Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-26-2007, 10:43 PM   #1
psyadam

the raving agnostic

It's been a while, folks, but the raving agnostic is back with a vengeance! So here's today's topic: agnosticism. The question of the day is, what should I consider myself, an atheist, or an agnostic? I'll tell you what I think about the whole God thing, and you can decide.

First, I like Kai Nielson's view that the concept of God is basically incoherent. This is because I think the idea of an entity being "perfect" is logically contradictory (I can explain this in more detail if you wish), and also I think the idea that he is also somehow like a "father" to us is nonsense (although I'm not exactly sure why). If I die and it turns out that God is an ok guy than I won't be too upset, but that would suck if I disagree with a guy that is "perfect" and he basically tells me something like "I hate gays, and I'm not going to give you a logical reason why, just I said so"

In other words, I'm mostly with you guys on the whole "God" thing.

The issue that keeps me from telling other people I'm "atheist" (whatever that means) is mostly because I really would like to believe there is an afterlife. I've never had anything in this reality that remotely points to there actually being one, but I don't see why you guys seem so sure there isn't. I used to think no afterlife was really crappy, but then I realized that living forever would be significantly more crappy. Anyway, that's it for my rant.
psyadam is offline   Reply With Quote