psychodiva
I Live Here

I think it was probably made for the USA audience nkb

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #17
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

I did watch the Alien Invasion one (still haven't watched the God one, on the DVR), and it's not as bad as you might expect. They talk with a lot of scientists on what an actual alien invasion might be like (insofar as alien biology, superior tech, etc.), and what society would go through. Some of it was interesting, but I consider it more fluff than science (but entertaining fluff nonetheless).

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #18
psychodiva
I Live Here

Falling Skies is better- at least it has so-so sfx

Old 08-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #19
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote View Post
I did watch the Alien Invasion one (still haven't watched the God one, on the DVR), and it's not as bad as you might expect. They talk with a lot of scientists on what an actual alien invasion might be like (insofar as alien biology, superior tech, etc.), and what society would go through. Some of it was interesting, but I consider it more fluff than science (but entertaining fluff nonetheless).
That's why I'm saying the series took a hit in credibility (at least in my mind). I was expecting more science than fluff.

My problem is, why do we automatically assume that aliens are all as blood-thirsty as we are? Why does it have to be an invasion? Because that's what we'd do?

Good to see you back, Rhino.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #20
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
I think it was probably made for the USA audience nkb
No doubt. Things tend to be dumbed down for us.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #21
Rhinoqulous

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
That's why I'm saying the series took a hit in credibility (at least in my mind). I was expecting more science than fluff.

My problem is, why do we automatically assume that aliens are all as blood-thirsty as we are? Why does it have to be an invasion? Because that's what we'd do?

Good to see you back, Rhino.
Well, if they were friendly aliens, then they couldn't talk about weapon capabilities we have for combating orbital space ships (and apparently the US does have the capability and plans for such weapons, which I didn't know and is cool in a sort of blowing-stuff-up kind of way).

Good to see (chat?) you too NKB.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Old 08-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #22
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
Falling Skies is better- at least it has so-so sfx
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo? Falling skies is wank tissue. An awful attempt at the walking dead, which is fucking awesome lol.
I wondered with the alien invasion thingy why they presume we would all look to find groups of others. Would you like to hitch up with a group of KKK members who enjoys arse fisting parties?
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #23
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
ILOVEJESUS wrote View Post
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo? Falling skies is wank tissue. An awful attempt at the walking dead, which is fucking awesome lol.
I wondered with the alien invasion thingy why they presume we would all look to find groups of others. Would you like to hitch up with a group of KKK members who enjoys arse fisting parties?
yes i agree- but it was still better than the aliens ep thingy

Old 08-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #24
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

I find it much better to turn the telly off and go for a drink or 2.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #25
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Cowboys & Aliens wasn't as idiotic as it sounds nor as good as it could have been. The aliens were a bunch of blood-thirsty motherfuckers though, and part of the point is because that's what we'd do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #26
Rhinoqulous

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
Cowboys & Aliens wasn't as idiotic as it sounds nor as good as it could have been. The aliens were a bunch of blood-thirsty motherfuckers though, and part of the point is because that's what we'd do.
A lot of people seem to have some hate for that movie, but come on, it's James Bond and Han Solo, as Cowboys, fighting aliens. You can't go wrong with that.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #27
Brick

So many plot holes in C vs. A. To pick the most irksome one, why the hell did the aliens engage in hand to hand combat when they had vastly superior weaponry?

Damn lazy writers!
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #28
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
I think the chemistry between Craig and Ford was terrific. Each one made his mark on the whole presentation without having to undercut or downgrade the other.

If any criticism is due, I thought there was not enough of that dark, desperate times, M*A*S*H-like humor among the toughest leaders. I guess they wanted too hard to be taken seriously.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:54 AM   #29
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

If the aliens did use their superior tech, how long would the movie have been?
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #30
Rhinoqulous

Watching the "Did God Create the Universe" Curiosity right now, not really impressed. Very bland, and all the close ups on Hawkings eye is kind of creepy. I actually enjoyed the Aliens one more. We'll see how this weeks episode is (not even sure what the topic is), may get removed from the DVR recording list.