Old 12-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #1
ubs
I Live Here

Tea

OK, so tea is getting to be all the rage here in the US. You may have heard of it...leaves floating around in hot water.

Anyway, I decided to order some real tea. I bought Orchid Olong from Darjeeling through Mighty Leaf. I followed all of the 11 rules, except that I didn't add milk.

Pros: Smells like heaven, hauntingly so. I felt good after drinking it. When I drink coffee I feel awake but unwell. Not so with the tea.

Cons: It tastes like water.

What am I doing wrong? Does it always taste like water? Did I buy the wrong kind? Are the 11 rules bullshit?

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
Captain Relativity
Obsessed Member

Quote:
What am I doing wrong?
Well ubs, you're drinking tea to start with.

Atheism is a strictly non-prophet organization. - Carlin
And the Catholic Cow sez: "The Inquisition was a legal proceeding.
Victims had rights, trials, etc."
Captain Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
Captain Relativity wrote View Post
Well ubs, you're drinking tea to start with.
LOL!

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
Lily

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
OK, so tea is getting to be all the rage here in the US. You may have heard of it...leaves floating around in hot water.

Anyway, I decided to order some real tea. I bought Orchid Olong from Darjeeling through Mighty Leaf. I followed all of the 11 rules, except that I didn't add milk.

Pros: Smells like heaven, hauntingly so. I felt good after drinking it. When I drink coffee I feel awake but unwell. Not so with the tea.

Cons: It tastes like water.

What am I doing wrong? Does it always taste like water? Did I buy the wrong kind? Are the 11 rules bullshit?
I doubt you did anything wrong. There is a fancy Thai restaurant here with a fabulous tea menu, which I have been working my way through. Some of the priciest teas on it taste like dish water, though the color and fragrance are simply heavenly.

If you want to drink fabulous and healthy tea, you have an importer in your backyard. Den's Tea is where I get the best green tea on earth-- true Japanese Sencha. Thanks to Den, I have also discovered Genmaicha which is green tea with roasted rice in it. The first time you drink Japanese green tea, you will think you are drinking grass and bark. You will be an addict by the 3rd cup. This is not an unmitigated good, since the stuff is expensive, but worth it in my opinion.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
Eva
Super Moderator

i love green tea precisely because because it tastes like fresh grass clippings, that you rake after mowing...

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
Captain Relativity
Obsessed Member

...you will think you are drinking grass...

...what a surprise.

Atheism is a strictly non-prophet organization. - Carlin
And the Catholic Cow sez: "The Inquisition was a legal proceeding.
Victims had rights, trials, etc."
Captain Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

.. but of course, tea must be taken in the afternoon, with cucumber sammiges, cream scones and only the best china.

.. and one's pinky must also rise to the occasion.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
Eva
Super Moderator

and a fun hat, evidently.

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Old 12-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Bovina wrote View Post
I doubt you did anything wrong. There is a fancy Thai restaurant here with a fabulous tea menu, which I have been working my way through. Some of the priciest teas on it taste like dish water, though the color and fragrance are simply heavenly.

If you want to drink fabulous and healthy tea, you have an importer in your backyard. Den's Tea is where I get the best green tea on earth-- true Japanese Sencha. Thanks to Den, I have also discovered Genmaicha which is green tea with roasted rice in it. The first time you drink Japanese green tea, you will think you are drinking grass and bark. You will be an addict by the 3rd cup. This is not an unmitigated good, since the stuff is expensive, but worth it in my opinion.
Remember when reading advice from Bovina that she is sure her Scones are haunted by a first-century Jewish zombie.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #11
Lily

Quote:
Eva wrote View Post
i love green tea precisely because because it tastes like fresh grass clippings, that you rake after mowing...
Well, we have something important in common, then. That is why I have come to love it. It is the equivalent of the most wonderful hot, lazy, summer day imaginable, in a cup.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #12
Irreligious
I Live Here

Does consuming grassy teas make one gassy?

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
Eva
Super Moderator

**DISCLAIMER**

i like grassy tea, but i am not a cow.

H. L. Mencken
Old 12-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #14
Lily

Sure you are. You just gave the game away. Welcome to my world! Sacra vaca!
Old 12-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
Eva
Super Moderator

it does not, irre. and it did not turn me into a cow.

H. L. Mencken