlikely to be true, it is that any new theory must explain all of the known information better than the current theory. In the current knowledge base about the geology of the Earth, there are hundreds of thousands of facts which the current theory is quite adequate to address.

We know subduction occurs because we have drilled through it and there are deep trenches right where there must be if subduction is true. We know that the continents are moving thousands of times faster than the Earth circumference is changing because we can measure the movement to a precision of millimeters from orbit. We know that tectonic plates move because we can look at mountains caused by their collisions. Mountains could hardly exist on a surface that was stretching.

The central and obvious question with this hypothesis (not a theory) is how could the planet expand in the amounts required. The proponents of this idea give no clue even about whether it involved a corresponding change in mass.

Science isn't true because it is hundreds of years old, or believed by powerful people, it is the best current approximation of truth because the vast body of evidence says so.

It is fine to have a hypothesis about some special tiny part of nature, but, unless it has evidence to back it up in all of the relevant areas, it is certainly not a theory and, in this case, not even a bad guess.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #9
Livingstrong

Hey Vlad, welcome to the forum. I didn't enjoy the video at all. Thanks for posting the link anyways.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:40 PM   #10
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Choobus wrote
why do these uneducated assholes think that scientists are liars, or just plain wrong? Do they think science is all white coats, pocket protectors, fast cars and babes? Don't they understand that when scientists make a claim it has been painfully thought out, has been subjected to every test possible and has been debated among a diverse group of people, someof whom would like nothing more than to stick it to some of th eothers by proving them wrong. A little bullshit might slip through the cracks now and then, but this is rare, not prevalent.

This guy is a fucking moron, and that's me being kind.

If the earth is growing it's because of all the bullshit cunts like this are trying to bury in it.
Don't expect retards infected with this schizophrenia type delusions inducing illness, Christ-psychosis, to understand the REALITY which is SCIENCE. I'm sure that if one would take mild schizophrenia suffering patients of sanatoriums and replace Christian ministers and priests with them, the pious Church going faithful will NOT notice liking their conviction of faith better!...:lol:

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
Choobus
I Live Here

that's the problem though Cal,it's not just the X-psychotics. You can get stupid in god flavour, but you can get it plain as well.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Old 04-11-2007, 11:28 PM   #12
bryantee

Crackhead comic book artist.

Touching on what Stern said, and going off on a bit of a tangent - one of my professors, who happens to be a biologist and Daoist, frequently asserts that Traditional Chinese Medicine is superior to modern bio-medicine because it has been "proven" to work over thousands of years, and claims western medicine is less than a century old. This frustrates me beyond belief. Sorry but I had to vent.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:42 AM   #13
woody

I think I’ve seen this theory before, (no doubt somewhere on this forum) but anyway, I think it might be appropriate to post the link again for anyone who missed it the first time around…
Old 04-12-2007, 07:39 AM   #14
robusthealthysoul

You know that the expanding Earth has got to be America's fault, what with all that fast-food...and the chronic...masturbation.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:39 AM   #15
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
bryantee wrote
Crackhead comic book artist.

Touching on what Stern said, and going off on a bit of a tangent - one of my professors, who happens to be a biologist and Daoist, frequently asserts that Traditional Chinese Medicine is superior to modern bio-medicine because it has been "proven" to work over thousands of years, and claims western medicine is less than a century old. This frustrates me beyond belief. Sorry but I had to vent.
A dirty jizzlam cunt I had to work with once claimed that jizzlam was thebest religon because it was the most modern. I asked him why he wasn't a mormon or scientologist and he laughed, claiming that they were false. For a second I thought he had developed a sense of humour, but then I remembered he was a fucking muslim (shit be upon them). Religiots sure do be stoopids

~ Philiboid Studge