Old 08-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #1
psyadam

Why agnosticism is superior to atheism.

It is very simple actually. Agnostics are ethically superior to atheists. Whereas an atheist has no reason (other than perhaps altruism, but seriously, altruism I think is very rare in a human being) to really try to be a good human being, an agnostic acknowledges the possibility that there may be a heaven and a hell, and will shy away at least from doing anything really awful where the atheist has no logical reason not to do anything that is not entirely selfish since there are, after all, no consequences outside of the ones of this world. If you can get away with it in this life, and it benefits you, the logical thing to do is to do whatever it is (if you're an atheist), no matter how vile that thing might be.
psyadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
psyadam wrote View Post
Whereas an atheist has no reason (other than perhaps altruism, but seriously, altruism I think is very rare in a human being) to really try to be a good human being, an agnostic acknowledges the possibility that there may be a heaven and a hell, and will shy away at least from doing anything really awful where the atheist has no logical reason not to do anything that is not entirely selfish since there are, after all, no consequences outside of the ones of this world.
Worst. Sentence. Ever.

Or...

There is no reason to not believe that that was not the worst sentence not not created.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
Captain Relativity
Obsessed Member

The atheist who behaves well, knowing full well that no reward is forthcoming as a result of that good behavior, is clearly morally superior to the agnostic who's only motivation is reward; quid pro quo in other words.

Come on psyadam, Shirley you must agree that 'doing the right thing' simply because it's the right thing to do is ethically superior doing the right thing only because you're getting paid, so to speak, to do it?

Oh I get it, you're trolling. Never mind.

Atheism is a strictly non-prophet organization. - Carlin
And the Catholic Cow sez: "The Inquisition was a legal proceeding.
Victims had rights, trials, etc."
Captain Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote View Post
Worst. Sentence. Ever.

Or...

There is no reason to not believe that that was not the worst sentence not not created.
it was a sentence?

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
nkb
He who walks among the theists

By that logic, theism is superior to agnosticism, genius!

You're right on one point, though.
Quote:
psyadam wrote View Post
It is very simple actually.
(I'm assuming you're talking about your brain).

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
Sternwallow
I Live Here

"...an agnostic acknowledges the possibility that there may be a heaven and a hell" or Nirvana or the death morality of Kali or the placid and boring afterlife of ancient Egypt ... will behave just as he wishes and will cite the logical possibility of one of the 10,000 brands of morals/reward to justify the act.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
psyadam wrote
but seriously, altruism I think is very rare in a human being
You think altruisim is rare in the most successful social species in the history of the planet?

Really?

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
Captain Relativity
Obsessed Member

'Whose motivation' is actually what I was going for there, of course.

Atheism is a strictly non-prophet organization. - Carlin
And the Catholic Cow sez: "The Inquisition was a legal proceeding.
Victims had rights, trials, etc."
Captain Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
Radicalstripper
New Member!

I don't have the time to address something this stupid. If there was a god, who would not have filled the planet with morons.

I am your invisible, omnipotent stripper. PM me if you would like me to dance for you, and I will tell you where to send your tithes.
Radicalstripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #11
clambake
shred

Quote:
Radicalstripper wrote View Post
I don't have the time to address something this stupid.
Quite.

And quit besmirching FreeBSD with your avatar .

"Ignorance is not bliss; it is terrifying like walking blindfolded down a dark hallway full of set bear traps." ~ Sternwallow

Death will be like 1964 all over again.
clambake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #12
psyadam

Quote:
Victus wrote View Post
You think altruisim is rare in the most successful social species in the history of the planet?

Really?
Given the percentage of people out there that I think are jerks, yes.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #13
psyadam

I'll give you the point that, theoretically, if an atheist was a good person simply because he cared about people and was unselfish as opposed to a theist who hopes for a reward, the atheist is morally superior. My counter is that I don't think many atheists are like that.

Quote:
Captain Relativity wrote View Post
The atheist who behaves well, knowing full well that no reward is forthcoming as a result of that good behavior, is clearly morally superior to the agnostic who's only motivation is reward; quid pro quo in other words.

Come on psyadam, Shirley you must agree that 'doing the right thing' simply because it's the right thing to do is ethically superior doing the right thing only because you're getting paid, so to speak, to do it?

Oh I get it, you're trolling. Never mind.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #14
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
psyadam wrote View Post
Given the percentage of people out there that I think are jerks, yes.
Jerks relative to what, though? Think about it. Humans, a social species, are sufficiently altruistic to develop into a population of 7 billion, and utterly dominate the planet in the process.

That's not altruistic enough for you? Really?

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #15
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
psyadam wrote View Post
It is very simple actually. Agnostics are ethically superior to atheists. Whereas an atheist has no reason (other than perhaps altruism, but seriously, altruism I think is very rare in a human being) to really try to be a good human being, an agnostic acknowledges the possibility that there may be a heaven and a hell, and will shy away at least from doing anything really awful where the atheist has no logical reason not to do anything that is not entirely selfish since there are, after all, no consequences outside of the ones of this world. If you can get away with it in this life, and it benefits you, the logical thing to do is to do whatever it is (if you're an atheist), no matter how vile that thing might be.
Psyadam, you are really a dumb dumb. An atheist simply rejects all evidence for any gods thus far presented for consideration. That is all that an atheist is. There are good atheists and there are bad atheists. There are also smart people and stupid people. You are one of the stupid people. You should find something more fitting for your aptitude than existential discussion. Shouldn't you be practicing for the Special Olympics or something?

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote