Old 12-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #241
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Drew, you may come across as less of a twat if you took the trouble to learn how to use the quote function so anyone vaguely interested in your crap could at least see who you are arguing with.

Hint, there's a button on every post saying "QUOTE" - it's a bit of a give-away dontcha think?

Not to mention the FAQs ....

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:42 AM   #242
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Drew_2013 wrote View Post
A while back I submitted three lines of evidence in favor of theism.

1. The fact the universe exists

2. The fact life exists

3. The fact sentient life exists.

I mentioned that if these things didn't exist the claim there is no evidence in favor of theism would actually be true. I said the very fact of their existence raises the question why they exist. Its not the fault of the asker that he or she asks why such exists...the fault lies with the fact they do exist.

However, just because we ask why doesn't mean the answer will lead to a personal agent who made a decision to cause such, that is the question in dispute. A philosophical question, not a scientific one. This is a philosophical debate (minus the pictures, bathroom humor).
Okay, I'm going to paraphrase for time. You posted those proofs, then I challenged that they can be used as proofs for anything - which you agreed to, but said you think they are proofs for a god because of some other evidence that you were going to present.

That's the evidence I want.

Michael...you are correct
- selliedjoup
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:45 AM   #243
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

drew, by adding sentient life to "because life exists" are you specifically talking about humans? Are humans somewhat special creations in your point of view?

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #244
Francis

Quote:
Kinich Ahau wrote View Post
drew, by adding sentient life to "because life exists" are you specifically talking about humans? Are humans somewhat special creations in your point of view?
I'm not Drew but let's explore your question.

Quantum mechanics, which has been proved over and over again since Bohr postulated it, dictates that observers change reality. In its essence, light is a wave until observed and upon observation, the wave function collapses and that light becomes particles. Essentially, observation creates the universe, the reality we exist in.

Human beings are, by far, the greatest observers this world has ever known. We observe, with a wide variety of microscopes and sensors and even subatomic particle colliders. On the other scale of things, with our telescopes, we observe deeply into space, and, in doing so, billions of years into the past. We observe not only visible light, but other wavelengths of light and energy.

Just by being here and following our nature, we change and create the universe around us, to a degree many orders of magnitude greater than any other species that has ever existed on this good Earth. That alone makes us special. It is not hard to argue, using quantum mechanics, that our existence is intentional rather than accidental
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #245
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
That alone makes us special.
Some of you are more special than others ....

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #246
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
Who is the stupider? Is it the stupid person who knows he is stupid? Or is it the stupid person who doesn't know he is stupid?

The latter I propose.
Which category best describes you?

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #247
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #248
dogpet
Obsessed Member

There are no particles in light until something gets in it's way? Observable dickhead. Light doesn't care if you see it.

If a pigeon flaps it's wings......

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #249
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Kinich Ahau wrote View Post
One puddle named Drew says to another nearby puddle "Francis, I can't believe how lucky we are. These holes fit us perfectly".
The logic of the leprechauns is miraculously circular!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #250
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Frantard wrote View Post
It is not hard to argue, using quantum mechanics, that our existence is intentional rather than accidental
Was human existence always inevitable?

Now we're getting somewhere.

Was the dinosaur's demise planned?

Note: we're not asking the oracle here, so only expect avoidance & obfuscation.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #251
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #252
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
I'm not Drew but let's explore your question.

Quantum mechanics, which has been proved over and over again since Bohr postulated it, dictates that observers change reality. In its essence, light is a wave until observed and upon observation, the wave function collapses and that light becomes particles. Essentially, observation creates the universe, the reality we exist in.

Human beings are, by far, the greatest observers this world has ever known. We observe, with a wide variety of microscopes and sensors and even subatomic particle colliders. On the other scale of things, with our telescopes, we observe deeply into space, and, in doing so, billions of years into the past. We observe not only visible light, but other wavelengths of light and energy.

Just by being here and following our nature, we change and create the universe around us, to a degree many orders of magnitude greater than any other species that has ever existed on this good Earth. That alone makes us special. It is not hard to argue, using quantum mechanics, that our existence is intentional rather than accidental

I haven't read this post, but this is wrong, because anyone who thinks that sports clubs are relgions but buddhism and certain christian sects are not, is clearly not going to right about anything.
Therefore, Francis is wrong again. That's got to be embarrassing for him.

Time to be quiet, Francis - people who don't make embarrassingly stupid declarations (like christianity not being a religion) are trying to talk.

- selliedjoup
Old 12-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #253
Michael
Obsessed Member

Wait...wait...

I just went over it. It's so precious.

Quote:
Francis wrote View Post
Human beings are, by far, the greatest observers this world has ever known. We observe, with a wide variety of microscopes and sensors and even subatomic particle colliders. On the other scale of things, with our telescopes, we observe deeply into space
That alone makes us special. It is not hard to argue, using quantum mechanics, that our existence is intentional rather than accidental

Francis' Awesome definitely-legit Arguments

- Sports clubs are religions.
- buddhism and christianity are not.
- humans have microscopes and telescopes, therefore god exists.

Wow! How can you argue against that!

- selliedjoup
Old 12-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #254
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Michael wrote View Post
Wait...wait...

My rabbit got diarrhea from eating too many bananas - proof of gods right there! Don't you see it?

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #255
Francis

Quote:
Michael wrote View Post
Wait...wait...

small, unethical man
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote