Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
lurker wrote
Quote:
Tenspace wrote
Any suggestions for my next title?
You probably wouldn't like it. ;)
Try me. I can be pretty self-deprecating at times. :)

Ten

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:16 PM   #78
HeWhoAsks

Quote:
lurker wrote
One study, no matter how intriguing, does not necessarily a fact make. When lots of other people do the same thing, think about it some more and in different ways, poke and prod at the process, analysis, and results, etc., and come up with the same conclusion, then we can talk about facts, overturning, etc.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:06 AM   #79
Lurker

Quote:
HeWhoAsks wrote
One study, no matter how intriguing, does not necessarily a fact make. When lots of other people do the same thing, think about it some more and in different ways, poke and prod at the process, analysis, and results, etc., and come up with the same conclusion, then we can talk about facts, overturning, etc.
Seems like we have 3-4 different interpretations of the study's significance. From 'confirms evolution' to 'unexpected results'. Whatever the significance, it seems obvious to me that evolution is not fully understood by the people on this forum (me included).
Old 06-14-2005, 12:15 PM   #80
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
lurker wrote
Quote:
HeWhoAsks wrote
Seems like we have 3-4 different interpretations of the study's significance. From 'confirms evolution' to 'unexpected results'. Whatever the significance, it seems obvious to me that evolution is not fully understood by the people on this forum (me included).
No one understands it fully. Evolution sits next to relativity, particle physics, and women in that regard.

Ten

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Old 06-14-2005, 12:21 PM   #81
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Quote:
Tenspace wrote
No one understands it fully. Evolution sits next to relativity, particle physics, and women in that regard.

Ten
At least relativity doesn't yell at you for hanging around other abstract theories of the universe. :D

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:22 PM   #82
PanAtheist
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Tenspace wrote
Threadkiller came about because of the total lack of response I (didn't) receive for a couple of weeks. It seems like I was killing threads left and right.
That is because your posts excel, and are the total peak of expression, and everyone is left thinking "Follow That!!" :D

Healthy genes act as team-players. They are teamish!
Their winning plays are
salvations of an aliveness of which they are a part.
Only a fraction of genes are selfish/parasitic (and they
parasitize teams).
PanAtheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:47 PM   #83
HeWhoAsks

Quote:
lurker wrote
Quote:
HeWhoAsks wrote
Not many things are *fully* understood. For a standard by which to judge scientific understanding, that is a straw man.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:20 PM   #84
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
PanAtheist wrote
Quote:
Tenspace wrote
Threadkiller came about because of the total lack of response I (didn't) receive for a couple of weeks. It seems like I was killing threads left and right.
That is because your posts excel, and are the total peak of expression, and everyone is left thinking "Follow That!!" :D
I am humbled. Thank you.

Ten

Old 06-16-2005, 04:53 AM   #85
peepnklown

Are we supposed to believe that book written (so-called 2000 years ago) is supposed to explain the beginning of the universe?
Hell, people in those days though lightening was made from angry gods!
At least it should have more than one chapter covering that event, jeebus!