Old 01-25-2006, 07:38 PM   #16
Another brick in the wall

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I'll be impressed if he can answer this fairly elementary thermodynamics question.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:55 PM   #17
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Tim the Enchanter wrote
Salty, how stupid are you? Do you really think that scientists anxiously look over their shoulders hoping that no clever theist notices the apparent contradiction between evolution the second law of thermodynamics, exposing science for the faith-based fraud that it is? Do you really think this? Either you've got rocks between your ears or you know the very simple explanation of how the two principles do not contradict each other and you are just an annoying troll. Which is it?

*edit for syntax*
She either bumped her head, or suffers from christ-psychosis which makes delusions, like creationism, appear real. I'm certain she belongs to the flat earth society so, no matter how much EVIDENCE is presented, people under this neurological disorder will ignore it, since it appears preposturous and wrong in their defective synapses. Identical thing happens in the schizophrenic brain........:)

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:10 PM   #18
Mog
Obsessed Member

Salty, why did you create a new thread for this? Couldn't you have used the old "evolution belongs in the dustbin of history" thread or that "evolution is a myth" thread? Or maybe you could have used the debate or sadistic design threads?

Oh, I know why! Its because you haven't made any new points. You are making the same old tired points that have already been refuted to death, and you created this new thread to cover it up!

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:54 PM   #19
Iconoclastic1

Quote:
Salty wrote
A few reasons why Evolution is dead:

1. It isn't happening today(it has never been observed).
2. Random mutations could never have changed one species into another species.
3. It violates the 1st and 2nd Laws of Thermodynamics.

I could list more, but these are some of the key problems with the Evolution hypothesis that will be good to discuss.
1. Go away.
2. Quit bothering us.
3. God, what an idiot you are. I doubt you could even spell thermodynamics without looking it up, let alone understand it. "Disorder" as it pertains to thermodynamics, refers to an ordered state of energy, not biological organisms. Energy trends towards a disordered state, in other words thermal energy. Words have very precise meanings when used to describe something in science, and especially physics, and you can't just look at the word disorder and take it to mean something other than intended. So go away.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:04 PM   #20
Demigod79

Salty: I strongly urge you to go study evolution and thermodynamics before you act like an expert on it. You seem to be regurgitating old theistic arguments against evolution when you don't even understand it. You cannot criticize something which you have no knowledge of so I suggest you actually gain some knowledge about these topics before you go debating with people who do know. Otherwise you'll only make a fool out of yourself.

Religion - it gives people hope in a world torn apart by religion.
Demigod79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:08 PM   #21
whoneedscience

Oh goody, all the assclowns are back in town. Looks like it's internet week in the school for the mentally challenged again.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:18 PM   #22
Victus
Obsessed Member

Guys, guys! You're pushing him too hard. Start with the basics for crying out loud.

Salty, do you believe that the scientific method is a valid means of discovering the truth of, or at the very least, obtaining a batter understanding of the universe?

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:46 AM   #23
myst7426

Salty is back. He can't refrain from repeating the same old anti-evolutionary claims because he is infected with a meme that makes him go out and defend his version of Christianity.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:53 AM   #24
thomas

I don't understand why you all don't just provide the answers to his questions ? What's the purpose of the abuse ? It makes your position seem weaker, as though you're trying to avoid answering the questions ? I'm sure you've got scientific, peer-reviewed proof to back up your case, so why don't you just point him at it ?

Edit : Looking around the forum I guess this guy has "previous" ?
Old 01-26-2006, 05:15 AM   #25
myst7426

Quote:
thomas wrote
I don't understand why you all don't just provide the answers to his questions ? What's the purpose of the abuse ? It makes your position seem weaker, as though you're trying to avoid answering the questions ? I'm sure you've got scientific, peer-reviewed proof to back up your case, so why don't you just point him at it ?

We have, several times over, in other threads.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:28 AM   #26
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
thomas wrote

Because after presenting said evidence he replies with something akin to 'nahuh"

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:50 AM   #27
Iconoclastic1

Quote:
thomas wrote

It's been tried already. His cranium is denser than diamond, reason and rationality cannot penetrate it. Besides which, it's fun.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:54 AM   #28
Ickybod

A few reasons why creationism is dead:

1. Why did it take a whole 6 days for god to create the world when he had all the knowledge and power to do it in less than a split second?
2. Screwing your siblings these days tends to produce mentally challenged children (but I guess that explains you)
3. Why did god put a tree of good and evil in the garden when he KNEW that adam and eve would eat from it?

I could list more, but these are some of the key problems with the creationism hypothesis that will be good to discuss.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:31 AM   #29
Rocketman

Actually salty--as you contend that evolution violates the laws of thermodynamics--becasue it assumes complexity --order out of disorder--can you tell me why that arguement doesn't therefore preclude the conception , development and birth of a new human being?

According to you that is a violation of the second law of thermodynamics too..right?

So maybe---just maybe you might have a flawed understanding of the science involved?

Will you be honest enough to admit that?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:14 AM   #30
Salty

Quote:
Another brick in the wall wrote
Quote:
1. Take that argument to a court of law. You will get burned immediately. That is not proof for Evolution. You can't prove that that fossil had kids. Muchless different kids!
In court, you're innnocent until proven guilty. It doesn't work that way in science. Foramen magnum means "big hole" in Latin. It's where the spine connects with the base of the brain. In humans, it points straight down because we walk upright. In chimps and prehistoric apes, it's closer to the back because they walk on all fours and the spine is basically at a 45° angle. These fossils have the foramen magnum in an intermediate location- it's evidence of a transisition between walking on all fours and moving to an erect posture.

Quote:
2. Doubling the existing information is not going to get you anywhere. If a malfunction in a printing press caused a book to be printed with every page doubled, it would not be more informative than the proper book. Duplication of a chromosome is normally harmful, as in Down's syndrome.
In most cases yes, extra chromosomes do damage. But, copying a single gene will not affect an organism. If an organism has multiple copies of a gene, one gene is free to change and develop new functions while the other keeps chugging along. Geneticists have estimated that the vertebrate genome has been duplicated at least four times, BTW.

Quote:
. Give me an example where the 2nd law hasn't had an effect on something.
How is this relevant to anything? Answer my question: For an ideal gas, enthalpy depends on . . ?
1. You still can't prove that that fossil had kids.

2. You still have the same genes. Mutations will only remove genes, or rearrange them. Show me once where a mutation has produced new genetic information.

3. Look, I'm saying that Evolution could not have occurred if the 2nd law is true. Don't ask me questions; I'm the one asking the questions. Just tell me how Evolution occurred if the 2nd law is true.